Find your next favourite story now
Login

13+
Winter Solstice Ceremony and War

"The story centers around the Winter Solstice, with love and determination to protect others."

6
8 Comments 8
1.2k Views 1.2k
996 words 996 words
Competition Entry: Solstice

The Winter Solstice became a coming-of-age ceremony for many young men, including myself. The ceremony began as first light of the Solstice reflected off diamond embedded rocks around us. We were forbidden to speak, to see, to indulge in pride until the ending of the upcoming night. I felt my clan mates and friends around me, their presence overwhelming. I was startled when two giant but thin, gentle hands led me away from my original place. The ceremony and Winter Solstice had begun.

The sun's warm rays shone around us. I could not see. However, I knew where my friends and I were. We took places on ceremonial pedestals, each one taller than the last. The tallest pedestal was for the youth chosen as the next king of our clan. Suddenly, the darkness gave way to light. The scene before me was breathtaking. My friends, my family, the Elders all looked up at me. I became befuddled. Was I placed on the highest pedestal? I turned my gaze downward. It was hard to believe. I remained still, as our current king walked majestically to the very middle of the clearing, our eyes met. Our glorious King raised his arms to the sky. The signal for the coming-of-age ritual to begin.

The clan raised their voices. The men chanted vigorously while women and children sang hymns with voices as heavenly as nightingales. One by one, the stone pedestals glowed with an ocean blue light. The pedestals no longer stone had transitioned into Phantom Quartz.

“The Solstice upon us, a joyous day.”

Our king had set in motion the prayer. A yellow light enveloped my body. The power of Earth, Stars, and our ancestors flowed into me.

“The planets align, our wishes made clear. A new king born. Ancestors, we await your blessing to coronate this youth.”

Warmth, love, and respect filled my entire being. The first snow of the Winter Solstice fell, my features changed. I was now qualified and fit to receive the throne.

The ritual ended, my family approached me. I made my father and brothers proud.

“Ellesar, I am so proud of you. May our ancestors guide your way, my youngest.”

I never experienced a Winter Solstice this genuine. Around me, my people, and our dear king laughed and danced in joyous celebration. The children followed, leading me along. Such happiness, such peace I thought it was not possible. But, here it lies, before my very eyes. However, wherever there is the smallest ray of hope, the darkness will again, destroy it.

The Winter Solstice has always been known as a joyous day. The day when the Sun Goddess, Amaterasu-omikami, emerged from the cave where she had hidden, bringing light back to the world. Since then, many moons passed. On this day, many wars started during the eleventh and twelfth centuries. The humans started wars with their race and others. There were few reasons, some being very minor, to start the wars that took place this day. Expanding one’s land, stealing high priced jewels and heirloom accessories, jealousy, and claiming women as if they were farm animals.

Today, I too, will see the baring fangs of war. The most treasured day of my new life…fell into chaos. Trees, cliffs, every bit of nature was plagued with orcs and wolves. We were surrounded. My brothers created a circle around myself, the children, and our king. From all sides, the orcs rushed us, weapons raised, yelling their battle cries. A barrier formed around us, erected by my brothers, who served as knights. Our king and I held the younger of the children in our arms, their tears soaking their tiny, doll-like faces.

“We must take the children and our kings to safety!”

My brothers stood valiant and poised, risking their safety for my own. My thoughts and feelings merged into one. As their new king, I had to protect my subjects. Although, as their younger brother, I can’t let them die. My faith and determination seeped out, resulting in emerald-green magic consuming my body. I would never stand on the sideline, my will and my duties forgotten. I shall fight.

The black of the longest night swallowed everything and everyone. The barrier and I were the only ones illuminating the dark. My magic manifested into that of a phantom dragon. Taking a risk, I charged forward, breaking through my brothers’ barrier.

“Ellesar!”

My hands directed the dragon, smashing it into the surrounding orcs.

“Fight! Protect those who cannot protect themselves! Fight to protect yourselves, along with our home!”

This day I let my voice ring loud and true.

Heeding my words, a rainbow of colors spread throughout the dark, assaulting the orcs and their wolves.

"We shall not be defeated without a fight. This is our home."

The night of this Winter Solstice seemed to drag on. The snow raged, but the fire in our hearts fueled our determination. Soon, we had three larger far stronger orcs left. I attracted one away from my people, facing it alone. I dodged as best I could, with what stamina I had left. Unfortunately, it was not enough. My leg snapped under the pressure of the steel club. I formed two green whips, aimed at the orcs’ heart. I succeed, but, the body slams into a small pillar, causing an avalanche.

The orcs fell to the ground, dead. Our king threw me out of harms way, being buried beneath the rubble. The sun rose, signaling the end of the Winter Solstice. Several people were hurt, but, only our king lost his life. After recovering his body, we sent him to our ancestors in the sky. I sat upon the throne.

“In the future, let this kingdom remain neutral.”

With my power, I, King Ellesar, cloaked my Elven kingdom from power hungry eyes. I would never let the kingdom suffer the same loss we experienced today. No longer, will our Winter Solstice be a day of mourning.

Published 
Written by Akizuki
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments