Find your next favourite story now
Login

G
Soaring

"Oh to be a bird today in San Francisco."

3
2 Comments 2
1.1k Views 1.1k
401 words 401 words
Today the sky in San Francisco is a subdued blue with nary a cloud visible and a soft gentle breeze off the deep blue water. What type of bird shall I be flying floating above the city? That is a decision very difficult to make. I think it depends on where I am in this beautiful city.

If I am near the wharf at Pier 39 soaring over the sea lions frolicking for the tourists, I could be a seagull. I would steal the food tossed into the air for the resident sea lions or sit on the pilings calling for my brothers at the wharf.

If I am in Golden Gate Park, I could be a Warbler or Junco singing and serenading lovers holding hands strolling through the gardens. I would sit in the Garden for the Blind adding to their experience of touching and smelling the aromatic plants giving them a sweet song.

If I am soaring among the tall buildings in the Financial District, I could be a Peregrine Falcon, which nests on the peaks of the skyscrapers, raising my family. At night, I prowl the air in search of rodents to capture and feed my chicks. I soar above the buildings in what seems to be a never-ending aerial ballet.

If I am a Brown Pelican, I could fly over the waters of San Francisco Bay plunging from a height of 65 feet into the water, filling up my throat pouch with up to three gallons of water and fish. I strain out the water and swallow the fish.

If I am near City Hall, I could be one of the many Pigeons flying and scavenging for food, as people walk quickly on their way. I keep the streets and sidewalks clean of scraps of discarded food, but often fight with other pigeons to survive.

I am one of the thousands of birds, which go about my life every day in the city. Today however, I elect to be one of the old wise Great Horned Owls, which inhabit Golden Gate Park. I have the classic hoot sound that I make in early evening. In late March, my chicks will hatch and I will fly out during the day gathering food. I spend my time around the bison paddock protecting my nest.

Today, I am one of the raptors, which live in Golden Gate Park. Try to see me.

Published 
Written by frogprince
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments