Find your next favourite story now
Login

13+
Decisive Moments - Chapter 7

"Teeg and Ash get some news"

1
1 Comment 1
1.1k Views 1.1k
3.2k words 3.2k words
DECISIVE MOMENTS – CHAPTER 7

“Hey, man! Can I borrow your shaving cream? I’m out.”

I turned to see Connor standing at the bottom of the stairs. He was glancing into the kitchen where Teagan was cooking. I had offered to help but was turned down with an emphatic no! I still hadn’t gotten any better with my dismal culinary skills. I found it rather offensive that the two of them continued to remind me of this, however.

“Yeah, no problem! It’s in the cabinet in my bathroom,” Teagan yelled back, as I heard him rattle through the silverware drawer, before he called out, “Aislinn! It’s ready.”

I put my book down that I had been reading for one of my classes and headed into the kitchen. Teagan had already made the plates and set the table. I sat down and my mouth started watering over the smells of the chicken dish in front of me. He sat beside me and handed me a glass of iced tea with a grin. We ate in a comfortable silence while holding hands. It didn’t last long, however.

I jumped at the sudden loud bang from upstairs, as a door was slammed shut. It was immediately followed by the sound of someone stomping toward the stairs. I jumped again, when Connor suddenly bellowed, “Aislinn Margaret!”

Teagan and I exchanged confused looks as we listened to my brother storm down the stairs. Before I could answer him, he appeared in the kitchen doorway, face red and steam practically coming from his ears. He stood there, glaring at me for several seconds before I couldn’t take it anymore.

“What?” I demanded.

He raised his clenched fist and growled, “I wanna know what this is.”

I glanced at Teagan eyebrow raised, and he shook his head, every bit as lost as I was. I took a stab in the dark. “Uh, your hand?”

“Cute, Ash.” His tone told me that he really didn’t find it funny, though. He strode over to the table and slammed something down on it. When he lifted his hand, I wished the ground had opened up and swallowed me whole. Oh God, this was not happening to me.

“Now, would you like to tell me what that is?” He asked in a voice that was much calmer than he appeared as he crossed his arms over his chest.

“Well…” I frantically tossed ideas around until I decided just to hit it head on. Shoulders straight and square, my eyes met his and didn’t look away when I answered, “Those are birth control pills.”

“Whose are they?” he demanded.

I shot him a bland look. “Really? Seriously?”

“Why the fuck do you have them?” He started pacing, his hands clenching and unclenching. A quick glance at Teagan showed that he was sitting there enjoying the show. I pulled a face at him and he winked a response.

“Hello? I’d like an answer here!” I looked back at Connor to see him standing there, glancing down at me. I blew out a frustrated sigh. When had my brother become so stupid?

“Why do you think I have them?” I replied, sarcasm all but dripping from my words.

“Oh, no! Oh, hell no!” he shouted. “That’s it. I’m calling Mom!” he informed as he pointed at me with a shaking finger.

I stared at him, incredulous. “What?” There was no way that I’d heard my twenty-two-year-old brother say he was going to tattle on me.

“You heard me,” he stated as he pulled his cell phone from his pocket. “I’m telling Mom.” My jaw dropped when he punched in a number, hit call and put it on speakerphone

“Hello?”

A strangled noise came from Teagan at the sound of my mother’s voice, as she answered. A glance told me that he was about one second from losing the battle to not laugh. I shot him a glare that had him studying the food in front of him as if it held life’s answers.

“Mom? I need to talk to you. Ash and Teeg are here, too. You’re on speakerphone,” he informed her.

“Okay…” she said slowly. “Connor, what’s going on?”

He stood there with his arms crossed and the phone held out in his hand while he gave me a disapproving glare. I could only roll my eyes at him; I couldn’t believe he’d just called our mother!

“Well, I had to get something out of Teeg’s bathroom a minute ago. I accidentally knocked a couple of things over and guess what I found?” he asked her.

“I don’t know. What?”

“It seems Aislinn has birth control pills,” he stated with a triumphant look on his face.

“Okay… and?”

Connor looked at the phone in shock. “Wait, what?” he stuttered in confusion. “Mom! I just told you that your eighteen-year-old daughter has birth control pills!”

“Not that it’s any of your business, Connor Dylan, but I already knew about it. How do you think she got them?”

Connor gaped at the phone in disbelief.

“Now, I’m at work and I need to go. Stay out of your sister’s business, young man!” At that, she hung up.

Connor stood staring down at the phone in consternation. Smug satisfaction wormed its way through me. I knew, however, not to let it show. A glimpse at Teagan told me that he found the whole thing hilarious. He, too, was fighting not to display how humorous he found the whole thing. We both knew that Connor was hanging on by a thread. I did smile when my man caught my eye and gave me a wink. It was quickly hidden when I saw Connor frowning.

“This is just…” he began but trailed off. He looked up and leveled a glare at Teagan. “Dude! She’s my little sister!” he exclaimed.

Teagan opened his mouth to respond, but I jumped in ahead of him. “So what?” I snapped, annoyed now. “He and I are adults, you know! Last time I checked, that meant I could have sex if I wanted to,” I declared as I pointed at him. Teagan tried to reach for my hand, but I moved it out of his reach.

“What? No, it doesn’t!” He shoved his phone back into his pocket with a scowl. I watched him, astonished at his statement.

“You did not, Mr. Manwhore, just tell me that.” I stood up from the table, ignoring Teagan’s efforts to get my attention. I had just moved from annoyed to pissed. Teagan again reached for me, but I batted him away.

Connor gaped at me before he recovered and scowled. “I’m pretty sure I did,” he responded, “and besides, we’re not talking about me, we’re talking about you. And you,” he said as he gestured toward me, “will not be having sex. End of story.”

I narrowed my eyes, enraged that he thought he could dictate this part of my life. I was so upset, I was shaking. My shoulders squared, as I prepared to put him in his place when Teagan stood up beside me. He grabbed my arm and tugged me back. The look that was shot at him caused him to wince, but he forced me back anyway. I resisted for a brief moment but then gave in and let him pull me away. Not before I let him have a dirty look so that he knew he was in trouble first, though.

He made sure I wouldn’t be going anywhere before he turned back to Connor. Teagan studied him for a moment before he cleared his throat and took a deep breath and plunged in. I was rather impressed.

“Conn, man, it’s not like that. Seriously,” He raised his hands, palms out, and continued. “It’s not what you think.”

Connor glowered at us before he gave a derisive snort. “You expect me to believe that? Dude, she sleeps in your room almost every night and now I find these?” he yelled as he pointed to the pills that now sat on the table.

“Which are none of your business,” I muttered from behind Teagan. He shot me a frustrated frown before turning his attention back to my pain in the ass brother.

“Look – “ Teagan started to say something when Connor interrupted.

“The problem I have here is that I just don’t think my sister is ready for this kind of relationship.” He crossed his arms over his chest and stared me down as my jaw dropped at that statement.

“Neither of us are,” Teagan told him firmly. “That’s why nothing’s happened.”

The look of disbelief on Connor’s face would have been comical if I hadn’t felt he was the douche nozzle king at the moment.

“Then why does she have those?” he demanded.

“Because,” Teagan explained, “she’s being responsible and being prepared.”

“There is nothing for her to be prepared for!” he declared, emphatic.

I rolled my eyes behind Teagan’s back. “Connor, do you really think I’m going to stay a virgin forever?”

“Right now, it seems a viable option,” he retorted.

I slammed my hands on my hips and gave him a glare that should have his head bursting into flames. “That is the stupidest thing I have heard!”

“No, it’s not,” he said, stubborn. He gave me a speculative look all of a sudden. “I wonder if they still allow women to be sequestered in convents,” he mused.

“Are you even listening to yourself?” I shouted. “This isn’t the Dark Ages, Connor!”

“I love her, man,” Teagan broke in. “I’m not going to do anything that’ll fuck it up.”

Connor seemed to deflate with those words. I almost felt bad at the sight of his slumped shoulders and bent head. Almost. The desire to wring his neck was still very strong. It was winning at the moment.

He looked up at me and sighed. “I just don’t want you to get hurt or do something you’ll regret, Ash.” He scrubbed a hand over his face and heaved a breath. “Dad wanted me to look out for you. I’m just trying to do my job.”

Well, shit. He just had to go there, the little asshole. The anger waned and was replaced by the desire to break down and cry. I stepped around Teagan and launched myself at my brother, wrapping my arms around him. “I love you, butt munch,” I mumbled as I fought back tears.

“I know you do. I’m awesome”.

“Don’t ruin it.”

* * * * *

A few days later I pulled up in front of Teagan and Connor’s and glanced at my roommate. Annie had come with me to avoid having to tutor an extremely needy student in U.S. History. The chick seemed to expect Annie to be at her beck and call and it was starting to stress my friend out.

“Are you sure it’s okay that I’m here with you?” she asked me, as she shifted nervously in the passenger’s seat.

I fought the urge to sigh in frustration. “I’ve answered this about a thousand times, girl. But to tell you again, it’s fine.” I giggled as a thought came to me. “In fact, it’s awesome, that you’re here!”

She looked at me in confusion. “Why?”

“Because now maybe my brother will shut up,” I told her. At her even more puzzled expression, I explained. “I’m here with Teagan so much that he’s convinced you don’t even know what I look like.”

“Well, he does have a point,” she said with a laugh.

“Shut up,” I muttered as I got out and shut the door. “You aren’t supposed to agree with him.”

“Why is that?” She asked as I went to the mailbox and grabbed the pile of mail that had accumulated the past few days.

I glanced at her in disbelief. “Because he’s my brother. He’s the enemy!” I informed her with a look of incredulity.

At that she burst out laughing. She was still laughing when I opened the front door and we walked into the townhouse. I made my way into the kitchen as she trailed along behind me still giggling. “It wasn’t that funny,” I grumbled.

“You didn’t see your face when you said it,” she gasped between laughs. “That’s what was so hilarious!”

“Who said what?” Connor asked from where he leaned against the counter with a bottle of water. His lacrosse gear was piled on the floor beside him, telling me he’d just gotten home from practice.

“Nothing,” I replied. “I just found out who my ally is, is all.” I looked over at Annie who was still fighting laughter. “And that would be no one,” I announced. She started giggling again and I will admit, I pouted some. Then I remembered my manners.

“Hey, Annie, this is my brother, Connor. Connor, this is Annie,” I introduced.

Connor frowned. “Annie? Why does that name sound familiar?”

“Probably because she’s my roommate,. You know, the one that doesn’t know what I look like?” I teased. I smirked as Connor looked at my blonde roommate and blushed. “Yeah, that’s right. She’s real.”

Connor shot me a look that screamed for me to shut up, but I just had to goad him a little more. “It’s funny how someone who doesn’t know what I look like will go somewhere with me.” I winked at Annie. “I mean, I could be a serial killer or something!” I finished, eyes wide in faked surprise.

A level look met my statement. “Shut it, squirt.”

“I’m just saying is all.”

“You made your point, all right?”

“Did I? That easy? That’s disappointing.”

Connor glowered at me. “Whatever. I’m out. Teagan is walking the monster, but he should be back soon.” He edged toward the doorway, carefully avoiding meeting Annie’s eyes. “I’ll catch you later, sis. Nice meeting you, Annie!” With that, he hurried out. As the front door slammed shut, I glanced at my roommate. When our eyes met, we both dissolved into gales of laughter.

“You’re so mean, Ash!” she gasped. “Did you see the look on his face?”

Just as I was about to respond, the front door opened and shut. The frantic scurry of nails on tile alerted me and gave me time to brace myself. I was just in time as a moment later, an elephant hit me full force. I stumbled back and laughed as Zver pranced and wiggled in a happy dog dance. I was fighting off the sloppy kisses from the massive animal when Teagan walked in.

“Zver! Lyezhat!” he called out. I breathed a sigh of relief when the dog immediately dropped to the ground. He looked up, eyeing me with an expectant glint. Teagan walked over to me and pulled me close to him. “Hey, baby. I missed you.”

I grinned as I snuggled in close. There was something about his hugs that made me feel like nothing could ever hurt me. “I missed you, too,” I whispered.

A sound pulled my attention away and I glanced at Annie in time to see her making a gagging motion. She grinned when she saw that I had caught her.

“Don’t be hatin’,” I teased. With a shrug, she moved over to the table and sat down.

Teagan leaned down and gave me a quick kiss before he let me go and wandered over to the fridge. “I saw Conn on my way back. He said you were being a pain in the ass to him.” He opened it and reached in to grab a bottle of water before he turned back to face me. “What’d you do to him?”

“Nothing. I just introduced him to Annie is all.” I smiled at him innocently. He returned the look with a raised eyebrow. “What?”

“Somehow, I think there might be more involved than that,” he said with a shake of his head. At my offended snort, he grinned and shrugged.

“At any rate,” I continued as I started sorting out the mail into separate piles, “It’s not my fault he can’t handle a joke.” I frowned at the large manila envelope that I held in my hand. “Hey, baby? This one is for you,” I said after I read the name on it.

He looked at me and held out his hand, curiosity all over his face. He glanced at the return address and narrowed his eyes. He tore open the packet and pulled out a stack of papers. I watched while he tensed as he started to read it, his jaw clenching tight. I approached him, concerned at the sudden tension that radiated from him.

“Teagan? What is it? What’s wrong?” I wouldn’t lie; the quiet intensity that now filled the room made me nervous. Even Zver gave a low whine.

Annie must have picked up on it as well. She stood from her seat at the table and cleared her throat. “Hey, Ash? I’m going to head out. My friend lives just a block or so away. I’ll see you tomorrow, okay?”

I nodded absently in answer. All of my attention was centred on the man standing tensely before me. His silence worried me more than anything. The sound of the door being opened and shut barely registered. I reached out and touched his arm, not sure about how it would be received. The feel of my hand got his attention and he shot me a look that made my heart stutter mid-beat.

“What’s going on?” I asked again.

He held up the hand with all of the papers. “These are from my lawyer.” He was silent for a moment, lost in thought. He ran a hand through his hair and blew out a breath before he looked down at me.

A feeling of impending doom settled over me. “Okay… so what do they say?”

He scrubbed a hand over his face before he gave the papers a wave. “Well, the DNA results are back. I am the father,” he announced. He gave a humorless laugh as he hung his head and stared at the floor.

“All right,” I told him. “We were already prepared for that.”

“There’s more, Aislinn,” he told me in a quiet voice.

The feeling of doom gained intensity. “There is?” He nodded. “What is it?”

He tossed the papers onto the table. “My case is being transferred to Florida from Washington.

I frowned in confusion. “What does that mean?” He shot me a look that ratcheted up my anxiety. It was a look of sadness and nervousness. “Teagan?”

“It means that my lawyer has informed me that Lauren is moving to Florida.” He fisted his hands and swallowed hard, his shoulders tense. “She’s transferring here to finish up her degree.”

Published 
Written by musesinspire
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments