Find your next favourite story now
Login

13+
Tomorrow: Chapter Ten

3
3 Comments 3
1.0k Views 1.0k
660 words 660 words
I pause at my locker to switch out my books and binders during my appointed lunch time. I'm just about to head to the library to finish up today's homework for Calculus, College Writing, and ASL when Adam strolls up to his locker next to mine. He doesn't seem to ever change clothes. Today is another black on black on black with black leather boots. Other girls might call him "hot" or "sexy", but I just see another guy... another Stepmonster or Chase or Kyle in the making. Another abuse machine.

"Hey, Philena. How are you doing?" He asks, an easy smile settling on his face.

I shrug and force a smile to my lips, "Okay, I suppose. Pain meds help." I start backing away toward the library, "I was just going to study. See ya."

I wave like a dork to make everything a bit more believable, turning around and walking quickly, but not too quickly towards the library.

"Wait!"

I stifle a sigh. Has he ever heard the phrase 'curiosity killed the cat'?

He catches up to me near the lunch room. My mouth is practically drooling as I smell all the fresh, hot food our lovely kitchen staff cook up, but no money, no food.

"You're not having lunch? You should eat something if you're on strong pain meds. You'll get sick."

I press my lips together and will my stomach not to growl. I've not had anything since the few chips and cold egg noodles I managed to sneak late last night, and I am starving, but he doesn't need to know that. I shrug again, "I'm not hungry, and I need to study or I'll never pass Calculus."

His expression is that of someone who's biting the inside of his cheek--thinking. Hard. I don't let on that I'll never pass Calculus anyway--math is definitely not my strong suit.

"You need to eat. How 'bout if I help you? Does after school work for you? I've been in Calculus and AP Calculus in previous years. I'm in Statistics now. I've always been told I explain it in ways easier to understand. What do you say?"

I chew on my lip. His curiosity makes me a tad wary of him, but any way to stay away from home longer will work for me. I pull out my cellphone--only allowed one because it's a communication device--and shoot a text Mother's way.

WAS OFFERED MATH TUTORING AFTER SCHOOL. IS THAT O K?


I don't wait long for a reply. When it comes I half-smile. It probably looks more like a grimace.

O K BUT U MUST B HOME B4 DINNER 2 DO CHORES


I can only imagine what she means by "chores", but I send out a 'thank you' anyway and answer Adam.

"Tutoring sounds good." Lunch sounds good too, but I've no money.

He grins like that's the best thing he's ever heard. He steers me towards the cafeteria and I pretend to check my pockets for money. When I come up empty, I shrug at his concern and turn back to the library.

"Guess you don't have to waste your time tutoring me anyway. No money, no food." I smile, pretending it's okay, willing my stomach not to growl. Pretending I'm not starving. Pretending I'm not, practically, skin and bones.

"No worries. I was gonna pay for yours' anyway. C'mon." He hands me five dollars. Five whole dollars. I could completely escape Stepmonster with half this.

Only I couldn't. I'd never escape. I will never escape him. That's a hopeless dream. One I should have forgotten half a decade ago, but can't seem to shake.

"Philena? You comin'?"

Adam's voice shakes me out of my thoughts and into the real world. I nod and smile though I don't believe this one reaches my eyes. Even though he smiles back and makes small talk asking about the best stuff to get here, I don't think he believes it either. 

Published 
Written by Colors_of_the_Wind
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments