Find your next favourite story now
Login

G
Billy

"Chapter twenty five"

4
3 Comments 3
873 Views 873
3.5k words 3.5k words
Kaye arrived at the hospital around one that afternoon. She was wearing her best clothes. She smiled as she came into the room. Ed was sitting up, smiled as she came in with Tom who placed two chairs beside the bed. She introduced Old Tom to her husband. Ed was pleased to meet him; it was nice to get a chance to meet the owner of Billy.

Kaye explained that Tom had stayed during the storm cleared out the yards and fed the cattle. She had brought all the paperwork and the bill of sale for him to look over, Ed was in agreement with it.

“Mr. Brennan.” Ed began, "They are good cattle that you have purchased the start of a fine heard.”

Tom smiled at Ed. “I believe they will Ed; you have worked hard and it shows in the cattle I saw at your farm this morning. We leave our cattle out in the open; I like that you take care of your stock the way you do; please just call me Tom,” Tom said

“Well I like to keep a close eye on them, next year that area will be just for calving," Ed said.

Tom got up and shook hands, Ed. “Well; I guess we have a deal if my son goes along with it, I can't for the life of me see why he wouldn't. I'm sure he will be as impressed as I have been. I have a few things to do in town Kaye; I will be back in and hour for you, nice meeting you Ed you get out of this place, a hospital is no place for a farmer.” Tom said.

"I have to agree with you Tom; I hope to see you and your son soon," Ed said.

After Tom had left Kaye took Ed's hand. “Dr said I should be able to get out of here tomorrow, I can't wait, I miss your cooking," Ed said.

“I'm glad too; you look much better today Ed, your color is back, you had me worried. So your not mad at me are you for not talking to you first. It was an offer we couldn't turn down Ed,” Kaye said.

"Mad; God no, were so lucky Kaye." Ed smiled

Kaye liked the word lucky today. She smiled "Yes Ed were very lucky indeed." They went through the sale again. The bills that had to be paid. It was a huge load off Ed's shoulders.

“I guess we will have to hire an extra set of hands around the farm for the next month at least,” he said, as he waved his broken arm. By then we'll have calving coming up. I was thinking of hiring Billy Fisher; he was laid off a month ago, could use the work.” Ed said.

“So I get stuck in here for a day or so, and you start selling off half my stock."

Kaye smiled at him. “That will teach you to go away,” Kaye said.

“Kaye this sale alone will give us such a boost. God, I love you so much.” Kaye was pleased as well. Their year, their farm and their marriage were as it should be, moving forward together as one. But what she loved most was to see a smile back on the only man she had ever loved.

“Ed, would you do me a favor?”

Ed nodded. “Anything what would you like Kaye?”

She paused looked down at her feet for a few seconds; she began to blush, “Just say that to me again."

"The last time I was here.” She paused, “You gave me a compliment as I was leaving, but you were sedated, I would just like...” Kaye felt silly now begging for a compliment. “Never mind Ed I'm silly. I should go Tom must be here by now, and I better get myself at the door. It's has been a nice day for us," Kaye said.

She kissed Ed on his forehead rubbed her cheek on his. She was glad his fever had gone down, glad he was coming home tomorrow and things were returning to normal. “I'll be back tonight with some homemade soup for you. Now you get better; I am so going to spoil you when you get home.” She was doing up her coat.

“I can't wait to be home, Kaye,” Ed said.

She was almost out the door. Ed called out. “Hey, Kaye.”

She turned around in the doorway and smiled. “What is it Ed, do you need something.”

Ed paused for a moment, smiled. “No I was just wondering is all.” He said.

“Wondering what love.” She asked.

"I was wondering if anyone told you how kind, honest loving and how truly beautiful you are.”

Kaye looked down then back at him, she smiled at him and shook her head slowly no. “Only you Ed; just you."

Kaye stood in the doorway for a moment and felt the warmth of a blush on her cheeks again; she was beginning to enjoy that heat.

“I love you, Ed Scott,” Kaye said. She left the room feeling more beautiful than she ever had.

Tom was just pulling into the hospital to pick her up as she was making her way out the front lobby. As she got into the cab, Billy made room for her; he poked his cold, wet nose at the base of her neck as she finished putting on her seat belt. It made her smile. She petted him as they drove onto the street. They both had a few errands they needed to get done before they went back to the farm. Tom had accepted Kaye's invitation to dinner and agreed to stay one more night. His son Tommy would be there in the afternoon to look over their newly acquired herd. Ed would more than likely be released from the hospital in the morning, if his health continued to improve so he would be able to join them.

Kaye was still beaming from the compliment that Ed had given her during the visit. She had a little romance in her life for the first time in a very long while and was starved for more. She was smiling thinking to herself how lucky she was, then smiled about the tantrum she had in her Jeep only two days before. “Yes.” She thought to herself. “I am so very lucky, and everything is perfect.”

“Where would like to stop Tom, I just need to pick up a few groceries and maybe some cold cuts for sandwiches for tomorrow. I can pick them up at Sammy's it's along the way.”

"Well, I want to go to the Jeep dealership here in town.” He looked over at her. “Kaye I don't want you to get cross with me, but they are working on your Jeep. I had them tow it into town for you. You're going to need it to be running. It's something I wanted to do for you. You have been so good to me; I have my Billy back, and that means so much to me. So please just let me do this for you.” Tom said.

Kaye looked over at him; “Tom I can't let you do that, feeding you is nothing, As far Billy is concerned, we have gone over that, you don't owe Ed and me anything.” Kaye said.

Tom looked at Kaye and smiled down at her. “Well you're going to lose this one Kaye, so you might as well give in now as later because I'm doing it, so why don't you work on a thank and let it go,” Tom said.

She gave Tom her best scowling Kaye look. Tom looked over and began to chuckle at her. “Yea it's a good one Kaye, but my Jenny's was scarier. But you keep working on it, though.” He chuckled.

Kaye's scowl broke into a smile and said. “Well I guess that only leaves a thank you Tom, but you shouldn't have done that, I didn't want any payment for Billy, I was happy just to do it."

“I know Kaye, and that's why it's so easy for me to do this little favor for you, I have a feeling our families are going to be working together, I hope so. anyways."

Old Tom pulled the half ton by the curb in front of Sammy's Meats. Tom, Kaye and Billy got out. Kaye entered Sammy's. Tom had told Billy to stay outside the store. Billy planted himself just to the side of the doorway. Tom went into the bakery next door. Kaye went to deli section. She was looking at the cheese display. She didn't care for Sammy very much, but he did have an excellent selection of cheese and cold cuts, and he bought a lot of beef from them. Ed thought it was only good business practice to shop there.

Sammy was behind the counter wrapping a cut of beef. His helper, Eric, saw Kaye and went over to where she was standing in front of the cheese display.

“Good afternoon Mrs. Scott how can I help you.” Eric smiled.

“Hi Eric, I was looking for some sliced Swiss and maybe a pound of shaved smoked ham for sandwiches,” Kaye said. Eric set the blade on the meat cutter and showed Kaye a sample wondering if it was thin enough. “That's perfect Eric,” Kaye said.

A customer was leaving when he saw Billy looking through the door.

“Hey Sammy, your little four-legged friend is back, at least I think it's him.”

Sammy shot a looked through the door window and saw the collie looking in and once again blocking the path of one of his customers. He cursed loudly.

“Oh my God! I thought I took care of him last time, well I will take care of this once and for all.” Sammy said. He excused himself from his customers. “He won't be back when I am done with him.”

Kaye overheard Sammy's raised voice and turned to see what was going on but was unable to see that Billy was the cause of the commotion. He was still sitting in front of the door panting waiting for Kaye to exit the store. Sammy was making his way out the door holding a chunk of beef in one hand. Kaye walked around a display and saw that Sammy was about to leave the store. He had another couple scraps of meat in his other hand. Kaye thought perhaps it was a treat for Billy and was just watching. Sammy swung the door open quickly The movement startled the dog, Billy remembered Sammy and began to back away slowly.

Kaye made her way to the door where the customers were watching through the windows. “What's going on Jack? she asked.

“Sammy's little friend is back, poor dog. I heard Sammy kicked the living hell out of him about five weeks ago. I am surprised he's back.” Jack said. He turned to the other customers. “It's not right you know, he shouldn't treat animals like this.” Jack Davis shook his head and just left the store. He stopped and talked to Sammy pointing to the dog shaking his head back and forth. Sammy began explaining to him. Sammy's voice raised.

” Mr. Davis, I have a right to protect my shop, and by God, I am going to!” Sammy's temper got the better of him, so he finally just fanned his customer away with his hand. Mr. Davis walked away shaking his head. Kaye looked on for a moment. Then what Jack Davis had said; was sinking in. The broken ribs were part of Billy's injuries; they had come from Sammy. Kaye's eyes narrowed, and her teeth clenched, she opened the door slowly. Sammy was trying to entice Billy with a piece of trimmed beef he was holding. Billy just backed away a few more steps and began to growl then bark at him.

“Here Doggy come to Uncle Sammy. Stop your barking now come to Sammy, you useless little piece of shit. That's it; nice stupid doggy.” Sammy had not heard the door open behind him or had seen Kaye standing there.

“Sammy! What are you doing?” Kaye screamed.

Sammy was startled, he turned. He was upset for the second time he was being questioned, now this time by a woman. He looked at Kaye and scowled at her for stopping him. He raised his hand and fanned her away too. “Sammy I asked you what are you doing?”

“Well if you must know. This damn dog comes here every night, upsets my garbage cans, I have to clean it up. He frightens my customers, so if you don't mind Kaye Scott; just mind your damn business for once in your life. After today he won't be back. I can promise you that."

Kaye walked over in front of Sammy and began to scream in his face. Kaye grabbed the scraps of meat out of Sammy's hand tossed it against the store's window where the customers were looking on.

“Oh, I know he won't be, I can promise you that. I can also promise you that I won't be back either, I can promise you can get your beef from someone else. I'm reporting you to the police. I can further promise you a write-up in this week’s paper." Sammy was furious that a woman would talk to him in this manner. He stepped forward glared down at her.

“Fine if that's how you feel! That's just fine by me. But it's not like he's your dog, so why you making such fuss about a stray, and I have a right to protect my customers from animals like this.” Sammy said. Sammy's finger was inches away from Kaye's nose.

Sammy was not intimidated by Kaye. He knew the customers were watching him. Because he bought a lot of beef from her and Ed, he thought he would take advantage of her needing him. He poked Kaye hard on the shoulder with his finger.

“So mind your own business.” Kaye stumbled backward on the icy sidewalk. The low growl got much louder behind her. Billy slowly moved forward stepping in between Kaye who was picking herself up from the sidewalk, his teeth bared, he had dealings with bulls like this before. Sammy was taken back by the dog's change of moods and began to back up slowly. Billy's intimidation was working very well on Sammy.

“Okay, fine!” Sammy said. He threw his hands up as he backed away. “But I'm calling the police; I'll have that crazy dog put down. I don't want you back in my store again Kaye Scott.” Sammy pointed his finger in Kaye's face. Pedestrians were starting to gather around the altercation. A woman went over and asked if she was all right.

“She's fine lady; she just slipped on the ice,” Sammy told her, making light of Kaye's fall.

As he turned Sammy ran into Old Tom who had been watching. He dropped the parcel he was holding and with one quick movement of his long arm wrapped his fingers quickly around Sammy's thick neck and backed Sammy up against the storefront and began to choke him. Sammy's eyes began to bulge out.

“Now let's see, if I have this right. Tom said, staring Sammy in the eyes. “What I saw was, you assaulted Mrs. Scott here; you wanted to kick my dog that was just sitting on the sidewalk minding his own business, and now you think you have the right to call the police?” Tom shook his head slowly. “Nope, I don't believe so. I think I will call them and have you arrested for harassment, for assault, and for animal cruelty. How’s that sound for starters?”

Tom pulled Sammy toward him whispered. “Or maybe we can just go in the back alley and settle this the old fashion way, what do you say? In a few days when the swelling goes down, and your out of the hospital. You can tell your customers that you got your ass handed to you by a poor old farmer with a heart condition.” Tom squeezed Sammy’s throat a bit harder, more gurgles.

“I think Mrs. Scott deserves an apology, don't you?" Sammy was having a hard time to breathe let alone speak. Sammy nodded quickly in agreement.

“I'm, I'm sorry Kaye.” Sammy coughed out only a few words when Tom squeezed harder and shook him.

“Her name is Mrs. Scott to you; her friends are allowed to call her Kaye. Now, what were you saying.” Tom asked.

Sammy nodded with more a little more enthusiasm. He looked in Tom's eyes. His hand went up to where Tom had a chokehold on him and nodded eagerly then at Kaye once again.

“I was saying I'm... I'm very sorry for the misunderstanding, Mrs. Scott. I should not have touched you; I am so sorry I didn't know this animal belonged to your friend here Kaye... I mean... Mrs. Scott.” Sammy gasped. Kaye did not acknowledge the apology. She got in his face.

“Billy is a pet; you're the only animal here. You have always disgusted me, Sammy, don't you ever touch me again. Ed will be in to settle our account in a few days; you can explain it to him.” Kaye said.

She slapped Sammy hard across the face. ”That's for your X!” Then cocked her leg back and kicked Sammy as hard as she could in the shin. “That's for Billy, who's the worthless piece of shit now.”

Sammy let out a deep moan when the toe of her leather boot stuck his shin bone. The customers in the store winced at the kick.

Tom still held Sammy's neck. “I'm new to your town Mr. I have to tell you; you're the only person I've met that I don't like. You sure have a strange way with your customers if you ask me.” Tom said.

He pushed Sammy backward against his storefront hard enough to make the windows rattle. Tom looked at the customer's that were watching through the window.

“Well maybe they feel sorry for you, I'm not sure. But I'm sure as hell not letting you push a defenseless woman around, shame on you.” Tom said.

The bystanders began to thin. They walked by saying hi to Kaye, shaking their heads at Sammy. Tom walked over to Kaye asked if she was okay. Kaye nodded. Sammy said nothing just limped back into his store, holding his neck. He began cursing and waving his arms and shouting at Kaye and Tom through the door, to just leave, and never come back.

Sammy's customers one by one were filing out of his store; they walked over to the old farmer, and Kaye asking if she was okay, shook Tom's hand then made their way down the street to the Grocery store. Billy calmed down and his tail wagged once again happy the incident was over, and they could get on with their day.

“Defenseless Woman Tom? Really?” Kaye said. She got on her toes and placed a kiss on his cheek. Kaye sighed. “You're my knight in shining armor, Mr. Tom Brennan.”

Tom smiled down at her, picked up his parcel of home baked bread. He offered Kaye his arm. Which she gladly took. Tom looked in the window at the embarrassed butcher as they walked down the sidewalk. “He's just a bully, a poor excuse for a human being, Kaye. But I do think we make a good team, don't you?”

Kaye smiled “Yes Tom; we do indeed.”

“Your Jeep is finished; I was right, the starter was gone, they parked it on the lot for you. I'll follow you home, and no more fighting Kaye Scott” Tom said smiling. Tom walked Kaye to her Jeep, handed her the keys. ”I like you, Kaye, you have a lot of spunk, I like that in a woman.” Kaye got in the jeep; it started easily. She rolled her window down.

“No more fighting at least today Tom Brennan, you have a lot of spunk; I like that in a man,” Kaye said.

Billy and Tom walked back to the truck. They walked past Sammy's again. Tom opened the door for Billy. Sammy banged on the window as they went buy. “That damn dog needs to be on a leash! We have by-laws in our town you know!” Sammy yelled at him.

Before he got in, Billy looked through the glass at Sammy, cocked his leg on Sammy's friendly service sidewalk sign. When he finished, he hopped into the truck. Sammy shook his fist at Tom who was smiling ear to ear. He just gave Sammy a smile, and a wave closed the door after Billy got in, The dog seemed to be smiling back at Sammy too.

“Damn Billy, I wish I would have thought of that fella,” Tom said. He put the truck in drive and drove off behind Kaye.

Published 
Written by aidan
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments