Find your next favourite story now
Login

13+
Ponder - Chapter 1 Stairway

0
0 Comments 0
1.2k Views 1.2k
342 words 342 words
Today was finally the day, that faithful point in Paul’s life.

Of course he had no idea it was upon him, he woke up feeling like it was any other Saturday morning. His clock showed 6:30am meaning it was time for Paul’s daily morning jog; he took a shower, and got dressed as per usual.

It was until he wanted to go downstairs where he found something quite odd, looking down his stairway it lead into a seemingly never ending darkness. Paul was quite confused and very intimidated standing quietly staring into the darkness below.

It was only after a few minutes that Paul slowly began to descend the first step, then another, and another. Walking down, walls surrounded Paul on his left and right, the walls were only an arms width apart; Paul began to feel a little claustrophobic.

Mentally counting in his head Paul was 50 steps down, turning around and looking back up the staircase showed a small speck of light representing his starting point. At this point Paul was now walking down the stairs fairly casually, when suddenly Paul missed a step and began to fall forward, with no railing to hang onto Paul stretched out his arms using the walls to stable himself. Regaining his balance Paul was terrified, the surrounding darkness, the claustrophobia settling in, and now the fear of tumbling down these neverending stairs. Scenarios in Paul’s mind arose of one little miss step leading to his demise.

Paul turned around again to see absolutely nothing, Paul was in complete darkness. Paul’s mind began to spin, he wasn’t sure what was down or what was up and he had forgotten how many steps he was down; he began to panic. Paul wanted out, he disregarded being careful and started to almost run what he thought was down. The only thing rushing through Paul’s head was to get out. Paul slipped just a little bit, and that was all that was needed for him to plummet down, down into the unknown.
Published 
Written by Phyznix
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors