Find your next favourite story now
Login

G
The Coward Across the Street

"Unfortunately, based on a true story."

5
5 Comments 5
820 Views 820
416 words 416 words
The Coward Across the Street

I’m a crime drama junkie.

That means I've spent the last decade of my life watching movies and TV shows about guys who lack in terms of reasoning but have a lot of balls.

Just like romantic movie junkies, a little part of us assumes we’d have the ability to fit into the craziness of these fantasy worlds. Unlike crime drama junkies, however, romantic movie junkies are often forced to face reality. As crime drama junkies, we often die with the conviction that we possess the moxie needed for a life of crime.

I, on the other hand, was spared no such ignorant bliss.

It was over a year ago, but I remember it like it was yesterday. It was a cold and quiet night as I walked home. The only footsteps I could hear as I walked home were my own. The wind blew softly as the moonlight reflected off of the eyes of stray dogs.

A Toyota Corolla sped past me and parked by one of the gates on the opposite side of the road. Just as the driver tooted, a frantic woman rushed out of the yard. She tried to get in the car. However, before she could, the driver rushed out and grabbed her by the collar. She held her head low as he shouted at her and shook her furiously. With what I hoped was his last act of cruelty that night, he slapped her and forced her into the car.

I stood frozen across the road, unmoved and unnoticed. My mind was running wild with reasons why I was right not to interfere. ‘There’s probably more to this. He’s a traditionalist, time will eradicate his kind, if I intervene, I’ll only make things worse for her.’

I felt my reasoning was solid, at least until I got home. I lay down in my bed staring motionlessly at a plain white ceiling.

I thought about some of my favourite crime drama characters, how they would have walked right up to him and rightfully called him an asshole. My favourite characters would have called him on his injustice with no concern for who he was or how big he was. My favourite characters would have crossed the street.

I thought about a quote, a quote from a crime drama character I created.

“Bravery comes from principles; fear comes from logic. So no one has better reasoning than the man who’s afraid.”

Published 
Written by Vuto_MSK
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments