Find your next favourite story now
Login

G
Billy

"Chapter twenty six"

3
3 Comments 3
669 Views 669
2.5k words 2.5k words
Tom took the dogs out for a walk while Kaye prepared lunch. He enjoyed the last few days; it was nice to just get away from the routine of being watched over every hour by his family. Billy seemed to be a different dog here, here was much more relaxed here, it was nice to see him interact with the Huskies. As Tom made his way back up the driveway, he noticed Kaye on the porch with the phone in her hand.

“It’s your son, Tom, he would like to talk to you,” Kaye said. Tom wasn't on the phone very long.

“Tommy will be here around noon tomorrow Kaye if that all right with you. Do you think Ed will be well enough to give us a quick tour?” Tom asked. “Oh, I think so Tom,” Kaye replied.

Ed was out of the hospital the next day. He met with Tom and his son. He was more than happy to show off his setup. They picked out the cattle they had wanted, Ed recording them in a ledger. They had lunch and talked about the breed Ed offered whatever assistance Tommy may need at any time. The Brennan's wanted Ed and Kaye to come and visit soon. Tom and his son left later in the afternoon. Kaye, of course, shed a few tears at seeing not only Billy depart but a friend that she knew she might never have the privilege to meet again.

Kaye had her version of the perfect stuffing and her version of the perfect mincemeat pie.

Old Tom called at Christmas and again in February and again at Easter, asking about how the calving was going he planned to come and visit with them over Easter. He was looking forward to another buttermilk pancake supper with fresh maple sugar.

As Winter slowly turned into Spring, Old Tom had been back at his place shortly after the new year. The old routine soon fell in place. Billy laying beside the table as the old man cooked his lunch and dinners, Billy got the odd scrap from the table. Billy was as content as any dog could be. He would get a chance a few times a week herding sheep into the practice area the old farmer had set up for him. They were preparing for herding trials for summer.

When Tom turned the TV off, and prepared coffee for the morning. Billy followed the old farmer up the stairs to his bedroom.

 “Billy old-boy, we have a lot of work to do in the morning, so you best get some sleep,” Tom said. The Collie got his ears rubbed, and his goodie from the bedside table. He went to his blanket circled a few times, laid his head on his paws and drifted off to sleep listening to his owners breathing.

Tom drifted off as well, but it was an unsettled sleep at first. Soon he heard the birds sing; the sun was warm on his back. Tom knew this place; it was in his spring pasture. His old dog was there; Luna had just gathered the cattle he kneeled down and rubbed her tummy. He heard another dog bark; it was Billy, in the corner of the field. Tom whistled for him to come. The Collie got up and started to walk to him then stopped. He called again, Billy just sat and looked on. “Come, Billy, it's okay, come here now,” Tom said. Billy lay down in the field and just looked on.

“Tom! Breakfast is ready; please don't let it get cold.” it was Jenny's voice. Tom turned, and through the mist, he could see his wife, her hand was on her hip another shielding her eyes from the bright morning sun. He hurried, hoping he could get a chance to talk to her.

The pain began in his chest, his left arm began to go numb, his pace slowed as the pain intensified. Tom went down on one knee. Jenny walked toward him. He reached into his shirt pocket for his pills; then in his pants pockets; he began to panic as he went down on both knees.

“There not there Tom, you won't need them, love,” Jenny said. She reached out her hand and helped him to his feet. His pain left instantly. She was the same Jenny that he had asked to marry him so many years ago; she hadn't aged a day.

“I made your favorite Thomas; buttermilk pancakes bacon and eggs.” I hope you like them. I don't want them to get cold; we best get back to the house.” She said. On the front porch of the farmhouse, Tom's border collies had been watching no longer able to contain their excitement of having him back they began running through the tall after grass towards him. It was Jerry and his little Luna. Tom got on his knees hugging them as they all rolled on their backs getting their tummies scratched.

“They're glad to see you, Thomas,” Jenny said. Tom looked at his wife. “I have missed them; I never thought I would ever see them again. I have missed you so much, Jenny.”

Tom looked across the field at Billy and called to him to come. Billy just barked and began to whine unable to go any further. “He belongs over there, Thomas,” Jenny said as she tugged at his arm. Tom took one last look over at Billy watching him he began to fade into a shroud of white mist he turned slowly and followed his wife.

“He'll be here after a bit Thomas; he loves you very much.” A feeling of sadness flooded him he realized that he could never go back. “He's a special dog Jenny; I'm going to miss him. Tom said. Jenny knew how he felt; she took his hand, held it tightly, don't worry about him Kaye will take good care of him for you.” Jenny said. They continued walking towards the house. “I like Kaye, Jenny, their nice, aren’t they.” Yes, 

Thomas they are, Kaye is going to be busy I think soon,

Tom stopped walking placed his hands on his hips turned looked at her 

“Now how on earth would you know that?” Tom asked. She looked up at him smiling her dark blue eyes were bright twinkling in the morning sun.

“But we're not on earth Thomas,” Jenny said. She placed her hands on his face covering it. Tom felt her hands became warm they began to glow, it felt wonderful. The years melted away, the gray left, it returned to a coal black. The lines left, his skin became tight and smooth again as it once had many years ago. Jenny removed her hands she was still smiling up at him. “Aw there you are, that's better,” Jenny whispered, she patted his cheeks. She went up on her toes kissed him softly on the lips.

“Where are we?” He asked. Jenny smiled; whispered in his ear. “Your home Thomas; home with me now. How do you feel?” she asked.

Tom felt young again, full of curiosity, he kissed Jenny back. ”Incredible love, I feel young," he said. They continued to the kitchen door Tom paused pushed his gray fedora to the back of his head and looked over the farm yard then down at his young bride. He opened his kitchen door, picked his wife in his arms; she hugged his neck tightly as they went inside for breakfast.

Kaye and Ed, of course, attended Tom’s funeral, it gave them a chance to meet the rest of his family. After the funeral and over the course next few days, the old Tom’s life was shared. Some of the stories were funny, and some made Kaye tear up. She wished they could have spent more time with the kind old soul, but the time she had been allowed would always be a very special part of her life. Ed and Kaye stayed for several more days enjoying the family’s hospitality.

Billy would go missing at times, to be found lying on the welcome mat of the old farmer's house. Tom Jr. would drive over coaxing him into the farm truck and would take him back to his farm. Billy stayed close to Kaye and Ed during their stay. Sometimes bored he would drop a tennis ball in Ed’s lap wanting Ed to go outside and play. Billy laid with his head resting on Ed’s feet. A car or half-ton drove by, Billy’s ears perked, barked a couple of times and dashed to the kitchen window overlooking the driveway. He waited for Old Tom to come through the door, his tail wagging his mouth open his tongue hanging sideways. Slowly the tail slowed the mouth closed. He rejoined the men in the family room and lay by Ed’s feet once again and let out a low sigh.

“He seems to like you Ed; he’s never left your side.”

Ed smiled, as he was rubbing the dog’s belly. “Yeah, he’s a good boy, aren’t you fellah?" Ed said. "Well, we should be hitting the trail I guess, Tom, today, thank you for a great visit it was nice to walk your farm." They went on chatting on different farming and cattle topics throughout the rainy afternoon. Kaye and Faye joined their men in the family returning from an evening shop at the local mall.

Early the next morning Kaye and Ed loaded the Jeep after breakfast. Kaye said goodbye to their new friends. Billy, of course, was between her and Ed. Ed opened the door to his Jeep to leave; Billy hopped in. Ed smiled at the collie coaxed him out. Reluctantly; the collie did. Billy looked up at Ed cocked his head as if confused why he would not be traveling with them. Ed kneeled down beside the dog. Ed scratched Billy’s side and back patted the dog on the head.

“You be a good boy now Bill and stay, Your family is here, and they would miss you as much as I will. Ed got behind the wheel of the Jeep shut his door to the dismay of the dog. Looking back in his side mirror as he left the driveway and onto the road, he could see that young Tom was holding the collie back by the collar. Ed bit his lower lip.

“You're going to miss him, aren’t you Ed?” Kaye asked. Ed nodded.

“I will Kaye, I really will.” he said, he’s a one in a million.”

Late that evening they arrived home. Kaye’s dogs weren’t there to greet her; they had been staying with Ralph Philips while she was away. After they had unpacked, they made a late snack before bedtime. Ed was a little out of sorts he tried to settle into his usual routine but was unable to. Kaye witnessed this “What’s wrong Ed? You have been fidgeting ever since we got home.” Kaye asked.

“I don’t know, maybe just me, maybe missing the dogs, but since we came back from Tom Brenan’s; but I have been thinking Kaye. I think it’s time we sit down and talk about adopting; if you still want to? I have been online looking at the details; I don’t know anything about that kind of thing. It’s just that I don’t want us to grow old us to be alone any more Kaye.

Ed stopped when he saw Kaye, who was wiping large tears in her eyes with the back of her hand. Kaye placed her finger over Ed’s lips, kissed his forehead. She took his face in her hands kissed his lips softly.

“Yes, we will look into the process. I love, you so much; you are going to be a good dad Ed.”

Over the course of that spring, Ed and Kaye did look into the process of adoption, which was a much longer one than they had expected, but the chances of them being able to adopt a boy or girl were very promising.

Spring turned into summer, and during that time the house had been painted white with forest green trim. Kaye was at the foot of the ladder as Ed finished installing the last of homemade shutters that Kaye and he had made over the last few months.

As he made his way down the ladder, a car made its way into the yard. Of course, Benny and Dogger were quick to great the company with a mix of barks and growls. It was Tommy Brenan and his wife, Faye.

“What brings you two here?” Ed asked as the two got out of the car. Tom smiled looked in the car. “Well, Ed I know I should have called first, but, I was wondering if you and Kaye could do us a favor?” Tommy paused, looked at Ed then at Kaye, Ed said nothing for a second, wondering what Tommy possibly would need his help with, either way, it would be hard to say no to him so he answered. “Well Tom, if I can, I will sure try what is it that you need?

Tommy smiled, opened the car door. “Come on fella; Billy, jumped out of the car looked around for a second. “I was wondering if you had room for this stray. I keep finding over to my dad's farm every day. 

Billy’s yours if you still want him, that is?”

Billy made a quick dash to the couple. Billy’s tail was wagging his hind end; he was ecstatic to see them as well as Benny and Dogger. The couple dropped to their knees happily greeting the collie.

“Oh we might have room for him here, I missed the little guy,” Ed said.

"Well, that’s settled, we love him too, but he never settled in at home Ed. He has had a bad time of it without dad around. He has never stopped looking for him. I’m glad for you both; I know he will be happy here and in great hands. I have a few tapes and notes my dad put together when he used for his herding clinics; I think they will come in handy for you. He loved to work cattle and sheep, Ed.” Tom said as he handed Ed a small box of instructions.

"Ed and I were just about ready to start lunch; you have to join us,” Kaye said.

The four walked from the driveway and into the house. Faye mentioned how lovely the Old farm house looked. “it looks like its right out of a Rockwell painting, so grand from the road.” Thank you, Faye, it’s my dream come true.” Kaye said.

Kaye called over to Billy who was getting reacquainted with Benny and Dodger. Billy obeyed the call and followed them all into the house happily.

The End

Published 
Written by aidan
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments