Find your next favourite story now
Login

G
Billy

"Tom Comes home"

3
5 Comments 5
808 Views 808
1.1k words 1.1k words
The homecoming

Tom was glad to be out of the hospital. He had little to take to his sons home from the hospital, A few pairs of pajamas, sleepers, the get well cards and pictures his family had taken to the hospital during his recovery. Old Tom would have preferred to be home, but his son had insisted that he stay with them for at least a month while he got his strength back. Young Tom wanted his dad here at his place over Christmas.

As he entered the house, he saw the beginnings of Christmas decorations. The large wreath on the door and Christmas lights and ornaments in a few large storage totes stacked against the kitchen wall awaiting his son to hang them for the holiday season. Old Tom made his way to his room when he opened the bedroom door he stopped and took in the entire transformation and saw the work that they had done he was very touched.

Pictures of the family had been placed on the walls. The room was decorated in the same colors that had been in his bedroom. They had his bedroom furniture, curtains along with his area rug moved to his father's room to his new downstairs bedroom. While his father was recovering, his son had contractors enlarge the current half bath to a full bathroom for his father. Put up wainscoting along the walls with a chair rail. They hoped what they had done would please the old farmer.

“It as if I were home, you shouldn't have gone to all this fuss just for me, thank you,” Tom marveled. One of the things he wanted most was to be in his bed again with his things around him, and here they all were. He was amazed at the effort they all must have gone through to have made this possible.

He walked over to the pictures hanging on the walls that must have been taken from the photo albums then set in frames. He studied them; a few of him and his wife when they were young and just starting their life together. One of Jenny holding her young son in her arms with her every present proud smile. It was the day young Tom came home from the hospital “Karen's work dad” Faye said. She watched her father-in-law study each picture. She hoped it was okay to remove them from the albums, Gramps, I just really wanted you to feel like you were home. These were grams favorites.” Karen said. Tom turned and walked over to his granddaughter smile gave her a huge one armed hug. “It's perfect, so perfect thank you... I don't know what to say.” Tom said still stunned and fought back the lump in his throat and the tears that might come at any moment.

He walked into the room and sat on the side of his bed. He opened the nightstand drawer sure enough; there was the zip-lock bag that contained Billy's night time snacks. Tom picked the up bag looked at it and smiled at Karen. He looked around in the room sighed. “I guess Billy is the only thing missing in here,” Tom said. He looked around. Then placed the goodies back in the drawer and closed it. Karen and her mom knew the dog biscuits were there and decided to leave them, after all, he would have known they had been removed. They had left everything in the dressers drawers the way Tom had placed them. “I am going make lunch, what would you like to eat?” Faye asked. 

“Whatever is on the menu, Faye will be okay with me,” Tom replied. “Well, that's good news because I got the hospital's famous mac and cheese recipe,” Faye chuckled as she walked back to the kitchen. 

Tom looked up at that. Karen announced he wasn't very hungry after all. Karen smiled at him and went to help her mom with the preparation of lunch. Karen gave him a wink before she left. “We're having beans and homemade brown bread Gramps, it Saturday so I think you will like that a little better.” Tom smiled at her nodding eagerly in agreement. Before Karen left, he looked around admiring the room; it was hard to believe the effort that they all must have done to make this possible just for him. A tear leaked out of the corner of his eye he laid back on his bed closed his eyes and drifted off wishing Jenny could have seen this.

Karen had a surprise for him but didn't want to get his hopes up to high. After lunch, Karen knocked on the bedrooms open door. Her Grandfather was reading a book his legs were crossed, and he looked very relaxed and comfortable. She was pleased to have him nearby like this and to see him here was very nice. She was scared that she might have lost her grandfather, so every day is a bonus. Tom laid the book down on his chest and removed his reading glasses and sat up to greet Karen. “come in, what can I do for you?” He asked. She sat beside him took his hand and began.“ Karen took his hand. "I got a call this morning from a man that lives in Hancock. He was traveling through the area heard the lost and found notices on the radio about a week ago.” 

The man's name is Ralph Phillips; he has a machine shop there. Apparently, a friend of his took a stray dog that made its way into their yard about three weeks ago. She was taking it to a Veterinarian clinic. He said the animal was in rough shape. But has no idea type of dog it was.; or even if it was put down or not. He is going to call them tonight when he gets home. I gave him Billy's description. But Mr. Phillips didn't have a look at him. Gramps, it might not even be him." Tom listened carefully to what Karen was saying. “Hancock?" Interrupting her. "Karen that's six hours from here; that can't be," Tom said. "How in hell could he end up there?"
“I don't know Gramps, but at least it's something; I guess we will have to wait I guess.”

Published 
Written by aidan
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments