Find your next favourite story now
Login

Flash Fiction Stories

Flash fiction stories vary in length from anywhere between one hundred to one thousand words.

The aim of flash fiction is to ensure every word is absolutely necessary.

Stories in this category can cover any of the fiction genres, the challenge being to engage the reader and tell a complete story within a limited number of words.

“I’m sorry, I wish I had better news.” The doctor wears the face all doctors wear when delivering news no patient ever wanted to hear. “Do you have any questions?” I nod, then smile politely, unable to find the right words. How am I supposed to react? Wha...

As good as I can remember, I was somewhere between four and five years old. Easter was fast approaching. In a matter of weeks, I would be starting school. My dad was at work and my mother took me for a walk in the park. It seems funny how I can remember t...

Oh no, he’s about to recount the story of me falling out of a rowing boat. I told my brother that story always embarrassed me, he never listens. For god sake, I was only ten at the time and had never fished off a boat before. Oh well, at least it gave eve...

Spill The Tea

Sometimes love starts with a diamond ring.

It all began with something moving in my bubble tea—something too round to be a bug and too sparkly to be boba: a diamond ring. Glancing around the cafe didn't help me figure out how it had gotten there, nor did poking at it with my straw or looking under...

Promises Kept

Pulling the envelope from my pocket.

As I sat on the Greyhound bus I opened the window as it pulled away. I knew what I had to do, what I promised to do. Pulling the letter out of my pocket I stared at the brownish stains. Closing my eyes and once again being transported to the lush greenery...

One Of Us

Through hell or high water, there’ll always be family…

“Dad, grandma’s floatin’ in the kitchen,” my five-year-old daughter matter-of-factly said as I’d just settled in to watch the game. “Her foot’s caught on the damn ceilin’ fan again. She’s just spinnin’ ‘round and ‘round… “ “Language,” I gently scolded my...

When She Was A Girl

Thriving, growing, moving, rising out of dysfunction.

When she was a girl, her world was shaky. Her father had left them and the mother, well, she needed those meds to keep her brain clear. Instead, the mother shoved them down the drain and listened to the gurgle of the disposal. It seemed to match the hush...

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Shadows dancing before your eyes Strange sounds in the stillness Expecting to be suprised Heartbeat racing Waiting for the final blow The shock does you in

See Through

…and the meek shall inherit the Earth.

To everyone in the room, she seems like just a normal girl wearing Vans, blue jeans, and a red hoodie, but to me, she is so much more.  This outwardly unassuming woman is not who she claims to be. She is not the woman everyone sees. They see the version s...

I’ve managed to get myself in a bit of a routine lately, I never thought I could. Untidiness was just one of my little ways. He said he liked that about me, at first. Of course, people change when you've been with them for a while. Now I’m as tidy as tidy...

There’s a girl who I frequently see on my street. Each morning for the past week or so, I watch from the living room window of my lower east side home as she passes by. It’s usually at the same time and she is always dressed neatly; a valid assumption tha...

Love and Learning

A second chance to learn is a lifeline to some

To everyone in the room, she seemed like just a normal girl wearing Vans, blue jeans, and a red hoodie. Such a first impression meant a lot to Saffy, because a sense of normality set her in good stead for the admissions interview she'd dreaded for so long...

Anonymous

Not once did she look at any of the other customers as she sat down and opened her laptop.

To everyone in the room, she seemed like just a normal girl wearing Vans, bluejeans, and a red hoodie. Nobody looked. No one cared. She was just another customer with a laptop, like so many others in the coffee shop. She ordered a drink, waited patiently,...