19.9k views
4 watchers
22 likes
Primus Omnium
0 likes

I am watching the Masters golf tournament

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes

Absolutely breath-taking! Let me know how those players did today. I have the Nationals - Mets game on. Muakkkk kiss

Story Moderator
0 likes

I watched Blood Red Sky, a German Netflix movie that combined hijacking, terrorists, and vampires. It wasn't great, but it held my attention. Fair warning, it was very violent and gory. I have some very low standards these days.

I also watched a disturbing documentary on Netflix. Jimmy Savile, A British Horror Story. I have got to stop watching documentaries. I didn't know anything about him, and now I know too much.

I was pleased to see a preview of AMC's new adaptation of Anne Rices' Interview with the Vampire. Since her death, I wasn't sure if the project was going forward. It will debut in the fall. There is also a new adaption of Stephen King's novel, Firestarter coming out in theaters and on Peacock plus next month. I remember the last one starred Drew Barrymore when she was a child, so it's been a while.

Crazy old ape
0 likes

Quote by gillianleeza
I was pleased to see a preview of AMC's new adaptation of Anne Rices' Interview with the Vampire. Since her death, I wasn't sure if the project was going forward. It will debut in the fall.

I'd heard Christopher Rice (her son) was still involved after her death but hadn't heard a release date. Nice to hear things are ready. Need to see if I can find that preview.

A mighty warrior meets an unusual challenger. The Last Challenge of Jadek Prynn.

Kaiju-adjacent
0 likes

SO happy that Better Call Saul season 5 in on Netflix. He changed his name to Saul this season! I always wondered if the were referring to the Biblical story of Paul on the road to Damascus (but backwards). I'm thinking so now.

Teeth of the Sky - Myths and Monsters competition, first place

Fire and Ice - A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words competition, first place

Monster - Survivor competition, first place

Crazy old ape
0 likes

Quote by verbal

SO happy that Better Call Saul season 5 in on Netflix. He changed his name to Saul this season! I always wondered if the were referring to the Biblical story of Paul on the road to Damascus (but backwards). I'm thinking so now.

So he changed from Paul to Saul? Did he go blind?

A mighty warrior meets an unusual challenger. The Last Challenge of Jadek Prynn.

Kaiju-adjacent
0 likes

Quote by Mendalla

So he changed from Paul to Saul? Did he go blind?

Yeah, he goes from Paul to Saul as he throws away his moral code. I am guessing there will be a reference to blindness - they've never been shy about mentioning the Biblical origin of the name.

Such a good show, and such good performances.

Magnificent Bastard
0 likes

Quote by verbal

Yeah, he goes from Paul to Saul as he throws away his moral code. I am guessing there will be a reference to blindness - they've never been shy about mentioning the Biblical origin of the name.

Such a good show, and such good performances.

Yup. In addition, Killing Eve concluded. My daughter and I really enjoyed the series, more so than many reviewers. The finale was an emotional rollercoaster. We really grew to love the characters.

Started season two of Peaky Blinders but I’ve been to busy to continue. Tom Hardy joined the cast in season two. That in itself will draw me back, but PB is probably fifth on the list.

Apart from Saul’s final season beginning next week, both Russian Doll and The Flight Attendant begin their respective season two’s next week as well. Both had intriguing first seasons with good storytelling and even better acting. Kaley Cuoco was spectacular as actor and producer as the slutty drunken flight attendant. We’ve all known or dated a few of those. Right Verbs? 😉

But the best new series is a updated retro throwback, or something like that. Tokyo Vice. I screamed when I discovered it, like little Verbs screamed when he dropped the toilet seat on his wee wee, while being too inebriated to stand during urination, or as he calls it, Wednesday.

The cinematic genius that he is, Michael Mann (Miami Vice, Crime Story) is the energy behind this excellent deep-dive spin on Japanese culture and it’s organized crime underbelly. It’s not nearly as flashy as the other projects he’s developed. It’s understated in a way Japan views it’s humble and honourable traditions. It’s a slow burn of other world, with the viewer being dropped into a rich, language-barrier and culturally-nuanced land as if one is learning a new language. The setting is the tension.

It’s definitely not a show for everyone. Patience with an understanding nod to some early series hiccups, are necessary. But my favourite Japanese actor, Ken the head Samurai from, The Last Samurai, and the driver from Baby Driver, are the leading actors. Lots of Tokyo tidbits. Viewing episode five now.

Old man winter is MMAing that spring fella’s ass. Snowed again today. This weather is a disturbing force, said Yoda and OB 1. No riding bikes for you, said the soup Nazi. I disagree.

Iconoclastically incorrigible or just a silly dumb ass...
Kaiju-adjacent
0 likes

Quote by Ping

Yup. In addition, Killing Eve concluded. My daughter and I really enjoyed the series, more so than many reviewers. The finale was an emotional rollercoaster. We really grew to love the characters.

Started season two of Peaky Blinders but I’ve been to busy to continue. Tom Hardy joined the cast in season two. That in itself will draw me back, but PB is probably fifth on the list.

Apart from Saul’s final season beginning next week, both Russian Doll and The Flight Attendant begin their respective season two’s next week as well. Both had intriguing first seasons with good storytelling and even better acting. Kaley Cuoco was spectacular as actor and producer as the slutty drunken flight attendant. We’ve all known or dated a few of those. Right Verbs? 😉

But the best new series is a updated retro throwback, or something like that. Tokyo Vice. I screamed when I discovered it, like little Verbs screamed when he dropped the toilet seat on his wee wee, while being too inebriated to stand during urination, or as he calls it, Wednesday.

The cinematic genius that he is, Michael Mann (Miami Vice, Crime Story) is the energy behind this excellent deep-dive spin on Japanese culture and it’s organized crime underbelly. It’s not nearly as flashy as the other projects he’s developed. It’s understated in a way Japan views it’s humble and honourable traditions. It’s a slow burn of other world, with the viewer being dropped into a rich, language-barrier and culturally-nuanced land as if one is learning a new language. The setting is the tension.

It’s definitely not a show for everyone. Patience with an understanding nod to some early series hiccups, are necessary. But my favourite Japanese actor, Ken the head Samurai from, The Last Samurai, and the driver from Baby Driver, are the leading actors. Lots of Tokyo tidbits. Viewing episode five now.

Old man winter is MMAing that spring fella’s ass. Snowed again today. This weather is a disturbing force, said Yoda and OB 1. No riding bikes for you, said the soup Nazi. I disagree.

I just finished Killing Eve season 3 last night. It rocked, but I can't figure out how to watch season 4 (for free).

Blowing through season 5 of Saul too, though I will have to wait quite a bit for the last season.

Really looking forward to new seasons of Russian Doll (I didn't know it was supposed to HAVE a second season) and Flight Attendant and Stranger Things.

In the monomanical grifters genre, we loved The Dropout and Inventing Anna, and really like WeCrashed. The Thing About Pam is fun, though the voice-over guy annoys me (Talia assures me I am missing the irony because he's the Dateline voice). She also says Rene Zellweger is wearing a far suit! Is that rue? Probably.

Crazy old ape
0 likes

Quote by verbal
Russian Doll (I didn't know it was supposed to HAVE a second season)

It was announced a while ago, sometime last year I think.

It's one of two shows that will eventually get me back to Netflix, though I'm a bit skeptical of it. Series 1 ended rather well so they will really have to sell me on whatever this new adventure is (seems to involve time travel of some kind, maybe a time loop again but of a different sort). OTOH, Natasha is helluva good comic actress so alone will probably get me back. Weirdly, when I was looking her up after getting hooked on Russian Doll, I realized that I had seen one of her first roles: Woody Allen's half-arsed attempt at a musical, Everyone Says I Love You. She was 16 when she did that.

The other is Sandman, based on the Neil Gaiman comics from the eighties and nineties. Some of the best fantasy ever put on paper and Gaiman himself is involved (exec producer and doing some writing), which is usually a good sign with his properties.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes

Well, I'm watching the Nationals vs the Braves. I never give up.

Primus Omnium
0 likes

I'm watching Weekend at Bernie's over heah.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes

Must be an Italian broadcast. Never heard of it. I only get plain TV

Crazy old ape
0 likes

Nothing much right now. Just the odd Youtube video. Should get Netflix back so I can see season 2 of Russian Doll but they keep jacking up their prices so I'm inclined to wait until The Sandman drops (I'm hearing rumours of summer given that Neil Gaiman is in New York right now to work on the press kit), then get it for a month or two to watch those two.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes

I only watch PBS and nature shows and anything by BBC.

Story Moderator
0 likes

I've been watching too much tv, but it's about the only thing to do while my mom is resting and my father is settled and not agitated.

I finished watching Ozark. There was a lot thrown in for the last seven episodes, too much for me. My guesses for how it would end were all wrong. But I can't say I wasn't entertained for the show's duration.

Watched M Night Shyamalan's latest film Old on HBOMax. I like his movies, but this felt forced and just plain silly at times.

My mobile carrier offered a free year of Apple plus for some reason. I watched Greyhound, Tom Hamks' take on the battle for the Atlantic. It wasn't my favorite.

I also watched an adaption of Stephen King's novel Lisey Story on Apple plus. It had some issues, but it felt very much like the book, Probably because King wrote all the episodes for the teleplay. There have been a plethora of King adaptions lately, it seems. Sadly for me, some are on streaming services I don't have. There are way too many choices.

Crazy old ape
0 likes

Quote by gillianleeza
Probably because King wrote all the episodes for the teleplay.

I have mixed feelings about Stephen King as a screenwriter. I can't think of a great King movie that he wrote. OTOH, he at least knows the material well enough to know what can be changed and how.

Now, if you want a writer who knows his way around a screenplay as well as he does a book, Neil Gaiman is your man. Maybe because he started in comics, which are similar to a screenplay, Gaiman has been fairly successful at screenplays, both based on his own work and some projects he has done outside his own adaptations (e.g. the Beowulf movie that Robert Zemeckis directed).

Kaiju-adjacent
0 likes

I am REwatching True Detective, the HBO show from several years back. It is SO good. Dark dark stuff, with a hint of cosmic horror. What really makes it works is that perfect balance between McConauhey (sp?) and Woody Harrelson. McConauhey is OUT THERE, weird and intense, and without Harrelson grounding it with his regular guy humor, it really would be too much. As is, it’s perfect.

And Alexandra Daddario is celebrity crush-worthy. Hubba Hubba.

It holds up really well.

Story Moderator
0 likes

Still watching documentaries on Netflix and started watching the fourth season of Westworld. I hated the third season but I'll give this one a chance because I like the characters.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes

Quote by verbal
Alexandra Daddario

Is married. Happily. Very happily.

I just watched a Miss Marple on PBS. Lovely shows on PBS, and I have three channels to choose from. Broadchurch is repeating, and new season of The Fall. Neither are new, but terrific programs.

Crazy old ape
0 likes

Quote by elizabethblack

Never stopped celebrity crushes before. 😉

Who is playing Marple nowadays. I still remember the Joan Hickson ones but I assume these is a new series.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes

Just watched a movie, The Lovely Bones. Interesting; I had read the book. But while well acted, I ended up crying. Not cheerful.

Crazy old ape
0 likes

Discovered that The Nature of Things, a popular Canadian science/nature series (now 60 years old), had a nice four-parter a few seasons back where they did an episode themed around each season. Watched Summer last night and it kind of skipped around the country, showing how the summer season affects various ecosystems and animals. Will probably watch the rest. In Canada it's available via the CBC's Gem streaming service (it's the first four episodes of season 57). Not sure about elsewhere. There are some Nature of Things episodes on the CBC Docs Youtube channel but haven't checked to see if these ones are included.

And if James is watching, the summer episode has a great piece on polar bears. 😋

Chasing Dragons
0 likes

Just watched a four-parter called Deceit. It was about the investigation into the murder of Rachel Nickell in front of her two-year-old son on Wimbledon Common in 1992. The first three parts were about the efforts that the Metropolitan Police put in to find evidence and get a confession to convict their number one suspect, Colin Stagg, up to the point of him being charged and put into prison on remand. The fourth part revealed that he wasn't the killer after all. If the police hadn't been so fixated on Stagg, the real killer would have been caught before he was able to kill another young woman and her daughter. The show was so well done it was extremely harrowing.

Unfortunately, the Metropolitan Police seemed to have learned little as they are still in the news due to inept management and corruption at grass-roots level.

If anyone wishes to find the beginning of this epic saga, here it is:
https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/drama/the-nurses.aspx

However, since this story is now available in paperback, only the first few chapters remain. Buy at:

https://www.vbay.info/thenurses

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes

Watching old episode of Rebus, then Alan Cummings and Miriam Tour Scotland and now How Victorians Built England. All wonderful programs. I do love Scotland.

Kaiju-adjacent
0 likes

Quote by elizabethblack

As am I. She concurs with Ms. Daddario's celebrity crush-worthiness. smile

We just started The Old Man. Terrific acting by Bridges and Lithgow.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes

Quote by verbal
We just started The Old Man. Terrific acting by Bridges and Lithgow.

Sadly, I have no way of watching this. And two of my very favorite actors. And great reviews. Enjoy.

Kaiju-adjacent
0 likes

Quote by elizabethblack

Sadly, I have no way of watching this. And two of my very favorite actors. And great reviews. Enjoy.

Get Hulu! Then you can watch old Mary Tyler Moore shows like we do!

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes

Currently watching Dad's podcast on TV.

I'm following MasterChef Australia: Fans vs Favourites. Need to finish Moon Knight, Ms. Marvel, Obi-Wan Kenobi. Just finished Resident Evil series ..very different from movies. I keep getting sidetrack watching documentaries and true story movies ..oh well.

❤️️🇨🇦 Elusive Enigma 🇨🇦❤️️
0 likes

Open Your Eyes series on Netflix