Find your next favourite story now
Login

G
Ocean Realm

"The Prologue of a novella on whale life in the ocean."

0
0 Comments 0
1.1k Views 1.1k
893 words 893 words
Prologue - The Blue Realm

“Humans – like us - are mammals descended from the same ancestors. Unlike us - they have come to believe that intelligence sets them apart and gives them dominion. This false belief in their importance is enhanced by their most corrosive trait - greed. Man chose the path of violence to dominate the land. Whales chose the path of peace in the ocean. Now man’s greed has brought him to a precipice. They have raped the land of resources and now begin to pillage the ocean. Your majesty . . . I fear unless whales unite - we are man’s next victim and the great ocean realm will be laid waste.”

“Archibald . . . you are a trusted advisor and what you say may be true. You have served my family for more treks than I can recall. I am nearing the end my friend - my successor will bear this burden.”

“Will you not trek this season your majesty?”

“No . . . I am staying in the inner court . . . to rest.” The king’s words were laboured.

“I’ll take my leave sire.”

“Good bye my friend.”

As the chancellor left the royal presence he could feel the great Blue whale’s strength ebbing. He feared for the future of the ocean realm without the wisdom and majesty of the great one. The handover of leadership would not be without trouble and intrigue.

There are two heirs to the realm of the deep. Prince Reginald the son - ambitious and without compassion. He controls the northern legions – a formidable force feared throughout the realm. His hatred of the land barbarians is well known. He has petitioned his father several times to begin action, by disrupting communication cables, hampering oil rigs and shipping. Many in the realm believe that now is the time for action and Reginald is the whale to lead them. The other heir is Princess Victoria the daughter. She is seen by some as an innocent - yet shows great strength. This beautiful Blue whale commands no legions, but she has the ear of all female whales in the realm. Although females are non-combatants, they can be a strong force if organised to a single purpose. The chancellor would soon need to choose where his allegiance would fall.

With a heavy heart the chancellor left the inner court with his aides to join his pod of Sperm whales on their trek south. He had decided to gauge the feelings of the other whales on the royal succession during the trek. Hopefully he could achieve a consensus of opinion from a wide range of his fellow ocean dwellers. During the trek and throughout the feeding and breeding season he would meet with many representatives from the different houses of whales. He knew that his ascent would tip the balance in favour of the next ruler and it weighed heavily on his mind. Archibald is not only the chancellor to the royal court, but the realm’s official philosopher and deepest thinker.

The pod had trekked for two days feeding frequently on the abundant north ocean krill. The light was fading when one of the Minke whale rear guards spotted a large platoon of Orca whales approaching. A phalanx of Royal Narwhal whale Lancers was dispatched to intercept the group. After proper identification - the Orca platoon commanding officer was allowed to draw nearer. He requested an audience with the chancellor. He alone was escorted to the centre of the pod and presented.

“My lord . . . Prince Reginald-the-Great seeks a private audience.”

Archibald had a quite snigger at the use of the term great and puzzled. This young whale prince thinks highly of himself.

“Captain . . . he is not yet great, only time will bestow that title.”

“Yes your grace . . . will you accompany us to Prince Reginald’s court? We will ensure your safety.”

“Where is the prince’s court located captain?”

“Currently on the Grand Banks your grace . . . hunting and training.”

“Who accompanies the prince?”

“His personal Beluga whale White Life Guards and two phalanxes of Royal Narwhal Lancers your grace.”

Archibald knew the captain to be an honourable whale from the Royal Household Orca Black Regiment. He agreed to leave his pod accompanied by two trusted personal Orca aides and a small contingent of Royal Narwhal Lancers. Archibald’s Sperm whale pod did not halt and continued on to the mid ocean feeding waters. The times were treacherous – precaution was needed. The new group formed into a pod. The Orca platoon took up flanking and point positions with a small detachment of Pilot whales to provide navigation and a pair of Humpback whales to herald the chancellor’s movement with song. They entered a strong east/west current to speed their progress. Minkes provided the rear guard as usual.

Following at a discreet distance were the usual hangers on; Porpoises, Dolphins, Right and Bowhead whales. All were seeking patronage from the royal pod. Before they arrived at the Grand Banks a following Bowhead was ship-struck. An Orca lieutenant and his aide were dispatched to investigate the whale’s distress call, which never go unanswered. Before they could arrive a school of Great White Sharks had already begun to dismember the stricken Bowhead. When they reported back the pod resumed. It was a reminder of how dangerous movement was in these busy shipping lanes.
Published 
Written by max
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors