Find your next favourite story now
Login

G
Sitting with Tracey

1
2 Comments 2
1.3k Views 1.3k
341 words 341 words
It felt good to sit at the long table with all the other girls. I’d never felt accepted by other kids at school before. At my last school, I was one of a handful of kids that weren’t Mormon, and they didn’t play with non-Mormons, but they weren’t mean to me.

At the next table there was a boy named Tracey eating alone. He was tall with dark brown hair and blue eyes. He had a speech impediment that made him sound like he was from Boston, but I didn’t know what people from Boston sounded like when I was a fifth grader. I just thought he sounded foreign, thus cool.

“Babytalker . . . say something . . . Ohhh too dumb to talk.” One of the girls from my table was picking on him. He made himself look smaller. I giggled. There was a roar of laughter raising from the girls all around me.

“Goo-Goo-Ga-Ga . . . Do you un stan me now? . . . I we taud did . . . DUH.” Loud laughter followed this taunt. I felt guilty for giggling after the first insult. I wanted to fit in, but I didn’t. I was silent and uncomfortable, this had gone too far. I lowered my head and made myself smaller too.

“Where did you get your clothes?” another girl joined the fun “. . . from the garbage can behind the Goodwill.” More laughter snarled around me. I liked the way he dressed, with a plaid shirt.

I picked up my tray and joined Tracey. He looked up at me.

There was a long silence.

“Oh, he’s got a girlfriend.” The laughter was louder than ever, but I didn’t hear another word from their table. We weathered the storm together.

I got picked on for having a boyfriend so much that I quit hanging out with Tracey. I never had friends outside of the pariah class again, but I don’t regret sitting with Tracey.

Twenty years after graduation, the same girls act the same way they did back then. I had better friends.

Published 
Written by fallingdove
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments