Find your next favourite story now
Login

13+
The Strange White Man 36

4
4 Comments 4
1.1k Views 1.1k
700 words 700 words
In Carpenter's mind he was racing backwards in time. The last 200 years passed by in the space of a breath and he saw himself as a small boy again. This was the English countryside in the late 1600rds and he was playing in the woods near his father's castle.

He heard a voice and saw the captain of the guards calling for him to return. He thought of hiding and making them come and find him, but he would be punished if he did. So he mounted his pony and headed to the main road. The captain was not too happy with him.

" Prince Karl, you must not wander away from the protection of the castle. The woods team with rouges and bandits."

"If any of them dare attack me I will dispatch them forthright," and brandished his wooden sword.

The Captain could not stay mad at him for long and smiled and he grabbed the pony's reigns so it would follow. 

"Come, you father wishes a word with you."

Once inside they throne room he approached his father who was sitting on the throne and was speaking with a number of advisers gathered at the bottom of the three stairs that led to platform. When his father looked up and saw his son enter the room he stopped speaking. 

"Leave us, I wish a word with my son," he commanded.

They all departed making the required bows before exiting the room leaving Carpenter alone. He saw the face of his father and it was not smiling.

"You failed to report for your lessons, the king intoned still not smiling.

"The lessons are tiresome, I wanted to hunt and be outside."

"You will inherit this throne someday and you must be equal to the task."

"I will be father, I promise."

The king stepped off his throne and gave his son a big smile before he took him in his arms and held him.

"I know you will be. Now as punishment for not attending your morning lessons you will spend the afternoon in the company of the wizard assisting him."

The wizard and healer was known as Felsar. He lived and worked in the bowels of the castle below the dungeons,the entrance was a secret to all except the king. He would meet the wizard in the stairs leading to the dungeons where a blindfold was placed across his eyes before he was led to the wizards lair.

In truth Carpenter remembered that he liked the wizard and learned many things from him, things he believe would be more useful when his time came to rule. Carpenter remembered that Felsar liked him as he had an inquiring mind and was not afraid to ask questions.

"So you missed your lessons again," the wizard said after he untied the blindfold. 

"How did you know?"

"I know a great many things."

"I am tired of learning how to dress properly and dance. I would rather be here with you as you teach me wondrous things".

The wizard dropped to his knees and gave him a hug and received one in return.

"You are a good student and will make a fine king. You are correct, there is more to learn than dancing and protocol."

 "Time to return," a voice echoed in his head and Carpenter was once again back in his private car. There were tears on his face.

" I saw my father, my home and my trusted teacher. I had forgotten all about them," he told the Monk."

"As I said. The memories are there and we just need to release them."

"Why did you bring me back?"

"It is almost sunrise. We will have another session tomorrow."

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile back in Sinking Wells: Stiles was becoming quite proficient at throwing a lasso and was soon attempting to do it from horseback, as the days past his skill increased. He learned how to use a pistol, a knife and a bullwhip. He also began to collect silver in all its forms and melt then down in the forge and pour the liquid into bullet molds.

This time he would be ready to confront the lady vampire and her lackey...

Published 
Written by The_Count
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments