Find your next favourite story now
Login

G
I'm Arnold Palmer

"My compliments.."

9
11 Comments 11
1.6k Views 1.6k
476 words 476 words
As a young man I loved to play golf. I scuffed around the course. Strong. Wild. Took pride in hitting the ball farther than others. Still do. Yet it took the wisdom and humor of an old timer one day after playing a round of golf with me to put things into perspective.

After slamming the ball all over creation and scrambling on every hole, I proudly set my clubs down next to his and waited for the awe to set in. I mean how could he not? I outdrove him on every hole. I made some incredible shots from the trees and bushes. The fact that he beat me shouldn’t weigh in at all. Should it? He wiped his brow and said “Son.. if you’re a golfer.. then I’m Arnold Palmer.”

Often the perception of ourselves has nothing to do with reality. I used to be a writer. There was a time I thought I was a pretty good one. Then, like the old timer said, “Son.. if you’re a writer.. everyone else is Ernest Hemingway.”

This place is a storehouse of amazingly talented people. Writers who have vision and imagination and courage. They seemingly whip out constant barrages of humor and wit tempered with endless thought-provoking themes. Admittedly, some I don’t understand, and others make my head hurt thinking about it, but always I find relevance in their efforts.

CKAcres finest works.. or Fuzzy at his best.. with either one wisdom lurks.. and they always pass every test..

Lisa writes her words so well.. and Sherzahd can’t be beat.. no one is better than Isabelle.. and reading Alys is such a treat..

Rolandloops is all he can be.. and DirtyMartini has talent galore.. none more elegant and graceful than the Sea.. and who could ever forget 3Rebel4..

Candle_in_the_Wind lights the way.. while Daisy trumpets her stuff.. Colors_of_the_Wind is never just grey.. it’s impossible to read them all enough..

Frogprince dances to his own tune.. Circle_Something makes the rounds.. Spreadmywings flies to the moon.. while Sprite writes in leaps and bounds..

Kiki’s words leave us reeling.. while Burnt7 fans the flames.. Mystic_Angel_77 couldn’t be more appealing.. and Snoop will never leave us the same..

Poppet’s words stir our thoughts.. and AriesDragon is always there.. neither one will ever be caught.. each one cared enough to share..

I know there are more.. I’ve named only a few.. writers and poets to the core.. and I am including all of you..

Forget the contests. Forget the publishing deals. Take pleasure in the art and craft that you display so magnificently. It has been my honor and privilege to read.. and comment.. and vote for all of you. I couldn’t have laid down my pen for anyone better.

Published 
Written by Dreamcatcher
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments