Find your next favourite story now
Login

G
God, I Hope I Get It

9
10 Comments 10
1.2k Views 1.2k
743 words 743 words
They made the decision. A Chorus Line was going to be the first play, and the first of four musicals, in our coming season at the community theatre. Apparently there had been enough enthusiasm, and enough possible players, to fill out a complete cast of characters for one of the most famous plays ever produced on Broadway.

Auditions were scheduled and calls were made to schools and institutions in the area to make people aware that it would be happening. I made sure that my ballet dance class at the arts center knew about the coming production. In the meantime I had already been cast to appear in Guys and Dolls in June.

Rehearsals for Guys and Dolls are on going at the moment. I haven't been needed much because my part as Lt. Brannigan is a non-singing and non-dancing role. This was actually a good thing for me since I wanted to audition for A Chorus Line and the director was having those auditions on Monday and Tuesday this week. Call backs would be on Wednesday.

So, the upshot is that I was able to attend auditions on Monday while not being present for rehearsal for the show being produced at this moment. I had already attended the workshops given earlier this spring in March. So I was somewhat prepared for what would occur in the audition. I went and had my usual good time at the audition. I enjoy the process myself. I look upon it all as free lessons of sorts in the life of the theatre.

I was looking online Wednesday for the callback list. Around noon it was posted. I didn't get a callback. Several of my friends did. I was disappointed, to be sure. Then I noticed that only twelve males were on that list. And I knew that at least fourteen boys would be needed. In the play the two genders are called "boys" and "girls" because that is typical of the world of dance in show business. What this meant was that perhaps I still had a chance.

The cast list would be posted on Friday. Today. At around noon. So I was online hitting the refresh button and waiting for the list to go up. Finally, after it wasn't posted by one o'clock I had to leave the house and do some shopping. I do all the grocery shopping and I had things on sale that I needed to purchase today. I left the house, leaving my wife with Victor, our terrier mix.

I had been going to three or four grocery stores in pursuit of deals, and necessities, when I felt my cell phone vibrating in my pocket. I was inside a store and I checked to see who was calling me. I didn't know why it hadn't rang but somehow three messages had gone to my voicemail. When I got out to the car I checked and my wife had been calling.

When I reached her on her cell phone she was breaking up but I understood that she wanted to talk to me. I went ahead and called our landline. When she answered she was happy. I was on the cast list. She had seen it posted by a friend on Facebook. I got the part of Butch. She was excited. She asked if I was. Of course. I'm simply not as demonstrative. I was ecstatic. I got it!

When I got home I unloaded all of the groceries and put them all away. Then I got online to check the theatre site. I needed to see for myself that I had got it. I had. I looked up the role online, checking the cast of characters for A Chorus Line. Butch was one of the "rejects" from the first scene of the show. Good enough. I was going to get stage time.

And apparently I would be in the finale with all of the characters in the same costume. I would get to sing the first song of the show, "God, I hope I Get It." Also the final song, "One Singular Sensation." This was going to be so much fun.

We're going to have special classes in the summer to get some of us up to speed for the dance routines. This is great as far as I'm concerned. More free lessons. I'll be loving this.

I may even take another dance class at the arts center. Couldn't hurt.

Published 
Written by Survivor
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments