Find your next favourite story now
Login

13+
Probably Not

"I had to write about it or it'd drive me crazy... we've been talking about it in Civics..."

5
5 Comments 5
1.2k Views 1.2k
297 words 297 words
Dear my love, I know you'll be the one to find me. I'm not sorry for doing this, though perhaps for not telling you. But I knew you would not approve. My love, I'm tired... I'm dying anyway... or I was... I had six months to live, sweetie, I was bedridden. I didn't want to be a burden. I didn't want to lose all my dignity. I didn't want you to see me suffering. I was tired, my special one. I hope, even if you do not approve, you will now understand. 

This was my choice alone. I, David, 75 with terminal lung cancer, spoke with my physician about where I could go from where I was at. He informed me that within this state, assisted suicide is legal. He informed me of the alternatives, of the results and the risks, he went through everything he had to do, legally, and I waited exactly fifteen days- that's the waiting period. My pills arrived. I still had the choice to not go through with it. I went through with it.

My love, don't attempt resuscitation. I made sure I timed it so when you got home, I'd look like I was asleep, and I'd be cold- too far gone to bring back.

Please know that I love you, and I will see you on the other side.

diagnosis

prognosis

risks

results

more than one opinion

the doc can not assist

more than giving you the pills

You must be terminal and competent

and eighteen.

choices to tell loved ones

choices to leave notes

choices to choose the time

choices to go through with it

choices to not go through with it

we've been speaking of it in civics,

I wonder if my uncle's ever thought of it.

probably not.

Published 
Written by Colors_of_the_Wind
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments