Find your next favourite story now
Login

13+
Cold Mountain

3
1 Comment 1
1.0k Views 1.0k
619 words 619 words
Smelling the burnt powder in the air from the fireworks that were set off nearby, as I am standing here waiting on the platform at the station and waiting on another midnight train. And knowing there is a storm forming up in the mountains, as I stand here waiting in the dark light of a cold bringer moon. Hoisting my bag as I hear the humming of those heavy diesels approaching. And boarding the train and picking my seat, as I allow the sound of the clicking rails do their magic as the train pulls out and feeling the car sway. Slowly closing my tired eyes as I fall asleep and get some needed rest.

I had a dream which concerned me and some friends I had, and it was like I had been transported in time to that room we all used to once gathered in. Together we had weathered many a storm and in those times, it was easy to tell black from white, and not having to sort things out or having to see all in shades of grey like now. And many a year has passed us all on by.

Not like then as we all gambled with time and chose our destiny, and never had us thinking that one road would eventually split and then shatter. And many a road was taken by each one of those friends just like I did myself, which would later have us lose contact with each other, and some would not be seen again, as the years passed and time marched onward. With there being those times I had fervently wished though I know it would be in vain, we could all simply meet and sit together in that room once again. To be able to gather like we did back when we were younger, when we never dreamed of ourselves growing old.

In that place where we had told a thousand stories, and where we had our songs sung as well as our music be played late into the night, and where we had shared a million laughs and tears and swore that we would always be there. But, as fate would have it we all went our separate ways. Just as I woke having to dry my eyes as I sat here in my seat on this midnight train, about the time that the storm forming in the mountains hit hard and fast.

Seeing the lightning flash and it being just like those old photographs taken with a flash of those old friends, and then hearing the thunder roll over all and sounding like all the books being closed when those old friends had finally left. Sitting here watching the storm through the window on this midnight train I could feel a stray tear leaking from these misty, tired eyes of mine, as I ride this train out west. Knowing deep in my heart my wish from that dream would purely be in vain. As I now hear the cold rain drumming harder on the roof of this train car I am in. And underneath the sound of the fury of the storm, I can still hear the clicking of the wheels on the tracks marking both time and distance. Sighing as I close my eyes, and feeling the car sway as the magic of the rails begins to work on me once again.

Offering up a silent prayer that all those old friends who are still here, and not behind the sun are safe and well as I cross those blue hills into Morpheus' plane once again. Having me wondering if by chance if they have ever had that same dream?

Copyright 2003: Timberwolf International LTD.

Published 
Written by Shotgun011
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments