Find your next favourite story now
Login

G
Billy

"Chapter nineteen"

3
2 Comments 2
962 Views 962
2.6k words 2.6k words
The Pitty Party

When Kaye arrived back at the Clinic, Barb was at her desk. Billy got to his feet and limped to welcome her, as she came in. Barb put down her pen; Kaye said nothing just took a seat on the couch put her purse on the floor, looked over at Barb and the dog. Barb filled the tea kettle plugged it in and sat down beside her. She looked at Kaye “life not a bowl of cherries for you today Kaye? Tell me what's going on." Barb asked. Kaye filled her in on Ed's condition. Kaye took a Kleenex from the box that was on the side table didn't look at Barb just stared at the floor. She played with the tissue a bit, as she held it.

“Do you remember how you wanted things after you finish school. You just knew If you studied hard and got the grades; you could make it all come true. That's what they tell you. That dam brass ring. I remember looking through Better Homes, Vogue daydreaming about how nice it would be to have a beautiful home, how I would arrange things in the rooms, you meet the man of your dreams, have a little girl or boy, and share with them the values you had been taught. Buy designer clothes; I knew some day I would have them all; if I just worked hard enough. Then you date, and you exchange a few of your dreams for new ones. You give up your career after you meet the guy you fall in love with, that's okay at least I get the happy home and children right.” She was talking more to herself than to Barb she continued playing with the tissue. Kaye closed her eyes thinking back about all the dreams she once had; after a pause, she began again.

“To be with him; you trade the lifestyle a bit more, give up the clothes, the new car, the fancy house. All because you fell in love. But is it worth it? Things would just work out if you worked hard enough. But it's all a lie Barb. Then reality reminds, you didn't give anything away; it was just a dream." Kaye crumpled up the tissue, looked up at Barb. “Then life kicks you right in the ass, to wake you up."

Billy got up and stood in front of Kaye poked his cold nose in Kaye's face and sat down in front of her, with his mouth half opened it looked as if the dog was smiling at her as if to say. “Don't be sad Kaye I'm here."

Kaye mindlessly patted Billy's head combing his coat with her fingers. He hopped half on her lap front paws on her knees nuzzled into her neck whipping and licked her face. Kaye placed her arms around him hugged him back, looked over at Barb.

“Sorry Barb, that's just me feeling sorry for myself, I've said way too much, just having a pity-party, I'm sorry, I should just go. Kaye reached for her purse beside the sofa to leave. Barb held her hand before she could get to her feet.

She lifted Kaye's chin up with her fingers. "Look at me Kaye,” she said.

Kaye was ashamed of what she had just said, ashamed of the way she looked, embarrassed of the way she had just given up. She tried to resist Barb's eyes. Kaye just wanted to go home. “look at me damn you," Barb said again. Kaye gave in looked in her eyes.

“Kaye Smith,” Barb began. “You and Ed have had your share of shit rain down on your shoulders the last little. But you two have stayed tight together and still in love, and anyone can see that. You two have more going for you right now than so many others that have the fancy cars, the beautiful clothes. I love your home. It will get the white paint with the green trim and shutters; you'll see. Most couples would not have been able to hang on the way you and Ed have. But you will be fine, Kaye, I believe that with all my heart. Everything will come together for you two.” Kaye was able to give a little smile. Barb had given her the pep talk that she needed to hear.

“So what are your plans for dinner?” Barb asked, "Something good I hope.” 

“Inviting yourself over are you?” Kaye sniffed.

Barb shrugged her shoulders, "There's nothing good to eat at my place, and I just might spend the night too.” Barb added. Slapping Kaye on the leg as she got to her feet to unplug the kettle. “You didn't think today's examination was free, did you? You know you know better than that.”

“It might be leftovers, nothing fancy," Kaye said, grateful for the company “I just might have a couple of pieces of lemon meringue pie left over, though.” Kaye's mood was improving she liked that Barb invited herself over for dinner.

Barb poured the water into the mugs dropped in the herbal tea. “We can talk about all my broken dreams tonight if you want, and you can make me tea; as I cry,” Barb replied handing Kaye her tea and began to tell her the story of the hunk she had to say good-bye to for veterinary school.

Kaye got home ahead of Barb who was to follow after the clinic closed. Her dogs were there giving her the usually royal greeting. She hugged them got a cookie for each of them, she tossed each of them, let them out to do their dog stuff. Billy was blending in with the family so well. She loved his coat the shine was coming back now, and the hair that had been shaven was filling in nicely. The reality he would be leaving soon made her a little sad. She was glad the owner would have him back, but she loved his way and admired him so much.She opened her purse and took out the matchbook with his owner's number on it, looking at the book, wondering who this Tom Brennan might be like. She opened and closed the match book a few times then laid it on the window ledge

Kaye hurried to shower and change so she would have dinner ready when Barb arrived. She was finishing things when the dogs erupted hearing the car coming up the drive, announcing Barb's arrival.

Barb came through the door greeted the dogs and handed Kaye a nice bottle of wine that they both enjoyed. “I thought we might enjoy this tonight," as she passed a DVD over to Kaye. "Our favorite, The Bridges of Madison County, I thought we could both use a good cry over Francisca's choice of not leaving to follow Robert,” Barb said.

Kaye looked at Barb "more tears, and I was worried I was all cried out, thank you Barb, how sweet of you to think of me.” Kaye said. Kaye had laid out a table of bread, cheeses, and a few grapes. The two sipped wine talked about mutual friends that they both had known, being surprised that they had never bumped into each other until Barb had moved to the area.

Kaye mentioned that Ralph had thought he found Billy's owner. Barb looked startled at the news. “Oh no, I was hoping no one would be looking for him, you both love him so much. If it weren't for you, he would be dead. He really should be yours,” Barb scowled. "That dog was abused Kaye If he did that to Billy I wouldn't want him to go back there."

“I know I feel the same way, but I have to call at least, I need to know if this Brennan guy is like that. If he is, or if I get a hint that he's a jerk, I'm ending the call, and he will have a fight on his hands,” Kaye promised.

She looked over at Billy piled on top of Benny and Dodger all were fast asleep. “We're going to miss him, he just fit in here so nicely; Ed loves him too. It makes me sad; Ed has never taken to a dog like he has Billy.” Kaye said.

After dinner and the dishes were done they went into the TV room, Kaye put the movie in the player pressed pause just as the large Warner Bros. Logo came on the screen. Poured a little more wine sat down with the matchbook and began to dial the Number for Tom Brennan.

Meanwhile, at the Brenan's farm. Their meal had been a quiet one, expecting a phone call regarding Billy. Small conversations had taken place. Karen's upcoming winter break; she had made plans to go with a group of her friends to a resort doing some downhill skiing, she planned to leave on boxing day. Her Grandfather made small jokes regarding her poor balance, and he would visit her every day in the hospital.

Old Tom talked with his son, and wanted to be put to work, at least a little bit “I want to earn my keep around here Tommy, there must be something you might trust me to do.” Tom said.

The old farmer felt there was no reason why he was not being put behind the wheel of a farm tractor or hauling hay to the livestock. His son stopped his fork that was making its way to his mouth, placed it back on the plate.

“Dad you have taught most everything I know about framing, don't say that to me. There isn't anyone I trust more; I just don't want you out right now, the Dr. said it should be at least a few more weeks before you do anything around the farm, I just want you to relax and take it easy. If anyone has deserved that, it's you.” He looked at his dad knowing that being kept like this was not doing his father any good either. "I have a few things I need to do in town I would like for you to come along with me, maybe we should start looking around for another half ton for you while we're there."

Tom's eyes lit up when he heard that and agreed that he would settle for that. “I'd like that; It's just that I need to get out of the house Tommy I miss the outdoors.”

After dinner, Tommy and his father were watching the evening news. Karen was keeping an ear peeled and watching the clock since 6:30 for the phone to ring. She was hoping there would be a call tonight regarding Billy from Mr. Phillips. As she was wiping the last plate, the phone rang she looked over at her mom then trying to calm herself cleared her throat before she grabbed the phone from its cradle.

“Brennan farms, Karen Brennan speaking” she began and listened to the female voice. Faye was watching her daughter rolled her eyes at the Brennan farm's greeting. Karen smiled at her mom knowing how Faye hated her saying that on the phone. Making the farm they lived on was something you might hear about on a TV program.

Karen began to relax and smiled as the conversation between her and Kaye Smith continued talking to her giving her mom the thumbs-up sign meaning that the woman on the other end of the phone had Billy.

She began to describe the dog to Kaye as if some form of authorization was needed. “Yes well okay, sure Karen started. His name is Billy; he's a border collie and about four years old, he has white spotted front legs black and white coat.”

The conversation continued Karen saying little just listening to Kaye. “Oh my God, no, is he okay is he hurt," The sudden oh my God no, was enough to bring Old Tom from the adjoining family room into the kitchen. The old man looked at his granddaughter's face for signs of hope; none came for a while. The conversation went on. Karen was seeing that her Grandfather was watching her wanted to end her part of the call and pass him the phone.

“Oh, Billy belongs to my Grandfather Mrs. Smith. I will put him on the phone for you Mrs. Smith; you have no idea what you have done means to this family, thank you so much.” Karen passed the phone to her grandfather. She hugged her grandfather. Whispering excitedly in his ear,"I told you we would find him."

Old Tom smiled at her, patted Karen her excitement made him relax. “Hello, this Tom Brennan speaking.” He began and listening, letting Kaye do most of the talking. Karen, Faye, and young Tom gathered around him waiting to see what news he would have about Billy returning to the family. Tom smiled listened, adding a few words in the conversation from time to time.

“Yes he would be able to manage herding cattle that's all he knows Mrs. Smith,” Tom said. Old Tom related to her some of the events leading up to Billy's disappearance, the heart attack, and the accident, but was unsure how he would have managed to have traveled so far from home. Kaye explained how Billy wandered in their driveway, a little about his condition at the time, and he has recovered from his wounds nicely. Kaye paused then asked the question that she had wanted to ask all day long.

“I suppose.” Kaye asked, “I suppose there is no way you would part with him, is there?” There was a pause Tom hadn't expected that question. He liked this lady, but the answer would have to be no. “Billy isn't for sale Mrs. Smith; he is part of my family I'm sorry I never planned to have another dog you know. I made a promise to a friend of mine that gave him to me as a gift, I would keep him and take care of him, so I'm sorry no. I couldn't let him go. That dog has a very special way about him though I know he can worm his way into your heart, I see that you have noticed it too, but no, I'm sorry I could never sell him to you or anyone.” Tom had a good feeling about this woman he was talking with on the phone, and how lucky Billy had been to have her on his side. He was excited for the first time in a very long while at the thoughts of seeing his little Billy again. “I would like to pick him up so if I could get directions to your farm. I have a few things to do tomorrow but would be able to get him the following day though if that would be convenient for you?” Tom said.

Kaye was sure that no was the answer that she would receive from him. But said anytime he needed a home please keep her in mind. She gave directions and her cell phone number just in case he might get lost on the way to their farm informing him she would be at the farmhouse waiting for him to arrive. Slowly placing the portable back on his charging station she looked over at Barb and pouted. “Well, that's that I guess, what a nice sounding man Barb he's not mean Barb,” Kaye said. She sighed a long slow sigh picked up the remote and pressed play on the DVD player. “The Bridges of Madison County” began to play.
Published 
Written by aidan
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments