Find your next favourite story now
Login

13+
A World Without Me Chapter 2

"Questions are the only thing on Avery's lips."

1
1 Comment 1
1.2k Views 1.2k
2.5k words 2.5k words
Chapter 2: The Girl With No Voice

Belljno laughed so hard that he had to clutch his ribs. "Humans! Oh, they can be a comical bunch!" he mocked.

I could feel my rage build up like acid from my stomach, just waiting to vomit up in one big violent blow. Yet, it never came to that. Tabby shook his head and told me just to ignore him. I must have stood there dumbfounded for a long time.

"What do you mean by one hundred and six?" I finally said.

Tabby told me to sit, which I did by taking the arm chair as far away from Belljno as possible.
"As you know I am a Shape-Shifter, and Belljno is an Immortal," Tabby said, quite casual too.

"Immortal?!"

"Uh-hu! You Humans are such an easily surprised race aren't you?" Belljno mocked, again.

"Well excuse me for living in my world this whole time. I must have missed the memo on this freakin' world!" I snapped.

Belljno just laughed again. It really annoyed me, I'm not talking little kid annoying or a repeating buzzing sound annoying I'm talking pure rage was about to spill out of me annoying.

Tabby saw my hatred towards him and thought that it would be a good time to clam everyone down. "Uh, Belljno! Don't you have a class?!"

Belljno stopped laughing and looked at his watch. "Oh, damn, you're right!" He snapped to his feet and fled from the living room. I heard some jiggling and rustling before finally the door shut. Tabby leaned back on the couch and let out a long breath. I too felt myself slightly calmer.

"Sorry about him, he...he...has Issues with Humans," Tabby said, sitting up and resting his elbows on his knees. "As do we all here."

"Why is that anyway? Why are there no Humans here?" I asked.

Tabby shrugged his shoulders. "Some say that once these worlds were joined together, others say that it is just a random occurrence."

"That doesn't answer my question." I crossed my legs.

I spotted Tabby's eyes linger for a second on my legs - bad day to be wearing a skirt. I coughed and he looked elsewhere.

"Uh, right! Well you see, um," Tabby's voice seemed to crack. "Ah. No one really knows for sure. Humans just don't exist in this world. Such as people from this world don't exist in yours..."

I took a few moments to digest what I had just heard. I wanted to quickly get off this topic and ask another question. "When are you going to take me home?"

At this question, Tabby got nervous. "Oh, that, um, well, you see-"

Before Tabby could start answer my question the front door opened. I sighed mental thinking that it was Belljno ready to mock my race once again.

"Duck!" Tabby snapped.

"What do you mean-"

Famous last words of mine. Something hard hit the back of my head and I was thrown forward a little. I stood up and turned to face whatever it was that hit me. Then a second blast hit my gut. I flew across the room and doubled over coughing.

I heard Tabby yell, I felt his shadow cloak me.

"Get out of the way Tabby! She is a-"

"Human I know." Tabby got to my level and pulled me up to my feet. I was still wheezing and coughing.

Squinting out my eyes, I blurry saw a man, with some sort of bird in formal wear which didn't suit his hair-do. It was dark purple and gave me some serious Chucky Finster flashbacks. If it wasn't for my lack of breath, I'd most likely be running my mouth calling him all the names under the sun. The man seemed taken aback. Shocked that Tabby knew I was Human. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see sparks dancing on his hand.

"Look! I know what I am doing is not of the norm...nor-" Tabby started.

"Not of the norm! Oh, like I didn't notice that!" the man snapped before sighing. "Move Tabby. 

You know what'll happen if she is caught here."

Tabby gulped, "I know..."

The man narrowed his eyebrows. Confused he stuttered a little. "Y-You...You know! Were you thrown at a wall as a child?! Or have you just gone insane!"

"I know what I am doing, Samuel!" Tabby barked - which now that I think about must have been pretty funny, if the circumstances were...'lighter'.

The man, now identified as Samuel, sighed. He rubbed the space between his eyes before looking at me. He had the same hate filled eyes as Belljno. "Do you know how much danger you have put Tabby in?"

Danger? I thought raising an eyebrow. "What?"

Samuel smirked. The bird that was on his shoulder flew across the room and perched itself on the windowsill. I only was able to get a small look at it but it really didn't seem like your average black bird.

"Tabby is going to die."

His blunt statement snatched me away from my thoughts. "W-what?" I said, breaking into a sweat.

"Tabby is going to die now because of you."

I didn't like that. Not that most people would. I could hardly believe what I was hearing. I understand Humans are hated here but people are killed for just bringing on here!

"No...no...that's not gonna happen because you're gonna take me home right...right?" Tabby looked away from me. "Tabby?"

"I can't. There is too much chaos right now near the portals. If I go anywhere near them I'll surely be caught."

"What do you mean portals?!"

"It's how you travel through each world," Samuel bit in. "Only beings from this world can see them, Human eyes can only see so far."

I took a step back. I couldn't go home. That news hit hard. So hard that my stomach flipped. I had to sit down. I sank into the armchair and put my head in my hands. People would be out looking for me, wondering where I was. Surely.

"I..I am so sorry, Avery," Tabby whispered.

"I said enough with the apologies," I said softly. "I don't want to think about that right now...all I want is just a few more answers...okay?"

"Avery..."

Tabby sighed and I rubbed my shoulders. For some reason, in the first time for a long time, I wanted to cry. My home, it was taken away from me. Yet, at the same time I didn't hate Tabby for it. I understood his good intentions. But still, that did stop the lump in my throat from forming. Tabby sat down on the couch. Samuel soon joined.

"If Tabby really thinks you are worth all this trouble then I will go against my better judgment and help you both," Samuel said, to his annoyance.

"What are you then?" I asked Samuel.

"Me? Oh I am a Warlock," he smirked. "My specialty is electricity."

"Specialty?"

"Oh, I take it you don't know." At least he wasn't mocking me for being uneducated in this world. "Some beings, can be classed together. For example you have your Animal Beings, such Tabby and..." he stopped. "I'll tell you about that in a second. You also have your Magic Beings, like me. However some Magic Beings are better at one thing than another. Some may be better at healing while other fire. You understand?"

I nodded. "What about Belljno what does he fall under?"

"Immortals are...strange...even to this world no one knows how they became immortal. There are so very few Immortals, and even those that are live in seclusion, Belljno is one of the few that live within society. Immortals are a being all of their own," Samuel informed me. "If you see another beings then ask I shall be more than happy to just explain where they fall under...we'll call them Classes for now, okay?"

Despite his patronizing nature towards me, I enjoyed his small kindness.

"Back to this other Animal Being...or Class."

Samuel smiled and held out his arm. The bird from before flew to it. Samuel told me to take a good look at her. After a moment I stopped something unique about the bird. Blue eyes. Not those black pebbles you normally see on birds.

"She is a Shape-Shifter?"

Samuel pushed his lips together as if thinking of a right answer. "A bit, you see she can only transform when I give her the command. For some reason she doesn't know how on her own."
Samuel whispered something in a language I couldn't understand. The bird landed on the floor and its claws started to mold into feet. Wings became arms and hands, her beck became a mouth, the feathers on her head turned into hair and the feathers on her body changed into a dress.

The girl looked around confused before falling on her knees and sniffling. She looked young, around seventeen.

"Unfortunately she is somewhat simple minded. She cannot speak and has trouble walking when she transforms again."

The girl looked to Samuel and held out her arms. Like a daughter wishing to be held by her father.
"No," Samuel shook his head. "You can do it on your own. You've done it before."

When Samuel didn't help her up her face scrunched up and she started to weep. Now this wasn't a normal cry you'd hear from someone who looked her age but a child like cry, as if she had woken up from a nightwear.

I couldn't take it, I really couldn't. Call it the mother inside me, I just wouldn't sit there while she cried out for someone just to help her.

I got out my seat and when Samuel didn't disapprove I held out my arms. She smiled and tried to open her mouth to talk, but gargle came out. She grabbed my arms and tried pulling herself up. Eventually, after a few more falls, she was up an about. She walk around the living room while I got back to my questions.

"So tell me more about these portals."

"Well you know the basics, however these portals can also be made or summons-"

"That's how I got you here," Tabby spoke.

"Yes, uh well, back to what I was saying. It is very hard to do so and Tabby was just lucky that time. Most of the time you need to find a portal and go through it, which can take a number of days. Yet summoning a portal without consent is illegal. Again Tabby is very lucky in this case."

A little too lucky if you ask me.

I sighed and sank back into the chair. "Okay, that's about enough questions from me," I said, rubbing my hand across my face.

"Would you like something to drink?"

I rubbed my eyes. "Please, uh, something...relaxing."

God knows what I was talking about. I guess I was tired when I said that. But, Tabby smiled and went off to boil a kettle.

"What is the girl's name? May I ask?" I said, looking at her as she jumped onto the couch and back off it.

"Raven, seemed to fit her," Samuel said.

When her name was mentioned she jumped back on the couch. Samuel rubbed her head and she smiled warmly. After getting some praise she took back to the floor and started to yawn. Samuel rolled his eyes.

"I'm just going to set her down, I'll be right back."

Samuel took the girl's hand and led her out the living room. She turned towards me and waved her hand. Smiling, I waved back.

Poor girl, I thought, stretching my stiff legs. Not long after Samuel left Tabby came back with a tray of cups, filled with stemming hot liquid. He took one and passed it to me. I took a big whiff of it before asking what was in it.

"It's just some green tea," Tabby said, shrugging.

I parted my lips and let the warm cozy liquid run down my throat. The warming sensation ran throughout my body. I felt more relaxed after just one sip. "Wow, this is...lovely."

"You think so? Thank you." Tabby drank his.

For a while only slipping could be heard. Eventualy Samuel came back with a grim look on his face.

"I was just on the phone to my office. They need me in, would you mind." He pointed to the door behind him.

"Yeah sure," Tabby checked his watch. "Ringl should be home soon so will you be back here for dinner or?"

"No, I'll be back to pick her up around...uh...ten...ten thirty. Is that okay?" Samuel asked.
Tabby waved his hand. "Sure, no problem."

Samuel mouthed a thank you and went off not long after.

"Who is Ringl?"

And there was me thinking I was out of question!

"Oh, he is my younger brother. He's staying with me," Tabby said smiling.

I wondered what Ringl looked like. He must be a cat just like Tabby, I thought. I looked at the time and saw that school, if I remember correctly, was finishing soon. So Ringl must be young.
After I had finished my tea I handed Tabby my mug. He seemed happy that I drank every last drop. To be honest, I was glad too. I felt so much more relaxed and easy. It was as if the tea just washed away the lump in my throat. I was really grateful for it.

Tabby went to check on Raven, when everything seemed good he showed me to my room. "Wait? I'm staying here?"

"It is only right, I did bring you here."

"So, how many people live here?"

"Originally, just me and Belljno, but Ringl had a falling out with our father so he bunks with Belljno, he has the couch and TV in his room," Tabby told me. "I never liked that, having electronics in your room, it's just a distraction from what you should be doing."

"I agree." I really did.

Tabby smirked and I caught him once again looking at my legs. I shifted my skirt down. Tabby shook his head and went red.

"I should...uh...get you some nightwear too. I'm sure we...have some," he stuttered.

Tabby took me down a small hallway and pointed to a room. "That's the guest room and right across is my room. Ringl and Belljno sleep just there." He pointed to the room at the end.
Tabby opened the door and I was greeted by a plain white and brown room. It looked so much better than my shabby old apartment. I must have grinned because said, "Glad you like the place!"

"Oh, I, um," I sighed. "I do, thank you, Tabby."

"You welcome, Avery."

Then he gave me that sun kissed smile. And it warmed me, just like the tea.

Published 
Written by Niraco
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments