Find your next favourite story now
Login

What movie did you see in the theater or on DVD?

last reply
214 replies
13.8k views
4 watchers
9 likes
Story Moderator
0 likes

Watched The Last Duel, with Matt Damon and Adam Driver. It was too long and Matt's hairdo/mullet looked silly. I had to force myself to watch the whole thing, I could not get invested in the story.

Magnificent Bastard
0 likes

Introduced the boy to John Wick. I’m surprised how much this series of movies has grown on me.

Also watched Robot Ron or something stupid like that. Bubble Bots. The trappings of social media. Likes. Friends. Peer pressure. Addiction. So very current. Felt too much like a rip off of Big Hero Six, but it was entertaining. As we say in our home, it’s not a true Disney or Disney-wannabe movie unless something or someone dies.

Iconoclastically incorrigible or just a silly dumb ass...
Kaiju-adjacent
0 likes

Quote by Ping

Introduced the boy to John Wick. I’m surprised how much this series of movies has grown on me.

Also watched Robot Ron or something stupid like that. Bubble Bots. The trappings of social media. Likes. Friends. Peer pressure. Addiction. So very current. Felt too much like a rip off of Big Hero Six, but it was entertaining. As we say in our home, it’s not a true Disney or Disney-wannabe movie unless something or someone dies.

Everyone in my writing group loves those John Wick moviesI tried and couldn’t get into it. Plus, Keanu may be a really nice guy, but he isn’t a very good actor.

Teeth of the Sky - Myths and Monsters competition, first place

Fire and Ice - A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words competition, first place

Monster - Survivor competition, first place

Crazy old ape
0 likes

Quote by verbal
Plus, Keanu may be a really nice guy, but he isn’t a very good actor.

Preach! I have been a Keanu skeptic since at least Bram Stoker's Dracula.

A mighty warrior meets an unusual challenger. The Last Challenge of Jadek Prynn.

Magnificent Bastard
0 likes

The Mitchell’s and the Machines.

I think that’s what it’s called. I didn’t finish it but I will. I knew nothing about it. So far, very pleasantly surprised. Even more surprised when I found out it was nominated for an Oscar this year.

Iconoclastically incorrigible or just a silly dumb ass...
Kaiju-adjacent
0 likes

Quote by Ceebees

Watched Parallel Mothers. A beautiful film by Pedro Almodovar staring Penelope Cruz. Deals with friendship, motherhood and romance against a backdrop of the history of the Spanish Civil War.

Loved this movie. Almodovar can do no wrong.

So I'm not a big Vin Deisel fan, but he made a great sci-fi movie called Pitch Black, and a goofy but fun sequel called Chronicles of Riddick. There was a third movie made that for some reason slipped under my radar, and I found a couple nights ago on HBO. Simply called Riddick. Good sci-fi, if not quite as good as the first movie. David Twohy wrote and directed all of them - he's from the X-Files writing room.

That X Files writing room is responsible for a lot of good TV and movies. The Sopranos writing room too.

Kaiju-adjacent
0 likes

I just finished Fury, an old school WWII movie about tank battles. REALLY good. Brad Pitt is really good in it. So is Shia LaBeouf.

Administration
0 likes

Quote by gillianleeza

I watched M Night Shyamalan's latest movie, Old. It was terrible. So terrible I had to watch it to the end to see if it could get worse, but it did. It was silly.

I didn't mind it, but I also like really weird things. lol

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness. I really liked it, but others thought it was too out there.

Crazy old ape
0 likes

Quote by Molly
I really liked it, but others thought it was too out there.

Welp, that one goes on my list. "Out there" is a thumbs-up for me. Also, it's a Raimi film. But I should probably see the first Dr. Strange, eh. And, well, more of the MCU than I have.

A mighty warrior meets an unusual challenger. The Last Challenge of Jadek Prynn.

Administration
0 likes

Quote by Mendalla

Welp, that one goes on my list. "Out there" is a thumbs-up for me. Also, it's a Raimi film. But I should probably see the first Dr. Strange, eh. And, well, more of the MCU than I have.

At the very least, the first Dr. Strange and Spider-Man: No Way Home. Watching Wandavision would be great too but then you get into the, why is this happening in Wandavision so you'd have to watch Infinity War and End Game. Yeah, it's a lot.

All that being said, Sam Raimi is great.

Crazy old ape
0 likes

Quote by Molly

At the very least, the first Dr. Strange and Spider-Man: No Way Home. Watching Wandavision would be great too but then you get into the, why is this happening in Wandavision so you'd have to watch Infinity War and End Game. Yeah, it's a lot.

All that being said, Sam Raimi is great.

Which is why I have kind of opted out on the MCU after watching (and generally enjoying) some of the early ones. Last one I saw was Captain Marvel but due to the setting being pre-Iron Man et al., it actually held up well on its own.

I did enjoy Raimi's Spiderman but my favorite Raimi superhero movie is still Darkman. Admittedly, it's "street level" vigilante superhero rather than Avengers-level but I kind of prefer those anyhow. Some of the more grounded Batman stories like Year One are faves, too.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes

Sissy and I had a Jurassic Park/World movie marathon to prepare for the new movie, Jurassic World Dominion, which we watched as a family yesterday. I have started on the Resident Evil movie series. Last movie I watched at the cinema was, Top Gun: Maverick. You need the surround sound to feel the full effect. I recently watched the trailer for Black Panther: Wakanda Forever, that's a must for me.

Chasing Dragons
0 likes

I watched Hugo in 3D. The effects are stunning. The film is based on actual people and events in Paris.

It draws inspiration from the rediscovery of Georges Mélies, a famous turn of twentieth-century film pioneer.

There is a little artistic licence, however. The film recreates a famous train crash which occurred at Montparnasse in 1895. Georges Mélies wasn't rediscovered until thirty years later.

If anyone wishes to find the beginning of this epic saga, here it is:
https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/drama/the-nurses.aspx

However, since this story is now available in paperback, only the first few chapters remain. Buy at:

https://www.vbay.info/thenurses

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

Kaiju-adjacent
1 like

Quote by AnnaMayZing

I watched Hugo in 3D. The effects are stunning. The film is based on actual people and events in Paris.

It draws inspiration from the rediscovery of Georges Mélies, a famous turn of twentieth-century film pioneer.

There is a little artistic licence, however. The film recreates a famous train crash which occurred at Montparnasse in 1895. Georges Mélies wasn't rediscovered until thirty years later.

I really liked this movie too. I was sad it didn't get more attention.

We saw Nope this weekend. I was disappointed, my least favorite of the three Peele-directed movies. Talia liked it even less than I.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes

Yesterday's afternoon movie was Rampage. It was Dad's choice so no complaints from me heart father and daughter time ..after being grumpy ..funny old man

❤️️🇨🇦 Elusive Enigma 🇨🇦❤️️
0 likes

Paradise Highway

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes

I finished my Underworld marathon. Watched Underworld: Awakening and Underworld: Blood Wars last night.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes

Watched Ultraviolet this arvo ok

Chasing Dragons
0 likes

The Champion of Auschwitz. A true story about Polish boxing champion Tadeusz "Teddy" Pietrzyowski and his efforts to survive the horrors of the nazi concentration camp at Auschwitz-Birkenau.

However, since this story is now available in paperback, only the first few chapters remain. Buy at:

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes

Purple Hearts

Story Moderator
0 likes

My brother visited and insisted we see a movie. He picked it, Bullet Train, starring Brad Pitt. The violence reminded me of a Tarantino film. It had some amusing parts but dragged on for far too long.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes

Yesterday - Prey

Today - Lightyear

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes

Lightyear lol delete it off Disney

Story Moderator
0 likes

I watched Orphan: First Kill on Paramount Plus. I thought the original movie Orphan was very creepy and well done. They got the same actress to play Esther again, which helped it be a better movie than the script alone would have allowed. It's still a creepy tale, but I gravitate towards horror, supernatural and weird movies.

Chasing Dragons
0 likes

I watched Top Gun: Maverick. I have to say, that it stands up as a sequel to Top Gun, even using the same theme music. However, I do struggle with certain aspects of it as a Hollywood movie. You see, when Top Gun originally appeared, I was an engineer on fast jets, namely the McDonald Douglas F4 Phantom II. I still find it difficult not to laugh at some of the things the producers expect us to believe are possible. Still, an entertaining and well-shot movie, nonetheless.

One thing I did think better than the original was the love interest. Far more plausible. 🤷‍♂️

Crazy old ape
1 like

Quote by AnnaMayZing
, I was an engineer on fast jets, namely the McDonald Douglas F4 Phantom II

Okay, you get serious cool points for this. I love the F4.😊

Chasing Dragons
0 likes

Quote by Mendalla

Okay, you get serious cool points for this. I love the F4.😊

Me too! 😎 You notice I used the overall designation. In my case, it was the Phantom FGR2 (F4-M)