Find your next favourite story now
Login

13+
Curse (part 6)

"Willow"

7
6 Comments 6
1.3k Views 1.3k
1.2k words 1.2k words
It was dark and cold under the looming canopy of trees. The moon shown through the leaves, casting pale patches of light, obscuring the eerie shadows. Everything was still for this was the meeting place. A frigid breeze sliced through the trees filling the empty space with the rushing sound of leaves. The wind faded leaving a deathly silence and a gathering of figures appearing.

Solemn and silent they stood, examining the rest of the group. Some fidgeted uncontrollably, trying to keep their high energy under control. It seemed to take all they had to keep from bursting. The others stood like statues, hardly moving at all. It made Willow uneasy to be standing so close to them, but they didn't seem to mind her presence. Of course, it did help that she wasn't really there.

She saw the scout that attacked the town. His sandy brown hair was messy and unkempt, unlike before he was cursed. The cursed boy tilted his head up and saw her. He stepped out of eyesight. Willow unwillingly began to move into the trees. She weaved around them until she stood alone and far away from the others.

There was a small pond that reflected her image back at her. A boy's face stared back at her with the same deep blue eyes that she had. His dark brown hair just as messy as the others. Willow was only witnessing what her brother was doing, she had no control over the situation. There was a cough behind her and she turned around.

The scout was there, standing very still. His eyes stared pointedly ahead and remained expressionless. The scout said in a low voice, "I have seen your sister, Ian. She defended her mother from me... I don't know if I was to continue to attack the mother or attack her." Ian thought a moment. Willow's heart pounded in her chest waiting for his reply.

"You were right to leave. The man would have sliced you in two if you continued to attack. It is only natural for Willow to not yet fully understand and defend that wretched woman." Ian coldly replied to the scout. He eyed the little boy as he walked around him, stalking him with the grace of a predator.

"Will he be angry?" The scout asked with the slightest quiver in his voice. Ian slyly glanced at him.

"You found two gifted, how could he be angry? My sister seems to be worried for my welfare... I'll be fine once she's where she belongs. Plus he already took revenge on that man for standing in our way." The scout nodded and walked away. Once Ian was sure the boy was gone completely, he whispered, "come find me, Willow."

She woke up with a jolt. He knew she was watching, he wanted her to know he did that on purpose. They were special and they were connected. Together they formed an unstoppable force, but how far does their power go when they're apart.

Willow felt the strong connection with her twin and felt puzzled. Was it only just a twin thing, or was it so much more? She crawled out of bed, wondering briefly, how she got there. She tiptoed to the next room.

Embers softly glowed from the dying fire. On the sofa, William slept away the stress of yesterday. It was still late at night when even the guard dogs slept soundly. Willow felt she wasn't the only one up, she knew she wasn't alone.

Morning came. She said nothing about her gift, hoping it was only a dream her fears had formed. She wanted the incident of yesterday to be merely a coincidence. The news of the kingdom put out all her doubt like snuffing out a flame. Messengers from towns scattered throughout the kingdom flocked to the king to bear news of cursed entering town and wreaking havoc. The townspeople began fearing the worse and the rumors started.

Everyday she would listen to the rumors and news of the attacks and relay the information to William as he forged more swords. With the cursed acting strange, knights and guards made a direct beeline to his shop for new and improved weaponry. No one blame them, everyone wanted to feel safe.

Willow silently observed then started running errands for William and his mother, fetching supplies and equipment. She was careful when crossing the bridge, never turning her back on it for a second. Even so, she hadn't changed her mind, she still wanted to be blessed alongside her brother. She knew she would turn eventually because she had power, but the last thing she needed was everyone chasing her out of town.

Her mother was finally released from medical care and showed great disdain to her and William. Willow's mother kept silent though, but they knew she wouldn't keep her peace forever. They were working on borrowed time and wondered if or when word about them being 'gifted' would leak out. There was not a single doubt that the townspeople would not be civil. Rumors about cursed were one thing, rumors about cursed sensing potential cursed were completely another.

Willow's lungs heaved in ragged breaths, her head dizzy and light. She couldn't make sense of her gift and tried her best to use it to its maximum potential. Her body felt the strain of the over use. Too much for her body to handle, and yet she still tried.

A shadow fell across Willow, as she waited for William to return with more metal and other supplies. She turned around and found herself staring into two deep, pure black eyes. She felt as if they were the eyes of the great void itself, and couldn't look away. He was a large dark man, with short black hair. He certainly looked strong enough to wield a broadsword with one hand. He smiled at her warmly.

"Are you the seer I'm searching for?" His voice was deep and thunderous. Willow wordlessly stared at him, considering answering or not.

The man continued without missing a beat, "I heard she is quite strong for only being human, so far. She is able to connect with the cursed and see through their eyes." He eyed her with suspicion. "Quite a powerful child, this girl is."

Willow scanned outside for William. He was nowhere in sight. She invited the man inside. She quickly swung the door shut behind them and turned back to the newcomer. Her heart pounded in her chest wildly.

"How do you know of my power?" She asked in fright, thinking of the consequences if someone had heard about it.

"I have my ways," he told her nonchalantly while inspecting some of the swords. "I need to ask a favor of you. I need you to connect to a certain cursed girl for whom I have been searching for. She has surrounded herself in a powerful magic that secludes her presence from me."

"Who is she? And who are you?" William curtly asked, impatient and wary of the man. Willow jumped, she hadn't seen or hear him enter the shop. William paid no attention to her and kept his eyes squarely on the man. The man turned around and bowed in an apologetic way.

"I'm sorry, how rude of me. However, I was strictly instructed not to reveal her identity, for her protection. My name is Jaden."

Published 
Written by Anonymous
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments