Find your next favourite story now
Login

G
Billy

6
6 Comments 6
1.1k Views 1.1k
1.7k words 1.7k words
Chapter 10

The morning after

It was morning, and Kaye had been awake for some time. Her normal drive to start her day early wasn't there. She wanted just to lie in bed a little longer. Sleep had evaded her during the night. The winter storm had passed, and the sun now shone through her bedroom window. Kaye rolled over in bed and pulled the quilts tightly up around her.

She found the warm spot on the bed again and curled her legs up in it. Her forehead and eyes were the only things exposed. As She lay there, she began going over the events of the previous day. Kaye didn't want to go there, not just now. Her mind instead drifted and began to admire the paintings the frost left on her second-floor bedroom windows. They were always so unique. Her mind wandered back to when she was much younger. When she could remain in bed on holidays and weekends.

Her daydreaming brought back memories of the stories her mom had read to her when she was little. Her young imagination would run wild after being tucked in for the night. Scared of the giant that lived in the clouds. Could you really plant magic beans?

Afraid of witches after Halloween and about stories of Jack Frost and how he would come in the night and paint the windows for the children to see in the morning. Everything seemed to scare her when she was little. But Jack scared her the most.

The what if's would creep in, what if he looked in the windows and watched her as she slept. What if he took you to his cold home? What if he was not even a man, but a ghost and he would bite her and give her... A FROST BITE! So she would hop out of bed and open her bedroom door, letting in more light from the living room, and then would dash back to bed hiding under the covers.

Kaye had searched the internet a little about the myth of Jack Frost when she became older. It surprised her to find like Santa Claus, Jack Frost had many names throughout the world where winters were cold and prevalent. One myth she enjoyed was that he appeared as an old man thought to be the son of Kari, the Norse god of the winds. His name was, "Jokul Frosti" which in English simply meant frosty icicle.

Kaye liked calling him Jack Frost and discontinued the research. She wanted to keep her scary childhood memories intact. Besides she liked Jack Frost's taste in abstract art or was he an impressionist?

Her mind returned to the events of last night before once again and what do about the words that had been exchanged with Ed. She was still upset with him and with herself. The way he spoke to her as if she were a teenager and not his wife. It really hurt. Kaye did not want to carry over last night's argument into today. She knew they would have to talk. Kaye knew Ed was right about the farm’s finances, but she also knew, she would not have done anything differently.

The phone rang interrupting her thoughts. She reached for it, as it rang a second time. She pressed the answer button on the portable phone, but she was too late, Ed had gotten there first. It surprised her that he was still in the kitchen at this time of the morning. It was Barb from the clinic. She looked at the clock. Oh, Gods, It's almost 9 am. She looked for the dogs, they were not in the bedroom with her, Ed must have let them out and let me sleep in she thought. Kaye listened in on the call.

"Good morning Ed how are you? I was wondering if Kaye might be around." Barb asked.

"I'm fine Barb thank you, yes she is here, but still in bed, she had a late night. I am glad you called I was wondering about the collie that Kaye brought to you last night, how is he doing? He was in bad shape when Kaye left with him."

“He hasn't moved very much, Ed, he will need some care I hope you two are up for it,“ Barb said.

“Last night meant a lot to Kaye Barb, thank you for your kindness. You and Mike have been good to us over the years, and last night,” Ed paused then continued. “Well, I just want you to know how much it means to us." Ed Said.

Kaye was about to break in on the conversation and say hi but decided just to listen. Ed's voice had compassion in it. She smiled, as she listened to him speak to her friend. Yes. She thought that was the man I married. She turned off her phone and set it back on its charger. She smiled then stretched herself out, cat-like in bed letting out a long sigh. It was time to get up.

Ed had just hung up the phone when he heard movement on the second floor. The scuffing sounds her large sleepers. He watched his wife enter the kitchen. He always admired the way she moved with such grace, even when she was wearing puppy-headed slippers and his housecoat. He watched as she performed her morning tea ritual.

He needed to talk to her and hoped she would be receptive. Kaye poured water into the electric kettle, plugged it into the outlet over the kitchen counter top, opened a canister, took out a teabag, and placed it in her cup that her grandmother had given her when she had graduated high school. Laid out a napkin and placed the spoon on it. Then went over to the dogs, knelt down and petted them. Both wagged their tails, beating the floor and walls of the kitchen like base drums.

They rolled on their backs as she scratched their tummies. She took a chair and slid her feet out of the slippers, tucked her feet up on the seat, wrapped them in Ed's long house coat hemming in her toes to keep them warm and off the cold kitchen floor.

She wrapped her arms around her legs interlocking her fingers to keep herself tucked in place. She rested her chin on her knees, gave a squinted cat like smile at her husband. Kaye wanted to be the first to break the ice. But Ed beat her to it.

"Kaye, about last night.” Ed began then stopped. He wanted it to come out right. This kind of thing was so hard for him, not the apology that was needed to be said, but what he wanted to say.

“I'm sorry for the things I said to you, I trust you, I count on you in so many ways. You are a wonderful partner, and I do love you. I guess sometimes... I do feel I am married to this dam farm. With the failed crops and the beef prices so low, I took it out on you. We get one very good year then two bad ones. I get so frustrated at times. I seem to miss the little things that should be more important, I love the way you are Kaye, so next time maybe we can just talk."

Kaye left her spot, went over sat on Ed's lap, and snuggled into him. "You hurt my feelings last night Ed. Your dad came out of you. I love your dad, but I married you, I love you too, we'll be okay, you will see." Kaye said.

Kaye kissed him on the lips. Her eyes opened eyebrows lifted. Somewhere deep inside, a little moan escaped her, ghost-like. She began to tingle when he kissed her back and held her tightly in his arms. Kaye broke the kiss slowly. She held Ed's face in her hands.

“Mmm... that was a wonderful surprise," Kaye said, responding to the added affection. She looked into his eyes with a worried look as her eyebrows narrowed. 

"Did you get a visit by three spirits last night Ed?” She asked. 

Ed smiled back."No, but this Ebenezer does love you, I just don't show it, I will try harder I promise." 

"Sounds wonderful to me,” Kaye said. She wrapped her arms around his neck and pressed herself into him, laying her cheek against his.

"I overheard you on the phone with Barb. You had already answered when I picked up. I had heard a little before I hung up. Thank you for being kind to her, I know she, not your favorite person, but she has been a good friend to us, what did she want?" Kaye asked.

"If the dog is awake, Barb needs to be out of the office later this afternoon and won't be back until tomorrow, so she asked if we would pick the collie up after 1 pm she would appreciate it.

Kaye looked at Ed. "We, huh?" and she smiled "You going to the clinic with me... Ed Ebenezer Smith?"

Ed smiled back at his new name. "Sure, if that's okay with you? I have a few things to do. I have to drop off hay for the cattle, finish cleaning up around the barns a little more snow blowing. Just give me an hour or two and we can run into town after that. Besides maybe I will like the dog they're supposed to smart."

Ed looked at her and then looked at Benny and Dodger, who lay panting on their bed in the corner of the kitchen. They were watching Ed and Kay. "Wouldn't that be different," he said.

Kaye looked over at her dogs. "Awwww, now you be nice to my boys, they're kind of smart, in their own way.

“Aren’t you…. and so cute too!” Kaye said in a hi pitched voice Their tails wagging increased. She placed another kiss on Ed's cheek. Both dogs barked in response to the sound of her voice.

"Yes, they do know how to bark, they have made wonderful doorbells," Ed said and kissed Kaye's forehead. The kettle began to whistle.

“It's my tea and toast time," Kaye said, with that she slid off his lap slid off Ed's lap.

Published 
Written by aidan
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments