Find your next favourite story now
Login

13+
The Golden Bow

1
0 Comments 0
1.5k Views 1.5k
2.2k words 2.2k words
Jennifer sat up in bed and greeted the morning with a smile. She glanced at the calendar, filled with pink X’s, on the wall next to the bed. She felt a special glow inside that made her tingle from head to toe, and today nothing would extinguish it. She then enthusiastically said, “I don’t believe it, my wedding day is finally here! “ Wiping a tear from the corner of her eye, she hummed the tune, “Here comes the bride.” She got up, slid into her blue jean-shorts, a t-shirt, and donned a pair of loafers.

She thought for a moment and smiled, she had everything planned down to the last toast to the happy couple.
 
The phone rang and she picked it up and said, “Hello!”
 
Granny replied, “Hello Jennifer, can you come over this morning? “
 
Jennifer replied, “Yes, I have a hair appointment at ten am. I will stop by and see you first, OK? “
 
Granny replied, “OK, sweety sees you then. “
 
Jennifer thought, now what do you suppose that will be? A family heirloom, the diamond necklace Granny wore on her wedding day, or just something borrowed something blue. “Oh I can’t wait to see, “she uttered.
 
Jennifer pictured in her mind the handsome image of Mathew and quivered. He had piercing blue eyes, salt, and pepper colored short hair, an oval face with a cute button nose, a cute mustache, and stood six feet, with a robust figure--long legs and big hands. Oh-my, he is definitely worth keeping. In addition, I almost need a step stool to kiss him, guess that is why he calls me, “short-one,” she expressed. Mathew was three years older than her and a perfect man. She considered their love to be picture perfect.
 
She remembered the night he proposed to her, as if it was yesterday. Mathew had called that morning and said, “Jennifer I have reservations at Top Hat for eight pm, so wear your dancing dud’s, we’re having a, 'night to remember!’"
 
After taking a long bubble bath and two hours of pampering, Jennifer glanced at her sexy figure in the mirror and uttered, “Oh you beautiful baby!” She wore a full-length green gown that hugged all the right curves. Accentuated with emerald-green jewelry that made her green eyes sparkle with excitement she uttered, “OK, Mat, what’s up your sleeve now?”
 
When Mathew picked her up Jennifer noticed he was pale and sweaty. She kissed him and asked, “Darling, are you feeling OK?” All he did was nod his head yes. Now she was worried, because he was never this quiet.
 
Jennifer watched him closely all through dinner and he still looked pained and nervous. She wiped a drop of whip cream from her lips and said, “Excuse me Mathew, I need to powder my nose.”
 
She went into the restroom and rushed over to the bathroom mirror then closely examined herself, maybe she had a piece of broccoli stuck between her teeth. There was nothing there, and her makeup was still intact. She backed up and turned around checking for a tear or stain in her gown, maybe Mathew had seen something and was afraid of hurting her feelings.
 
Mathew pulled out Jennifer’s chair when she returned to the table. “Welcome back sweetheart,” he told her. He coughed and with a shaky voice said, “I have something to ask you darling.”

He walked over to her, turned her around to face him, then reached into his suit pocket and pulled out a small black velvet box. He was shaking so hard he almost dropped the box, then bent down on one knee and took her small hand in his. In addition, with a quivering voice said, “Jennifer Wilson, will you marry me?” He slowly opened a small blue velvet box, revealing an antique silver wedding band and matching engagement ring.
 
Jennifer excitedly replied, “Oh Mathew Roger! Yes I will marry you,” wiping a single tear of joy from the corner of her eye. “Oh sweetheart the rings are so beautiful. I love you!”

She melted in Mathew’s arms as their lips touched and kissed deeply. She felt him relax and heard a big sigh of relief. The whole room noticed, and vibrated with applause as they sat down. The waiter brought cooled champagne to the table, poured them their first glass, and uttered, “Congratulations!”
 
She brought her thoughts back to the present as she drove into Granny’s driveway, walked to the door and knocked. The door opened and she uttered, “Hello Granny! Guess what, I’m getting married!”
 
Granny greeted her with open arms saying, “Hi dear, I am so happy for you. You will make such a beautiful bride! Come sit next to me on the sofa, I have a surprise for you! “

Jennifer sat down on the sofa and noticed a package on the coffee table tied with a golden bow. “Granny you did not have to buy me another present,” she uttered.
 
Granny patted her hand and said, “Yes I did, now open it with love, then we can talk. “
 
She opened it gently, inside was a white linen handkerchief surrounded by lace, adorned with a small golden bow. Jennifer started to unfold the handkerchief.
 
Granny grabbed her hand. “Don’t read it now honey. The handkerchief is for you to carry today. Then after the wedding is over I want you both to sit down and read it. Now can I help with anything else? “
 
“No Granny, everything is done,” She replied. All she needed to do now was get her hair and makeup done then put on her wedding gown. She kissed Granny on the cheek. “See you around two p.m., OK! “
 
As she was putting the final touches on her gown, Jennifer heard a soft knock on the parsonage door. Granny walked over and hugged her and said, “Jennifer, turn around, let me see you. My dear, you’re beautiful!”

Jennifer showed Granny the small heart shaped locket mom just put around her neck. “It has Mom and Dad’s picture in it and in her right hand was the special handkerchief,” she said. Then she hugged Granny says, “I will cherish it forever, I love you! “

She was changing for the honeymoon trip and when done tucked the special handkerchief in her purse. She could not wait to read the note with Mathew. She smiled and whispered, “Mr. and Mrs. Mathew Rogers, ooh I like the sound of it,” then uttered again.

Jennifer snuggled up close to Mathew as the limousine drove to the airport. She kissed his cheek and whispered, “Darling I want to read you the note that came with the handkerchief. I promised Granny I would wait till we were alone to read it.”
 
“Well then--Mrs. Rogers, read it,” Mathew exclaimed.

She read the note out-loud; This special handkerchief was made with love for Jennifer to carry on her wedding day. Under the golden bow is one small stitch--cut it carefully. And see what the future may hold for Mr. and Mrs. Rogers. I love you, Granny Wilson.

Mathew watched Jennifer cautiously cut the thread then slowly opened the fabric. Their eyes widened in amazement as before them lay a small baby bonnet trimmed with lace adorned with a golden bow.

(An actual poem I wrote)
Time passes; she forgets the handkerchief with a golden bow.
That she stored away after reading its special poem.
She soon feels the baby kicking and is all aglow.
Then she remembers the handkerchief with the golden bow.

 
Jennifer thought for a moment, today was their six-month anniversary. She giggled to herself and then tickled Mathew’s ribs saying, “Bet you don‘t know what today is? If you don’t know you owe me a steak dinner.”

Mathew tickled her back chuckling, “Yes I do, we’ve been married for six wonderful months, and I’ll take you out for a steak dinner anyways to celebrate.” Mathew leaned over and kissed her cheek and uttered, “Mrs. Rogers, you look more gorgeous than the day I met you.”

Mathew looked at his watch and said, “I’d better hurry or will be late meeting my new client, I should only be gone two or three hours." He was about to walk out the door when he heard the phone ring.
 
Jennifer reached over, picked up the phone, and said, “Hello this is Jennifer Rogers can I help you?"

"Oh, hi Mom. Can you come over in about thirty minutes, I need to run an errand?"

"Ok, thanks Mom."
 
She got up to look for her purse, and did want to tell Mathew where she was going. She had a doctor’s appointment because she’d missed a period and suspected she might be pregnant. Jennifer wanted to make sure she was before she told Mathew.
 
Mathew spoke loud enough for her to hear, “Now, tell me what your mom is coming over for? Will you be gone long?”
 
“Oh, I need to go somewhere and she volunteered to take me, “she replied.“We won’t be gone long--I promise--I will be back before you get home,”
 
Mathew seemed content with her answer, kissed her, and said, “See you later hot-stuff!" He grinned and tried not to give away the real reason he was going out. Today was their six-month anniversary and he was going over to his brother’s to pick up the special photo album of their wedding day.

When Mathew got home, he saw Jennifer lying on the couch watching the noon news. He walked over to her then handed her a box tied with a blue ribbon.

"I picked this up today and thought it make a wonderful gift, suitable for the occasion.”
 
Jennifer enthusiastically tore the ribbon from the box and looked inside. “It’s beautiful, your brother did a terrific job on our wedding album.”

She laid the box on the coffee table, put her arms around his neck and kissed his ear then uttered, “I love you!”
 
Mathew then took her in his arms and kissed her softly. Then nibbled on Jennifer’s ear and whispered, “Darling, lets make love, the pictures can wait.”
 
She giggled and poked him in the ribs. “I swear all you ever think about Mathew--is--sex!" She then blushed and uttered,“But then again all you have to do is kiss me and I’m unable to resist your charms.”
 
She walked seductively towards the bedroom saying with a southern drawl, “Come to my boudoir. Take me in your arms--and make wild passionate love to me sweetheart," while fluttering her long eyelashes, like Scarlet, in “Gone with the Wind.”
 
Jennifer loved the way Mathew kissed her; the spark of love went from his lips to the center of her womanhood. She quivered when he ran his fingers lightly across the small of her back and uttered, “Oh—darling, make love to me now!”
 
They made love slow as if they were composing their own lover’s concerto. As they lay in each other’s arms Mathew tilted her face upward, kissed her lips softly, and said, “I want to have babies with you Jennifer. I can’t wait till you have a little replica of me nursing at your breast.”
 
Jennifer raised herself to one elbow, chuckled, and uttered, “Hey, how about a little duplicate of me? We need at least two children, a girl for me and a boy for you. I just know you’ll be a great father.” Then she rubbed her tummy saying, “I’m hungry and I have this silly craving for pizza and strawberries.” She studied Mathew’s face to see if he gave any hint about her little secret.
 
Mathew looked at Jennifer and smiled saying, “Didn’t you just eat an hour ago? Pizza-strawberries, no one has weird cravings like that unless they’re pregnant.”

Mathew hesitated, and then slowly opening his eyes in surprise, jumped in excitement and almost fell out of bed. He glanced over to her, she was grinning like the cat that just ate the canary.

He swallowed hard and shouted, “Oh--ooh my, Jennifer, honey--are you pregnant?”
 
Jennifer beamed and answered, “Yes darling, I found out this morning, you know when I ran that little errand with mom. I am so happy I could scream it from the rooftop! Oh Mathew, just think--our own little bundle of joy.”
 
 A baby is born with blue eyes and golden hair.
Everyone thought it was a girl, but it's a boy.
They search for a name with love and care
His dad and granddads name's are given to the boy.
 
A special name that sounds beautiful and yet is bold.
One spoken to all when he is dedicated to God.
He wears a christening gown trimmed in gold and blue.
Upon his head the special handkerchief with the golden bow.

Published 
Written by kandikiss51
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors