Find your next favourite story now
Login

13+
D.T - The Frigid Prince: Chapter 4

1
1 Comment 1
939 Views 939
3.7k words 3.7k words
The Frigid Prince: Chapter 4

"You there stop," Enaguille called out to the knight. No response he kept on going with his whistling. "Borris of Jaer."

Borris stopped after that and turned around slowly to face Enaguille and the others. After sizing them up, he grinned and said, "Heh, I have not used that name in some time."

"So you're really him?"

Borris smirked, "Aye I'm him. I certainly had quite the reputation if someone young as you has heard of me."

"But I don't understand you're supposed to be dead?"

Borris laughed as if Enaguille just told him the most hilarious joke he ever heard. When he settled down, he said, "I am dead, I'm just waiting for it to be permanent."

"I don't understand, if you're still alive then why didn't you return to Aladorn? Why didn't you return to the king?"

Boris scoffed and said, "Fuck the king. Me and so many others give him our lives for his invasion plan and he gets beat by some snot nosed little shit?"

"Shut your mouth!" Enaguille commanded.

"Woah did I strike a nerve there?" Borris asked sardonically. "You're old enough to be a knight but seem too young to be such a loyalist; so who are you anyways kid?"

"I Sir am Prince Enaguille Tarrock. Youngest son of the greatest king Aladorn has seen before."

"So that’s what it is then eh?" He scoffed, "Abarons’ not worthy of the title to be king; he's an insult to all of Aladorn."

Without warning Enaguille attacked, thrusting his ice lance at Borris' stomach. Borris twisted sideways, narrowly avoiding the attack, and pulled his sword; swiftly swinging it down at Enaguille in the same position. Enaguille was forced to retreat, but the blade still grazed him across his cheek.

Borris followed up by spinning around on his toes and slashing at Enaguille again. Enaguille kept backing up as Borris twirled and slashed his sword at Enaguille giving him no time to counter. When his back hit against the tree, Borris went in for the kill: thrusting his sword end at Enaguilles head.

Enaguille tiled half his body to one side narrowly avoiding the thrust as the sword stabbed through the tree. Borris then slammed his head into Enaguilles face; knocking him on his back. He pulled his sword from the tree and Enaguille thrust out his free hand.

Borris was somehow sensing the danger quickly shuffled to the side, dodging the incoming surge of ice magic. Though his attack missed, Enaguille bought enough time to get back on his feet and face Borris.

Borris' face had a certain look of mixed terror and rage on his face now. Aggravated he swung his sword at Enaguille aiming to lop his head off. Enaguille blocked with his ice lance and as the two clashed together, they rang a high pitch. The grey sword then turned a shade lighter and began to crack; before Borris could pull it back, the sword exploded into a dozen shards.

Enaguille didn't hesitate to thrust his lance into Borris' stomach. He then leaned in closer and said through gritted teeth, "You're no knight of Aladorn."

Borris grabbed the lance and pulled it in further forcing Enaguille to step closer. They were now face to face and he said, "And you're no son of the king. You’re a freak, just like them." He then jabbed his hand into Enaguille's throat and pushed him back. He let go his lance and started coughing; struggling to breath normally.

Borris pulled the lance out of his stomach, his hands now a dark purple, and fled. No one there chased him.

Now that the fight was over his friends approached him, "You all right man?" Yadriel asked concerned

"I'm fine," Enaguille said retrieving his lance.

"You sure?" Curtis asked. "That was a pretty intense battle."

"It was," he sighed, "my reflexes are crap. I need to get faster or find a way to compensate with some sort of armor."

They moved on after that and all but Methais and Enaguille began talking casually amongst themselves. "So you're a prince huh?" Methais asked trying to spark up a conversation with Enaguille.

"Yea, one of six others," Enaguille said.

"And you're from Aladorn?"

"Yea so what?

"Nothing, nothing it’s just I thought you were like a noble from Dorgal or something. I mean your magic is so powerful and Aladorn, well they are now known for Magisters there. I'm just surprised is all. They must really miss you back home?"

"Just the opposite I'm sure," he said affirmed. "I was always an outcast because of my magic and always hated having it. But since I have embraced it, and accepted it as part of me it’s become so much stronger."

Methais smiled and said, "Well my friend maybe one day you will become the king."

When they found the next stairs leading up they were all too tired to climb them and made camp within sight of them. And after settling down and eating Yadriel asked, "So Mister Prince, what would you wish for?"

Enaguille just scoffed and shook his head, a small grin breaking on his lips.

"Aw C'mon man for real, what would you wish for if you reach the top first?"

Enaguille thought about the answer for a while before saying, "Honestly I don't know. I'm climbing the tower to get the wish for my father to make him proud of me; never really thought about what else it could do for me. It's sad really, my whole life all I been trying to do is make him proud. And maybe show up my brothers along the way."

They all smiled a little after that last comment but were silent for a time. Then Enaguille spoke up asking, "What would you guys do if you got the wish?"

None of them answered and he said, "Nope you guys have to open up, I can't do all the wishing here. You all must have something you really want that is impossible to get otherwise?"

"Alright I'd wish for a castle filled with gold and diamonds," Yadriel said. "That way the guys would respect me and the ladies would have no excuse to try and resist my irresistible charms."

Methais, Curtis and Igor laughed. "Yea right you a ladies man?" Methais asked sarcastically. "You have not gotten laid in months fool."

"Alright, alright laugh it up laugh it up, tee hee hee," Yadriel said annoyed. "But guess what Methais, it's your turn to share."

After they calmed down Methais said, "That's easy I would wish for ultimate power. I could do whatever I wanted then. How about you Igor what would you wish for... aside from a full head of hair?"

They all chuckled at Methais' joke. "I would probably wish for eternal youth. Ultimate power would be too much for me to handle and Immortality would drive me insane. But I think a few extra lifetimes of being young would satisfy me, and allow me to do all the things I wanted before dying."

Everyone turned to Curtis now whose face grew a little somber and he looked down at his feet. In a sad and quiet tone he said, "I'd wish for my parents back to life..."

They were all quiet after that until Enaguille said, "Alight let's get some rest now. Methais you take first watch; and this time don't fuck it up. And after about five hours wake me up and I'll take over from there."

Enaguille later awoke to all the others talking amongst themselves casually. When he moaned a little and started to get up Methais said mockingly, "His highness awakens at last."

Enaguille shook off his wariness and said, "I told you to wake me later to change out."

"You did," Methais confirmed. "But I decided you needed the rest more than I so I stayed up and kept watch while everyone slept. And when the others woke before you I got some sleep myself. I woke up not long before you; you must have been really exhausted to sleep so long."

"No I... normally I sleep for excess periods of time, but usually I get in about a full day and night's worth of sleep so I can keep functioning longer. I remember when I was younger I could sleep for days without knowing it, I'd be awake for a long time after that though."

"Well that’s good to know I guess, you should eat though before we do anything," Methais said.

Enaguille plucked a couple of the dark fruits and devoured them ravenously. When he finished Methais approached him again and said, "Well it's good you have your appetite that’s a sign of healthiness. But we have a problem."

"What is it this time?"

"While we were sleeping Yadriel went searching around for the next set of stairs leading up. He found them but there is a large encampment of soldiers just before them. A good number of men were on watch out duty while the rest slept. They were far enough from the stairs that we could probably sneak around them to climb but I wanted to wait until you woke up to ask your opinion on it."

"I will have to look for myself and see the situation before I can make an affirmed decision. But the easiest route would be for me to just freeze them all and we simply continue on."

Enaguille followed Yadriel over to the camp and Methais asked, "You can do that?"

"If I get the drop on them yea. But if they see me coming they will start shooting arrow or flinging spears at me before I get half of them I'm sure."

Over at the encampment, Enaguille saw the battalion of soldiers. Yadriel was not kidding they were quite intimidating in their large numbers and more. All the men were rugged, hard looking and wore full plate steel; the craftsmanship and style looked very familiar to Enaguille.

By now the men had all woken up and were sitting around eating the dark fruits. The more Enaguille stared at them the more familiar they all seemed. Only when he spotted their flag bearer did he understand why. The dark blue flag had three weapons of a hammer, double-sided axe, and a broadsword crossing over an enclosed fist pumping into the air: the Tarrock family banner.

Enaguille stepped out from between the trees they were all hiding behind; walking hastily over to the soldiers. Reluctantly his friends followed him trying to stop him. He shrugged them off and said, "That’s my family banner! That means at least one of my family is here."

When the guards saw them approaching they shouted, "Who goes there?!"

Enaguille stopped as they raised their spears and a few notched their arrows to their bows and aimed at him. "Who's in charge here?" Enaguille shouted out to them all.

"We won't ask again, who goes there?" One of the guards shouted in a more hostile tone than before.

Enaguille took a few steps forward; his friends didn't follow. "You are addressing Prince Enaguille Tarrock, seventh son to your king. Now I demand you show me who's in charge here."

The soldiers began talking amongst themselves and the ones holding weapons towards Enaguille relaxed. Before long the soldiers started parting out of the way and from the crowd of them emerged Abaron and Rathel. Enaguille was perplexed to see not just his brother but his father there too.

"Father... what are you doing here?"

Abaron scoffed and said, "I could ask the same thing."

"Didn't you get my letter?"

"I did but, how did you get past the wall?"

Enaguille smirked and said, "I used my magic."

Abaron shook his head and said, "You shouldn't be here. You're not ready to take on these challenges that lie ahead."

"Gods you just can't have any faith in me father. You know I have changed so much these last few months. I'm not the same timid boy I was before; I'm a man now. And you say I'm not ready for what lies ahead? Well take another look around you, because you're the one who brought an entire battalion of men to climb this tower.

"You may look at me now and feel ashamed or whatever it is you have always felt of me. But I swear the next time we meet you will look upon me with pride!"

Enaguille then turned and walked away heading for the stairs. All his friends but Methais followed right behind him.

"Can I ask you about a former knight of yours, Sir?" Methais asked.

"That’s the king you're talking to, show some respect," Rathel said.

"I'm sorry; we don't have kings back in Dorgal. I don't know the customary for talking to one."

"It's fine boy," Abaron said, "get on with your question."

"I wanted to ask you about Borris of Jaer."

"A very fine knight, his death was a great loss to our kingdom; one of the best fighters we had."

"That’s what I wanted to ask you about: we met a man whom Enaguille believed was Borris and only responded when called by his name 'Borris of Jaer'. He said something about him being dead already and fought with Enaguille. He was defeated and retreated."

"Must have been an imposter, Borris is dead; I quite assure you."

"He was a savage looking man with numerous scars on his face and a bear design embossed over his breastplate." Methais said; describing the man they met.

Abaron glared at him now and his tone turned hostile. "You best catch on up with your friends boy."

Methais took the hint and said, "He was here in the tower when we last saw him," before running along to catch up with the others.

As Abaron watched the young man swiftly jog away towards the stairs Rathel asked, "What's wrong father?"

"His description fit Borris well but his tale sounds like an absolute delusion. Anyone could be impersonating the dead knight; even so, I cannot shake this horrible feeling about this news. Something strange is going on here in this tower: something dark."

"Your father is quite the intimidating man," Curtis said while they climbed the stairs.

"You're telling me," Enaguille said. "One day though I'll change the way he looks at me."

Onto the next floor they found the ground was a solid rock and filled with numerous steaming springs. "Woah nice some hot springs!" Yadriel said excited. "Yo man I bet there will be killer babes around here."

"We don't have time to take a bath," Enaguille said irritated.

"He's right," Methais said coming up to them from behind. "We should keep moving and get some distance between us and Enaguilles father; and all his men."

Yadriel sighed but gave no further word about it.

"This floor seems straight forward, Yadriel think you can just teleport us ahead a good distance?" Methais asked.

"Yea I can, there’s nothing hindering my visuals, but where to?"

"As far as you can straight from the stairs behind us. I get the feeling that the next stairs are just right ahead, but pretty far off."

"Alright boss, everyone grab on tightly."

Enaguille watched as everyone took a tight hold of Yadriel (either around his arms or waist) and looked at him expectantly. "Yadriel needs us to have a strong grip on him, or him on us, before he can safely teleport us anywhere." Methais explained.

Still perplexed by the idea Enaguille hesitated to go through with it but eventually put his arm around Yadriel, "Alright, I'm ready I guess?"

An instant later Enaguille felt his whole body distort and stretch out; coming apart and then being put back together. When his senses returned enough he could see he was standing within a short walking distance of some ascending stairs; and that he still had an arm wrapped around Yadriel and was gripping onto him tightly.

He let go and tried to take a step back but fell to his hands and knees, the world around him spinning. Yadriel knelt down and patted his back gently. "It's alright bro give it a minute. You will come to your senses soon just wait til everything stops spinning before you stand up again."

Enaguille took in a few steady and deep breaths before slowly getting to his feet. He didn't try walking again. "Is it like that every time?" he asked weary.

"Nah first time is the worst, I was a wreck when I first ported; didn't know what it was or how to control it. But I got the hang of it eventually and after that it was nothing but fun."

After Enaguille got back to his full senses they moved on.

The distinct howling of wolves pierced through the darkened areas of that floor sending a chill up everyone’s spine; except Enaguille. While the others walked forward carefully, keeping their eyes on the darkness, Enaguille steadily walked beside it listening in on the wolves howling.

Spotting the cave in the wall above Curtis shouted, "Guy's up there! That’s our way out." They looked up to it and started to run to it until Enaguille shouted, "Hold up everyone!"

They stopped and looked at him but were antsy to keep going. "These aren't wolves howling in there, it's all some kind of trick." He said.

"You sure? They sound a hell of a lot like wolves to me." Curtis said frightfully.

"Have you ever actually heard wolves before?" Enaguille retorted.

"No."

"Well I have, hunted a pack of them as well. I assure you these are not wolves." The group still looked frightened so Enaguille sighed and said, "Fine I'm going to go in there and find what’s making that noise." He turned form them, ignoring their protests, and walked boldly into the darkness.

He couldn't see a thing in there and could only hear the false wolves howling. He tried shouting out to them to insult them but his voice didn't come out, though he could feel the sensation of shouting in his throat. This floor just becomes stranger and stranger he thought.

Onward he followed the howling wolves, the closer to the source he got the louder they were. Still though they kept the same synchronization and pattern of howling; like a master dancer following the same steps over and over never missing the beat. He readied his ice lance as the howls were now next to him.

With nothing else to do he charged forward with his lance held in front of him. He kept going until suddenly emerging from the dark and into the light. Just ahead of him were the stairs leading on up. He looked back into the darkness and chuckled a little; then went back to retrieve his friends.

He found them at the base of the wall with the cavern in it. Curtis was already climbing up it and halfway there when he returned. "Hey cowards I found the way up to the next floor," he shouted to them.

"Yo man I wasn't worried for you at all," Yadriel said as he walked up to them.

"Yeah right you were practically jumping up this wall when he went in there," Curtis called down mockingly.

"Oh yeah? Well look who's climbing it!"

"Both of you enough," Enaguille said growing annoyed with them. "I found the way up so let's move okay?"

Curtis sighed and called down, "Alright let me just see what’s up here okay? I'm already over halfway there now."

Enaguille said nothing and Curtis continued up. When he reached the top to peek his head over inside he screamed and lost his grip and fell. He landed hard on his back and was breathing fast in a panic.

"What's up there?!" Enaguille asked.

"Shit there was fucking skull right at the top there, and this huge puddle of blood." Curtis said still panicking.

"Make sure he's alright," Enaguille said as he started climbing the wall.

He made it up to the cavern in no time and raised his head over inside. It was dark and hard to see in very far but Enaguille could indeed see the head of a human corpse and the puddle of maroon blood. The rancid smell of death filled his nostrils, he climbed down a little ways but then dropped the rest; landing on his feet with a loud thud.

"Is he alright?" Enaguille asked looking over to Curtis.

"I'll be fine, "Curtis said, "just caught by surprise is all."

"Well there are definitely dead people up there, I don't know what killed them but I don't wanna try and find out. Now let's move on from this floor already."

"You mean like go into that darkness with the wolves?" Igor asked frightful.

"Again there are no wolves in there; it's all just a trick. And yes through there is the only way to the stairs. Just follow the howling of the fake 'wolves' keep going until you emerge in the light. I'll be on the other side waiting for you guys. Don't take too long."

Enaguille then went into the darkness leaving the others with only the choice to turn back now, or follow him in. After some contemplation they followed him in.

On the other side Yadriel was the first to make it out and said, "Oh sweet merciful god you do not disappoint! I pray to you and my prayers have been answered, I'm out of that dark nightmare."

Methais emerged not long after that; later followed by Curtis. They waited for Igor now but began to grow anxious when he didn't emerge for a while. "You think he's alright?" Curtis asked to no one in particular.

Seconds’ later Igor's bloodcurdling scream answered for them.

Published 
Written by Starfallfantasy
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments