Find your next favourite story now
Login

13+
A Vampire's Lullaby Chapters 3 and 4

"Sad, I hope."

6
6 Comments 6
1.1k Views 1.1k
2.5k words 2.5k words

Ch. 3: Now and Forever, Loathing

What could I do? I'm stuck here. They never left all at once! In fact, they stood right outside my door. I put my head to rest in my hands.

(How long have I been here?)

Even if I wanted to escape, they'd catch me before I could even open a door or window. Really though, how long has it been since I've been brought here? A loud commotion came from the other side of my door.

"Starlight, don't! He's still unstable!"

Unstable?

"Dad, he can't hurt me. Excuse me!" The door made a clicking sound and flew open.

"Dad! What did you do to him? He's nearly an Ophelia!"

A girl with long, orange hair ran to my side and began gently caressing my hair. Such sweet and gentle hands, I thought to myself.

"Heaven, you and Vladimir have locked him in here for the past five weeks." My ears pricked, although I still didn't have enough energy to even prop myself up.

"We have no choice, Crystal. He's trying to go see his girlfriend." A loud gasp sounded beside me.

"Daddy, how could you? Vladimir whisked him away in front of all those humans, right? His girlfriend is probably worried sick!"

As right as this girl was, I needed to find out myself. Monica needed to see I was still alive.

Vladimir had just finished feeding and walked around inside a white room. Pictures of many people hung on the walls. Vladimir had run his hand over one, which was of a red head with braids and emerald green eyes.

"I am sorry. I have caused suffering for your son. I only... wanted to keep him alive." The formal vampire leaned his head against the painting as if asking for forgiveness from the painting itself.

Thanks to help from Crystal and Starlight, I was able to sit up.

"Wow! He's beautiful, mom."

Starlight seemed entranced with my red hair, but I really didn't care. Even though I could see, I couldn't see. A fog clouded over my mind.

"Mom, something's wrong with him."

"What do you mean?"

"His pupils are growing bigger."

"Oh, dear."

I had left the white room, which I kept secret, even from my family. Suddenly, a dreadful feeling came over me. Like a portion of my mind was slipping away. I could only think of one thing.

"Alex!"

This feeling, such despair, I could truly feel his emotions. I made a monster of myself yet again.

Monica had cooped herself up in Alex's house for the past five weeks. She kept playing that night repeatedly in her mind.

"How could he have disappeared?" Several knocks on the glass door interrupted her thoughts.

(Shit. It's Dylan!)

The door opened, and heavy footsteps sounded throughout the house, coming closer.

"Monica, I'm back."

She didn't answer.

Dylan roughly stood her up by her hair and slapped her.

"Ouch!"

She fell to the floor, holding her cheek.

"I'm back, Monica."

Monica refused to speak. But, she didn't avoid his abuse either.

(Damn it Alex, what happened to you?)

I had quickly made my way to the room I gave to Alex. The feeling from before was growing stronger. Heaven, Crystal and their daughter were standing beside Alex.

"Heaven, what is wrong with him?"

Starlight was gently trying to rouse Alex. Unsuccessful, his head flopped to the side. The feeling in my body had brought fear to me. I cast Starlight aside and brought Alex into my arms.

"Alex! Alex, open your eyes! ALEX!"

Desperately calling his name, I brought his body closer to mine. I knew his mind was closing itself off. I was making him suffer, was I not?

I didn't believe this.

(I've never seen Vladimir act in such a way.)

My wife and daughter stood in shock as well. Vladimir was cradling the newborn like a baby! Why did he care so much for this kid?

(I just don't understand.)

"Dad, I'm getting scared."

Starlight buried herself into my shirt. My daughter had never gotten scared before. I soothed her by caressing her hair, slowly and lovingly.

"Of what?" She looked at the newborn.

"His mind is going crazy. It's filled with thoughts of a beautiful woman."

That was what scared her?

"Heaven, help him. You and Vladimir drove him to this."

My wife, my gorgeous wife.

(Jeez, I can never say no to her.)

I really didn't want to, but I knew why she told me to help.

"Vladimir."

He turned towards me, the newborn barely conscious in his arms.

"Let's perform a mind jack."

Vladimir's eyes grew so large that I swear it was as if he had converted back to a human. I stared silently at the newborn.

(You're really important to him. How can that be?)

I had question after question roaming in my brain. I had never seen Vladimir look so happy and alive. Also, not this sad either.

Who was Alex really?

Heaven and Vladimir positioned Alex on the bed, sitting against the backboard.

"Crystal."

The elegant, orange-haired woman perked at the sound of her name.

"Vladimir."

He looked down at the floor.

"If he starts screaming in pain, abort the mind jack."

Crystal smiled, "I will, Vladimir."

With Heaven on the left and Vladimir on the right, they stood in place, closing their red eyes. Without another word, Vladimir and Heaven collapsed.

"Mom, Dad and Vladimir will be back right?"

Even though she was smiling, Crystal's eyes spoke differently.

"They'll be back. They won't abandon us."

"Come back safely with Vladimir and the newborn, my love."

At that exact same time, a golden haired woman was trailing a woman with mahogany hair and a man with white hair.

(So that's him.)

She had been following the pair for two weeks, in order to gain information on them.

"Hmm, she doesn't really look or act like a killer. But..."

The woman knew she couldn't find the culprit through looks or attitude. She needed facts and evidence.

"So, why am I helping you again?"

"You're not. The chief just made you come with me, Sloan."

The woman called Sloan pointed at the golden haired woman. "Get a clue, Taylor."

Sloan shifted her pointed finger in the direction of the current targets, and something was happening.

"Sloan, let's get closer."

Heaven and I arrived inside of Alex's mind. It was colored nothing but black.

"Vladimir?"

"I am right here, Heaven."

Even though we could see in the dark, we were not in the real world.

"Start calling his name."

We managed to find each other, and like lost little children, we walked through the darkness, hand in hand.

Taylor and Sloan carefully made their way over to their targets. Taylor put a finger to her lips as a reminder to stay quiet.

"Forget him already. He probably still has his guts hanging from underneath the car. He's dead!"

Taylor's face darkened. This was what she needed! She quickly grabbed a voice recorder and held it near where the white man stood.

(This is it!)

Alex's mind was still pitch black.

"Geez, how're we gonna help him if we can't see shit?"

I continued forward, making sure not to separate from Heaven.

"I do not know. This is both our first time actually performing a mind jack."

We had no clue as to what Alex's mind was like. But we knew full well what could happen through those before us. Because our minds connected with Alex's, anything that happened in here could affect us directly.

"Vladimir, you okay? You're unusually more quiet than normal."

It was because I needed to bring Alex back to consciousness.

Monica buried her face in her hands. Painful sobs escaped her. Sloan and Taylor watched, ready to jump out.

"No! You did this! Just turn yourself in! You kicked him in front of that car!"

Monica was yelling, and people started looking their way.

"He deserved it. I told you I would kill him if you didn't listen. You sealed his fate."

Dylan shoved Monica into the car and they drove away.

"Oh my... god!" Sloan was actually very surprised.

"Sloan, as much as I like seeing this face of yours, we need to confront Ms. Monica Rachel."

Taylor had given a face of defiance and determination.

Vladimir and Heaven were still walking hand in hand through the darkness.

"What the hell? How long is this gonna go on? I'm starting to get pissed!"

Vladimir just walked silently, as Heaven threw a tantrum. But, something in the distance caught his eye, a white light.

"Heaven look."

"What?" The easily angered blonde vampire hissed with irritation.

"Oh. I see now." The white light was growing larger.

"Vladimir, it's getting bigger, the light."

It was getting bigger. Within seconds, the white light surrounded them. They could also see each other now.

"Okay? New born, Can you hear us?"

No response. Vladimir joined in.

"Alex. Please answer us. Please!"

Vladimir's voice was loud and frazzled.

"Newborn!"

Heaven still shouted, but worried about Vladimir.

(Vladimir. Seriously, what was so special about him?)

Ch. 4: Now and Forever, Loathing (part 2)

That white light that surrounded us did not stay long. Soon clear blue skies, sand, and the ocean replaced it. The sun shone brightly.

"Vladimir, the Sun!" Heaven's distressed shouting brought me back to my senses. For a moment, I had forgotten my worries and welcomed the Sun.

"Vladimir!"

I knew what I was, and what would happen if I continued to stand here. But the burning never came.

"Vladimir?"

Heaven called my name for the third time.

"Ah. Sorry. Heaven, it is okay to come out. We will not burn."

Heaven was hesitant, but he eventually came from the shade of the cave.

"Tsk, where is this?"

I had seen these surroundings many times due to my constant nightly visits.

"This is the beach in our city."

The two blonde vampires, able to walk through this imagined, sunlit world, had looked around for any sign of Alex. That was until Vladimir stopped in his tracks.

"Vladimir, what's wrong? Oh."

A small kid with flaming red hair held onto Vladimir's leg. The kid then reached his arms out to Vladimir. Heaven didn't know what to say. But, Vladimir took the child into his arms.

"Hello. Are you alright?" The little boy nodded in response to Vladimir's question.

"What the hell?" Heaven's mouth spouted.

He watched Vladimir caress the child. His rhythm was slow and loving. The little boy giggled. Filled with happiness, the boy pointed to a house overlooking the beach. The boy had run off.

"Heaven, he is in there."

Without anything more to say, Vladimir and Heaven made their way to the house with large glass windows and doors.

The house was clean and decorative. I couldn't take my eyes off anything.

"Whose house is this, Vladimir? You seem to know it."
Vladimir had remained quiet for a few more seconds. "I do know it. This is where Alex lives. This house belongs to him."

I did not see that coming. The layout, the decorations, this house definitely cost thousands of dollars.

(How can that newborn afford this?)

"Because, I'm a rich kid. That's how."

Vladimir and I quickly turned around.

"You didn't expect me, did you?"

Vladimir stepped forward.

"We were looking for you. To... bring you back."

"Then just head right back out that door. I'm not going anywhere."

Vladimir stepped closer to Alex, or his conscious, anyway.

"Alex, I truly apologize. You are hurting terribly. I know."

A vase flew towards Vladimir, knocking him in the head, and shattering.

"Ow!"

Heaven tried to run over to Vladimir, but thin streams of black smoke came up from within the floorboards and wrapped tightly around his body. Heaven struggled trying to free himself.

"Ugh, let go of me. Fuck!"

Alex stared coldly at Vladimir. He raised his hand, which held a wooden stake.

"Vladimir, move! Don't just sit there!"

Alex stood for a few moments, then brought the stake toward Vladimir.

"NO!"

"...!"

Crystal and Starlight were sitting in two royal blue Victorian chairs. It had already been five hours.

"Mom, do you think everything is going okay?"

Crystal looked at her daughter.

"I don't know. But, Vladimir and your father are very stubborn. They won't leave until they save him. Mainly Vladimir."

Starlight looked at her hands and folded her hands together.

(Vladimir... don't be scared. You can overcome this feeling!)

Starlight's body was on the verge of violently shaking, but she suppressed it so as not to worry her mother.

(Alex, don't give in to your anger. There's a reason for everything. Don't give in.)

Heaven, still restrained, had fear in his eyes, which quickly turned to relief. Vladimir had moved at the last second, grabbing Alex's hands.

"Alex, listen to me."

"You say you know how I feel."

A long pause went by, then Alex broke it.

"The fuck you do! I was so happy. I was finally gonna marry her after five years."

The stake fell from Alex's hand, and he fell into Vladimir's arms, both knelt to the ground.

"You've turned me into a monster. You and that guy. Both of you"

Alex was speaking of Vladimir and the man who had pushed him in front of the car that night.

Alex's voice trailed away, replaced by heavy, sorrowful sobs. Vladimir could say nothing else. He just sat quietly as Alex released his anger, his sadness and his reason.

"I'm going to kill him."

Heaven was set free, and the three vampires gathered. Heaven sighed.

"Listen up, newborn. You still have a lot to learn. So show some restraint until then."

Alex smiled.

Vladimir spoke, "Shall we go home?"

The pitch dark from before enveloped the three, and they vanished.

Starlight jumped to her feet.

"Mom!"

At that moment, Heaven, Vladimir and Alex woke with a start, trembling and coughing. Vladimir and Heaven were the first to recover. However, Alex continued, his trembling turning into violent jerks. Vladimir scooped the redhead into his arms. Heaven and his family watched.

"Alex, slow your breathing."

Vladimir instructed Alex calmly, but with power behind his voice. After several coaxes, Alex breathed normally and opened his eyes.

"...I'm sorry. But, I never wanted this."

Vladimir looked dead at Alex.

"Vladimir, why did you save me?"

Alex wasn't alone in thinking of the question. Heaven showed his curiosity as well.

"Alex. Believe me. I will tell you when the time is right. But, now, it is nearly sunrise. We must sleep."

Curiosity lingered in his mind, Alex retreated to the bed. Just then, a small ray of sun hit his arm. But, he didn't burn.

(I'm not... burning. How is that possible?)

Alex immediately shoved the thought aside.

"I need to focus on killing that bastard!"

That and,

(Monica, I'm coming right now. Sorry. But, I'm not waiting any longer.)

Alex opened his room's window. The sun shining on Alex, was full force, but nothing happened. He jumped and ran far away while the others were asleep.

(Monica. I'm coming!)
Published 
Written by Akizuki
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments