Find your next favourite story now
Login

G
45

"Musing"

1
9 Comments 9
987 Views 987
276 words 276 words
Back in 1971, there were no text messages or emails or even pagers. If you wanted to talk to someone you had to find a pocket full of change and a pay phone that worked. Or wait until later.

I was stationed in a barracks with a couple of hundred men give or take a few. We had two pay phones on the floor and when it rang it was like a bunch of outhouse parrots all squawking the name of the person the call was for. 

45. An odd number. A right angle. Thirteen degrees above freezing. A perfect corner. A quarter and two dimes. Nine nickels. 

I suppose some could say it is a magical number. 4 + 5 = 9. Nine months to bring life. The degrees of angles within a pentagram. We have nine planets. Cloud Nine. I would think size 9 to be a perfectly acceptable dress size. And of course, there is the fabled 9" of legend and lore usually prayed for and lied about. 

45. Five less than 50. Nearly half a century. Colt 45. Almost the PNR line. There is probably a good argument to be made that 45 is a man's peak and just the beginning for a woman. Seems unfair.

45. Not young. But not old. A middle number. A respectable number. 16,425 days. 394,200 hours. Umpteen minutes and beaucoup seconds. 

I sit here at nearly 1:00 am trying to figure out the meaning of 45. What is it supposed to feel like? Will there be a parade? Do I get a medal? Will Publisher's Clearing House stop by with balloons and give me a truckload of cash? 

45. Think I'll just have a bowl of cereal and go to bed. 

Happy Anniversary to me.

Published 
Written by Dreamcatcher
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments