Find your next favourite story now
Login

G
Dave's Place Chapter 1 - Rick

5
7 Comments 7
1.6k Views 1.6k
564 words 564 words
Rick and I hit it off from the beginning. I first took notice when he was involved in a discussion about cars. Well, not really cars, but a car. A town car.

It was an average Thursday crowd with the regulars coming in from work. Dave's Place is near several professional buildings, and there are plenty of computer geeks and engineers that need a drink.

"I got her a town car!" he emphasized. He was a new guy sitting with a couple people I knew. Janet was there along with Andy.

Janet called me over. "Dave, listen this story." Janet is a little pushy, but she's cute enough so I'm ok with it. "Rick, Dave. Dave, Rick. Tell him, Rick."

I extended my hand over the bar and followed up the introduction. "Nice to meet you. Glad you could come in." Rick is a short big guy with a prematurely graying buzz cut. I think it's that he has no use for going to a barber. That would be time better spent on music or poker. Rick is an accomplished guitar player, and I stopped letting him take my gambling money long ago.

"A man of fine taste," he said looking around the bar. "I'm sure you'll agree with me about town cars."

"I'm eager to hear it. It's always fun when Janet gets riled up." I gave her a wink, and she replied by sticking out her tongue.

Rick proceeded, "Back in college, I had been seeing a girl for a while, but she lived out of town."

Andy interrupted, "The part where Rick has a girl ought to be the punchline."

Rick didn't bat an eye. Clearly he had heard this before. "Andy, I didn't see you walking in with anyone on your arm either." He continued, "We hadn't seen each other during the semester and she flew in for the weekend. I sent a town car to get her from the airport."

Janet was having none of it. "Let me get this straight. You haven't seen your girlfriend for months. She goes through all the pain of the travelling, and you don't pick her up from the airport? Did she make you mad? Was there an emergency?"

Rick was intense and serious, "I have a policy." Andy rolled his eyes, not impressed.

I figured I was playing the straight man and asked, "What's your policy?"

"I never take or pick up anyone up from the airport."

"It's not a terrible policy," I replied. "Who likes going to the airport?"

"AND I got her a town car."

"Is there anyone you make an exception for?"

"Nope."

"Not even your mom?"

"My mom would get her own town car." I chuckled at his response. This was something to which he had given quite a lot of thought.

I said, "You have to admire a man with convictions."

"Well, that's why you have a girl and he doesn't," Janet replied sardonically.

Andy chimed in at this point, "Janet, you're failing to see the upside."

She looked at Andy quizzically. He smirked, "Rick, by the way, I'm going to see my mom this weekend." Rick saw what was coming but couldn't stop it. "Can you take me to the airport Friday?"

Rick hung his head, "I'll get you a town car." Janet just laughed and laughed. I offered them another round which they happily accepted.

Published 
Written by Nox
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments