22 likes
Chasing Dragons
0 likes

Quote by Welshdreamer42

I’m watching You on Netflix.

But, Helen, I'm not on Netflix! 😲😋

If anyone wishes to find the beginning of this epic saga, here it is:
https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/drama/the-nurses.aspx

However, since this story is now available in paperback, only the first few chapters remain. Buy at:

https://www.vbay.info/thenurses

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

Magnificent Bastard
0 likes

Killing Eve, again, from the beginning, but this time, with my daughter.

Iconoclastically incorrigible or just a silly dumb ass...
Magnificent Bastard
0 likes

Currently watching One Night With Adele. Great venue. Griffith Observatory in LA. Dusk to Dark. Gorgeous views of the city.

Succession and Yellowstone later tonight. Good Sunday TV.

Magnificent Bastard
0 likes

Oh, forgot to mention, just watched Roadrunner on Prime. A documentary about Anthony Bourdain. A highly recommend.

It didn’t reveal much that I didn’t already know. But it was good to see and hear him again. There are questions. How much did Asia A. and their, posthumously according to her, open relationship, push AB over the edge. I believe he was heartbroken when media widely revealed her coziness with another. Tony was a committed romantic in the truest sense. He was always a darkened soul, but he was happy with her until he joined her battle and took the #MeToo movement bit in his mouth. Feinstein is undeniably a wretched beast. But giving someone that much buy-in and then witnessing with the rest of the world her fling, open relationship or not, must have hurt really, really bad. No toxins in his system. He hurt. He hung. He died. I remember it like yesterday. Damn I miss him, just like I miss Freddie Mercury and Robin Williams.

Kaiju-adjacent
0 likes

Quote by Ping

Oh, forgot to mention, just watched Roadrunner on Prime. A documentary about Anthony Bourdain. A highly recommend.

It didn’t reveal much that I didn’t already know. But it was good to see and hear him again. There are questions. How much did Asia A. and their, posthumously according to her, open relationship, push AB over the edge. I believe he was heartbroken when media widely revealed her coziness with another. Tony was a committed romantic in the truest sense. He was always a darkened soul, but he was happy with her until he joined her battle and took the #MeToo movement bit in his mouth. Feinstein is undeniably a wretched beast. But giving someone that much buy-in and then witnessing with the rest of the world her fling, open relationship or not, must have hurt really, really bad. No toxins in his system. He hurt. He hung. He died. I remember it like yesterday. Damn I miss him, just like I miss Freddie Mercury and Robin Williams.

Ooh, ooh, I may watch this tonight! $3! I knew very little about him until this year. I knew of the suicide, and the vague outlines of his persona, but had seen none of the tv shows or read his book. Then I started watching Parts Unknown and was just blown away, particularly after he hits his stride mid season 2 and you realize his true subject is not travel, or food, but the people he meets. And himself, but I don’t mind a little ego in the mix.

I told my youngest daughter I was binging it, and she started laughing loudly and told me I was turning into my Dad (I guess he loved this show, but I didn’t know that). So, another reason to recommend it.

Looking forward to Roadrunner. That, and Ping exclaiming “Oh my God, World War Z is SUCH an atrocious movie!”

Teeth of the Sky - Myths and Monsters competition, first place

Fire and Ice - A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words competition, first place

Monster - Survivor competition, first place

Magnificent Bastard
0 likes

Quote by verbal

Quote by Ping

Ooh, ooh, I may watch this tonight! $3! I knew very little about him until this year. I knew of the suicide, and the vague outlines of his persona, but had seen none of the tv shows or read his book. Then I started watching Parts Unknown and was just blown away, particularly after he hits his stride mid season 2 and you realize his true subject is not travel, or food, but the people he meets. And himself, but I don’t mind a little ego in the mix.

I told my youngest daughter I was binging it, and she started laughing loudly and told me I was turning into my Dad (I guess he loved this show, but I didn’t know that). So, another reason to recommend it.

Looking forward to Roadrunner. That, and Ping exclaiming “Oh my God, World War Z is SUCH an atrocious movie!”

I do hope you enjoy this. Tony was as complicated and colourful as he was verbally graceful and poetic.

I swear, if you’ve pushed me off World War Z for the wrong reason, I will egg your house.

BTW, are you familiar with Four Corners? The point where four states meet? I’m tempted. Possibly next year. My panniers hold lots of eggs.

The show is worth the $3. However, you might want to binge more of No Reservations and Parts Unknown before you watch it. You’ll get to better understand him, his ways, and the incredible loss his friends now feel. Several episodes, he brings them along. I love Eric. They were besties. My heart breaks whenever I see him now because I know he’s in pain. Tony also took one of his buddies to Japan. That was a great episode.

Remember - monkey bars. After school. Bring your soft city-boy pampered fists. Ya lilly-livered Martian movie-loving retiree. 😁

Crazy old ape
0 likes

Been watching Ken Burns bio of Thomas Jefferson with Mrs. Mendalla. Hits all the big notes like the Declaration of Independence and his presidency, but also works hard at painting a picture of Jefferson as a person, especially the sometimes contradictory nature of the man. He was a patrician who was an ardent advocate for democracy and a slave owner who argued for emancipation. Sounds like he was also a doting grandpa in his twilight years. His relationship with John Adams is touched on quite a bit, too. Style-wise, it's Ken Burns. Not sure I can describe it better than that. If you've seen Civil War or Jazz or any of Burns other documentaries, you pretty much know what you're getting.

A mighty warrior meets an unusual challenger. The Last Challenge of Jadek Prynn.

Magnificent Bastard
0 likes

FINALLY. My kids asked if we can watch Stranger Things. Before, my son found the show ‘too stressful’. He still does. My daughter had zero interest. That’s now changed. Watched the first two episodes last night. Still pretty darn good. Will try to finish the first three seasons before season four gets released in 2022.

Administration
0 likes

I watched the first two episodes of Mayor Of Kingstown with Jeremy Renner. The whole thing moved fairly quickly and they've done a good job of establishing characters. I look forward to seeing where they take it.

I'm also re-watching Doctor Who.

Story Moderator
0 likes

I gave in and got Paramount Plus. I've watched the first two episodes of Mayor of Kingstown as well. I also happily have started season two of Evil. I loved the first season and was very annoyed when they put the second season on their streaming service. I'm also binging all the past seasons of Project Runway and Project Runway All-Stars on Roku. I may be a bit obsessed with those shows.

Kaiju-adjacent
0 likes

The 6 hour Beatles Get Back sessions doc is fascinating. It's like you're in the room. I love how they can all be sitting around cranky and argumentative and suddenly a song takes root and for a few fleeting seconds everything is the pure joy of creativity. I love watching John and George CONNECT and just get lost in the music. And then they all go back to being miserable again.

It's also cool how you see famous songs literally appear from nowhere, at the instant of creation. Gives me goosebumps.

Magnificent Bastard
0 likes

I’m undecided on The Beatles thing. It feels too much of a one-upmanship docudrama attempt. Maybe later… maybe not.

Just finished season three of Stranger Things with the kids. I asked some questions, then we watched some season four trailers. It seeeems okay?!? IDK. But I do give them top marks for the creative change and new location. I just don’t like that those relationships were torn apart by the move to California. I hope it works. TBD.

Just watched an autopsy show called, iCrocodile. Love that stuff. Buggars have a second, transparent eyelid that allows them to see under water. They can see in colour, underwater, and can fully open their pupils at night, giving them night vision as well. Add in their keen sense of smell, something like four hundred movement sensory capsules along their snout, and a four THOUSAND pound bite force, well, damn. Reminds me of my MIL.

Once wrote a story about a badly behaving husband who almost got taken by a croc or gator on a Floridian golf course. For the life of me, I can’t recall the name of that story. I think it had five parts. Oh well.

Floridian Swing. That was the dirty beastie.

Nothing new out there in TV land is really exciting me. Not motivated to watch anything. I enjoy Yellowstone but it’s become too much like a Mexican soap opera with unbelievable drama to match. Too much stuff is happening that would and could not happen without accountability, which on this show, there is next to none. I guess they’ve crossed that line for me. Season three’s finale jumped the shark. I’m not sure when or what specifically it was, that whole ending just happened. I don’t see JellyStone recovering for me, unless Yogi and BooBoo become regular cast members.

Crazy old ape
0 likes

Thanks for the warning, Ping. I've been eyeing it now that I have Prime. Good Omens and The Wheel of Time are ahead of it, though.

A mighty warrior meets an unusual challenger. The Last Challenge of Jadek Prynn.

👑Magic Cookie FAIRY 🍪
0 likes

I have come to the conclusion not to take tv or movie advice from anyone .

My sister said one show was great and it would be the best thing ever and it was a waste of time (American Horror Story )

And then a friend said a show was bad and I absolutely loved it (The Good Doctor)

Just finished season 7 of NCIS New Orleans on DVD and I loved it and sad to see it cancelled. Can't wait to see what is next for each cast member .

Magnificent Bastard
0 likes

Quote by Mendalla

Thanks for the warning, Ping. I've been eyeing it now that I have Prime. Good Omens and The Wheel of Time are ahead of it, though.

Not necessarily a warning. Just my observations. I can provide concrete examples of the show’s downhill progression of its writing. No one does westerns as good as Costner. He is fabulous. The cast is fabulous. The setting is fabulous. Even the long-term storyline is fabulous. Unfortunately, it’s the journey. It’s almost like the writers are competing with one another for the stupidest, most outlandish B-plot storyline. Plus, and this is silly, they are trying to get the characters to speak like the wonderful group of undesirables on Succession, arguably the best written show on TV right now. Yellowstone is not Succession, nor is it, or should it be, Coronation Street.

I agree with not discouraging people from their chosen form of entertainment, be it TV, music, and exotic dancing marsupials. How Verbs didn’t latch into The Americans is beyond me. It was an amazing series.

Magnificent Bastard
0 likes

Quote by Mendalla

Forgot to mention, I tried Good Omens. Love both male leads. And the concept. But I couldn’t even get through the first episode. It was hyped as a great show. I went in with maybe too high of expectations. I’ve not given up on it, but I just can’t now.

Another show I tried, High Garden or something or other. Can’t recall the name. I think it’s on Prime. The concept is great. The series was recently canceled after four seasons.

Essentially, what could have happened if Germany and Japan won WWII? North America was divided by the Rockies with Germany getting the east and Japan getting the west. The Rocky buffer was like the DMZ in Korea. I watched one episode. I’ll try another, maybe a third. It has got to get better for me to invest four seasons worth of my time. But I had heard absolutely nothing about this show. Kind of like Justified, which I eventually watched and it was incredible. That lead me to that Timmy Elephant western thingie which was also darn good.

Crazy old ape
0 likes

Quote by Ping
Forgot to mention, I tried Good Omens. Love both male leads. And the concept. But I couldn’t even get through the first episode. It was hyped as a great show. I went in with maybe too high of expectations. I’ve not given up on it, but I just can’t now.

Do you read either Neil Gaiman or Terry Pratchett, who wrote the novel together (and Gaiman was writer and showrunner on the series)? I adore Gaiman's work and have some familiarity with Pratchett, including the original Good Omens novel. Probably being a fan of one or both helps.

Magnificent Bastard
0 likes

Squid Game.

My kids wore me down. After a troubling first episode and a dreadful second, and some suspect over acting, the show got much better, especially after changing from English dubbing to English subtitles. By the sixth episode, it’s become a credible emotional struggle. The show gets the characters and us viewers to ask some big questions that are not easy to answer.

What would you do to survive?

What would you do to win?

Could you live with yourself if successful?

Three more episodes to go…

Magnificent Bastard
0 likes

To add to the above, apparently Squid Game is the most watched Netflix show ever. Ugh. If you watch it, and get to the VIP episode, you will cringe. Absolutely horrible. They should not speak. Retain the allusion of mystery. Them and their dialogue is just plain stupid. But I’m invested, so I’ll finish the damn last two episodes.

Magnificent Bastard
0 likes

Oh, and if you are watching Succession… wow. Last night’s episode rocked the little dickens right out of us. Is he? Isn’t he? Does she? Doesn’t she? Will she? Won’t she? I hope not to all, but it would wrap up that first character’s arc very well. Ironic justice.

And never, ever EVER send a dick pic to your pop during a meeting. LOL.

Administration
0 likes

Quote by Ping
Squid Game.

I cried twice. I watched it because people kept telling me to so I didn't expect to get emotionally involved.

I finished season 3 of Lost In Space last night. I really like this series. There are a few people that annoy me to death, but there are enough positives that I can deal with the nonsense.

Has anyone seen Fleabag? I was thinking of watching it.

Kaiju-adjacent
0 likes

Quote by Molly

Quote by Ping
Squid Game.

I cried twice. I watched it because people kept telling me to so I didn't expect to get emotionally involved.

I finished season 3 of Lost In Space last night. I really like this series. There are a few people that annoy me to death, but there are enough positives that I can deal with the nonsense.

I just finished season 2 of Lost in Space. It's stupid fun, kind of in the feel of the original. I'll try season 3.

Fleabag is frikkin brilliant. Very funny, occasionally biting.

I keep trying to get Talia to watch Succession. She is luke-warm on watching it. I will give up and try it on my own soon.

Newest fave is The Shrink Next Door. Fascinating and disturbing. Ferrell is good and Rudd is other-worldly good. Strong recommend.

Oh, and yet one more note on the Beatles Get Back Project. One of the many reasons I am so taken by it is the friendship at its center: John and Paul. You can see the irritation and the fierce devotion, often in the same moment.

Magnificent Bastard
0 likes

Quote by Molly

Quote by Ping
Squid Game.

Fleabag is quirky awesomeness. I was saddened it was only two seasons, but two was just enough. The lead is/was the lead writer for season one of Killing Eve, and if I recall correctly, she had a little to do with that Bond thing.

Two cries, eh? Were they from the same episode? I know three potential tear jerkers. And all were from the same episode. But that particular episode had lots of gut-churning. Marbles, walls, and dementia. I’ll say no more.

Administration
0 likes

Quote by verbal

I keep trying to get Talia to watch Succession. She is luke-warm on watching it. I will give up and try it on my own soon.

I'll give Fleabag a shot. I've been on the fence about Succession too so let me know what you think.

Quote by Ping
Marbles

Stupid marbles!

Magnificent Bastard
0 likes

Quote by Molly

Quote by verbal

I'll give Fleabag a shot. I've been on the fence about Succession too so let me know what you think.

Quote by Ping
Marbles

Stupid marbles!

I sent this to Verbs. I’ll share it with you…

Succession is a quirky, dialogue-rich visual vomitorium of capitalism at its absolute worst. The cast and acting is spectacular. The visuals, also spectacular.  The multiple plots move fast and in ways we aren’t accustomed. The viewer soon realizes that every single character is a horrible human being. Billionaires with big egos to match, all in a race to behave the baddest. 

So many standouts but that Culkin brother has some serious acting chops. Ferris Bueller’s buddy is cringe-worthy great. And Mr. Cox is simply amazing. Redhead Shiv is gorgeous. I could go on. If the media speculation is correct, a major character might be leaving the show in a dramatic and justifiably ironic manner. I hope not, but it would befit the arc of that character.

Anyway, give it a go. I initially avoided it, thinking it was a Billions wannabe (I adore Maggie Siff and Damian Lewis), but these are very different shows. There is a reason Succession has succeeded GoT as the Emmy winner for best drama llama not from Bahama. 

Kaiju-adjacent
0 likes

Okay, okay. The Great Talia-Verbal Compromise of 2021 is that I am going to watch one episode of Succession after she goes to sleep. If I think she'll like it I have to stop watching. If I think she won't I am free to add it to my mix of Anthony Bourdain and old Larry Sanders shows.

Man, marriage is WORK!

Magnificent Bastard
0 likes

Quote by verbal

Okay, okay. The Great Talia-Verbal Compromise of 2021 is that I am going to watch one episode of Succession after she goes to sleep. If I think she'll like it I have to stop watching. If I think she won't I am free to add it to my mix of Anthony Bourdain and old Larry Sanders shows.

Man, marriage is WORK!

Ah yes. But not watching, The Americans, is also like marriage. It will eventually fill you with spite and terminal regret. 😳

🤣🤣🤣

Story Moderator
0 likes

I just started watching Succession. I watched the Squid Game and thought parts of it were surprisingly good. The mismatched dubbing and close captioning were annoying. I started another South Korean series on Netflix. Hellbound, "Unearthly beings deliver bloody condemnations, sending individuals to hell and giving rise to a religious group founded on the idea of divine justice." It's holding my attention so far.

Kaiju-adjacent
1 like

I just started Succession too. So far, so good. I enjoyed it. It might be a little too mean spirited for Talia (despite her deep love of horror). Me, I have no soul, I can watch mean people til the cows come home.

Magnificent Bastard
0 likes

Well done, you two. You’ll soon hear the theme song in your sleep. You’ll grow to love and hate each character. The writers and actors are to be thanked for that. The opening flashback/old home movies sequence is a testament to unapologetic excess, like Don Jr. and his trophy hunting. No morals or shame.

The kids really enjoyed Squid Game. It was their gateway to, yup, Parasite. We are 35 minutes in and they love it. I’ve forewarned them things change fast and for the worse. They’re all in.

Looking back, I’ve introduced my kids to Amelie (French), Veronica (Spanish), SQ and Parasite (Korean). I hope this early intro to foreign films opened their mind to what awaits them in this big beautiful world, if they choose to explore and engage it.

Verbs sucks.