Find your next favourite story now
Login

G
New Year, New Beginnings

"Sophie decides the new year deserves a new look and new attitude"

0
1 Comment 1
1.3k Views 1.3k
1.0k words 1.0k words
New Year, New Beginnings

She woke up the first day of the new year with a new outlook. She already had an appointment to get her hair done, her nails done and half her closet bagged up for Goodwill.

When Christmas came and she spent it with her family, she dodged the usual questions, “Are you seeing anyone?” “Do you have a boyfriend?”. It brought home the fact that she was all alone. But how did she tell her family that guys just didn't do it for her anymore. Most of the men she'd dated had been boring and pushy, wanting only to get in her pants as soon as the dinner bill was paid. She often went home with the feeling of another wasted night.

There was one person who had caught her eye, but she was too sophisticated, too beautiful to be interested in her. Hence the new Sophie. She thought if she changed her appearance, maybe she could catch Alyssa's eye.

Sophie strode into the beauty salon with a purpose. In an hour's time, she would be on her way to becoming a new woman. Then she would hit the mall and see about spending the gift cards she'd gotten for Christmas. She had enough that she could almost get a new wardrobe. Sometimes getting the gift cards hurt her feelings because she felt like people didn't understand her or want to take the time to think about what she'd really like. This time, though, with the new purpose inside her, she welcomed them.

Taking in her new appearance when the beautician was done, Sophie smiled. “It's perfect!” She gushed at her. She looked down at her nails, pleased with the color and length. She tipped the two ladies well and left the salon.

She walked into the first store at the mall and set to going through the clothes racks. One of the sales girls came over, offering her assistance. She nodded. “I'm wanting a new look. Unfortunately, I am gravitating towards what I always buy. Would you help me find something?”

The sales girl beamed at her. “I would be happy to.” They set out, scouring racks for good deals and things that would enhance Sophie's shape and coloring.

Sophie came out of the dressing room, time after time, showing off her choices. The sales girl nodded or shook her head each time she came out. When she was finished with what she had in the dressing room, Sophie put her own clothes back on. She hung up the things she didn't want and draped the things she was getting over her arm. She thanked the sales girl for her help and went to pay for her haul.

She repeated the process in the next two stores, coming out with several bags from each. Her feet were starting to kill her but she was thoroughly tickled with her trip so far. She decided that she'd done enough shopping for the day and headed home.

Tuesday morning, Sophie got out of bed earlier than she usually did. She took extra time with her hair and make up. In her bedroom, she pulled out one of her new outfits and put it on. She turned this way and that in the mirror, nodding at herself. “Knock 'em dead, Sophie.” She cheered at herself in the mirror.

When Sophie got to work, she walked in with her head held high. She had her shoulders back, exuding a new confidence that she hadn't left with the week before. She saw more than one person give her a double take. Apparently, her new attitude was noticeable.

Sophie went into her office, sitting down at her desk and started to work. She got up throughout the day, going to make copies and deliver reports. She passed by Alyssa's office more than once, but other than a 'Good morning' from Alyssa, no other words were exchanged. Sophie tried to hide her disappointment. That was not going to help her keep her new resolve.

At the end of the day, Sophie packed up her things and went home. She spent a little time picking out her outfit for the next day and fixed herself some dinner. She did a little surfing on the net and checked her email before she went to bed for the night.

Wednesday morning, Sophie repeated the routine of the previous morning. When she got to her office, she found someone had slid a note under her office door. She opened it up and read the barely legible scrawl. You looked very nice today. That was it, no signature, nothing to show who the note had come from. She couldn't help the goofy smile that curved her lips as she folded the note, sliding it into her purse. Sophie soon got busy with work and didn't have time to wonder who could have sent the note.

When Sophie got home from work that evening, she pulled the note from her purse and looked it over again. She didn't recognize the handwriting, so it was obviously someone she didn't have regular contact with. Mentally shrugging at what had to be a fluke, she shoved the note into her nightstand and went to bed.

Sophie dreamed of a mysterious stranger that night, waking up hot and achy. She took a longer shower than usual, relieving the need she woke up with. She still made it to work in plenty of time and looking her best. Under her office door, she found another note. There's something different about you this week. You looked beautiful today. Sophie smiled and stowed the note into her purse. Who in the world could be leaving these notes?

She received a new note each morning when she got to work. None of them had signatures or any clues on who they could be from. Several of her female coworkers had commented at one time or another throughout the week on her appearance, but she knew their handwriting enough to know that none of them had written the notes. She hoped that whomever it was would make themselves known soon. The guessing was making her nuts.

Published 
Written by TraceyMichael
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments