Find your next favourite story now
Login

G
Billy

"A dogs journey home"

4
6 Comments 6
1.0k Views 1.0k
3.6k words 3.6k words
Chapter 6

A Beacon of Hope

Kaye fought to keep the car on the snow covered road. The car's wipers made dragging sounds, as they ran over the bits of ice, the Jeeps frozen blades failed to do much. The wipers wore away at the sheet of melting ice. Bits of ice broke away from the main body slowly but left a wet sheen behind. The snow stuck to it, as they swiped across it, leaving it blurred, then clear, then blurred again. She hit the washer fluid it seemed to do nothing to improve the visibility if anything it made it worse. The strong wind caused whiteouts, further impairing her vision to know where she was on the road. With no other vehicle tracks to guide her, she made her best guess. Kaye decided to stay in what she thought was the center of the road, taking calculated peeks between the console at Billy laying on the back seat. There had been little if any movement for a while. Turning on the jeep's dome light, she called to him. Nothing, then whistled, his ears did not move, She whistled again, nothing. She called his name and still no response. Kaye's heart sank she pulled to the side of the road and stopped the Jeep, hit the 4-ways. She was a little afraid what she might find what awaited her as she got out of the jeep. She leaned over Billy, lifted the blanket biting her lower lip and hoping, he was not gone. As she called his name again, there was no movement. Kaye shook Billy softly. The dog's ears twitched and his eyes opened. He groaned, lifted his head and looked over his shoulder at Kay, his tail wagged a little. He had just been sleeping.

Thank you God; Kaye thought to herself. Tears welled up again and she pushed them back. Kaye looked at him and smiled, rubbed the collie around his head and ears whispering to him.

"We will be there soon Billy, you just rest, hang on okay?" Kaye said.

Billy laid his head back down. His face began to feel the warmth from the car's heater. It felt so good, he closed his eyes and went back to sleep. As she closed the rear door, Kaye looked at the road she had to travel. Kay looked tipped her review mirror, five more miles, she thought.

"I wish Ed were here." she said out loud. "You are a stubborn, silly woman Kaye Smith."

Putting her gloves back on, She squinted through the winter storm, walked in front of the Grand Cherokee and cleaned off the snow that was sticking to the Jeep's headlights. As she walked back to get in, she was pleased to see the windshield was almost clear of ice. She noticed that her tire tracks started to fill back in a little too quickly from the falling snow in the little time that she had pulled over.

She heard a rumble approaching her from behind. She looked down the road that she just traveled. She saw a faint yellow beacon of light, getting stronger. Sparks occasionally sprayed into the storm from the blade of the plow truck as it struck the chip seal.

Kaye allowed herself a small smile for the first time since leaving home. The snow plow was a welcome sight. It slowed and stopped about 20 feet in front of her vehicle, it's wing started to rise. Kaye walked toward the driver's side door of the truck. She smiled while she looked up at the unmistakable figure behind the wheel. She reached for the door handle to open it, but the driver beat her to it and swung his long legs out of the cab of the truck.

"Kaye Smith! Is that you?" Asked a voice deep clearly heard over the truck's engine.

His name was Ralph Phillips, a neighbor of Kaye’s. Ralph was a little over six feet tall. He was in his mid-fifties, a little overweight, a heavy eater and smoker. Kaye thought of him as just a big friendly teddy bear. Ralph and his wife, Violet were one of the first to welcome Kaye to the area.

Ralph was a jack-of-all-trades and master of them all. Kaye and Ed hired him to resurrect most of the poorly maintained farm equipment that had been part of the sale when they purchased the farm. What Ralph couldn’t find for parts at the dealer or scrap yard he could fabricate. Over the years, he built his machine shop complete with a metal lathe and milling machine. Some of the tools were one of a kind of Ralph’s creation. Many of the younger farm boys came to him in the spring to get their toys ready for the season's tractor pulls. Ralph won most of them. Ralph was a very busy man, he was well off, loved and respected by many in the province. In the winter, the county hired him to keep 25 miles of road safe for travel. Ralph took his duties very seriously.

Sticking his head out of the truck's door window Ralph shook his head a cigarette dangling out of the corner of his mouth.

"What in hell are you doing on the roads tonight?" Ralph asked.

He knew Kaye loved a bargain and was a shrewd shopper.

“There is a soup special on at the dollar store, midnight madness or something that would make you risk your life traveling on the roads tonight?" Ralph asked.

Ralph was not quite done. Kaye knew the scolding had not ended, but interrupted him as she put up her mittened hand.

"Okay Ralph; yes, very funny." She waved her hand to fan the cigarette smoke away from her face. "I know Ralph. It's a silly thing to do." She looked up and gave Ralph the look.

"I have a dog in my Jeep and he's in rough shape. I’m taking him to the clinic in town. So are you going to get this thing down," Kaye pointed to the wing of the plow. "or are we going to have another spat?" Kaye asked.

Ralph knew all too well the famous look that struck fear in most men that received it, but it didn't affect him very much his Violet's look was much deadlier. He chuckled at Kaye.

"Whose dog is it, Kaye?" Ralph asked.

“I have no idea Ralph. He wandered down the road and into my driveway I really don't know if he will make it, but I have to try." Kaye said.

“So, you're out on a night like this risking your life for a stranger's dog, that might make it?” He shook his head.

“You're a nice lady Kaye. I don't care what anyone says about you," Ralph said. He chuckled as he tossed his cigarette into the snow.

She looked up at him and Kaye scowled again.

"I know I have no business on this road tonight. I think we have covered that, but I’m here now and you're here, so let's get things moving." Kaye barked up at him like a Gunnery Sargent given out orders to be followed. Ralph looked down at Kaye he loved her take-charge attitude.

"Alright... alright Mrs. Smith, But it's harder to plow with my door open." Ralph said as he swung his legs back on the peddles of the truck. With that, Kaye slammed the cab door shut returning to her vehicle. She smiled to herself, “Yes! There is a God.” Kaye said.

Ralph smiled too, shook his head as he watched her walk back to her car. He waited for her to get in. He kept the wing of the plow up until he passed her vehicle and looked in the side mirrors making sure Kaye was mobile again. He continued and then dropped the wing once again, sending the snow flying off the roadway making a path for Kaye. It was slow going following Ralph, but she knew where her side of the road was and glad he was here tonight.

Kaye saw the clinic sign still lit. Ralph slowed the truck down and went through the clinic's large parking lot clearing the yard for Kaye's vehicle then went back on the road once again. Ralph sounded the air horn in a goodbye. Kaye watched Ralph continue down the road, as she got out of the car.

He's getting an Apple Pie. Kaye thought. She got out of the car. The light started to go out inside the clinic. A woman was there with her keys out ready to lock up but stopped. As she was getting out of her car, she saw the light had just gone out in the Clinic.

"Kaye, what on earth are you doing out in this?" A voice called out through the blowing snow. It was Barb Miler, Mike Jonah's partner. She moved to the area after finishing her degree in veterinarian medicine. She was about Kaye's age and they got along really well. They just seemed to click and Kaye enjoyed having her over when Barb found the time.

"I need a huge favour Barb. Mike is not in I take it." Kaye asked.

"No Kaye, he's away until after Christmas, what do you need?" Barb asked.

"A miracle I think Barb." Kaye replied.

Kaye opened the door on the SUV and pulled a limp dog from the car. She closed the Jeep's door using her hip. Barb almost went over to help but saw she had things pretty much under control.

"I guess you will want me to open up again?" Barb said. Barb turned around opened the clinic door and flicked on the lights. She held the door open, as Kaye brought Billy cautiously through the doorway.

"What do we have here? " Barb asked. She looked the dog over as Kaye passed her leading the way into the examination room. "A Border Collie" Kaye said as she laid Billy on the table.

"It was a Border Collie," Barb responded "Poor thing."

Barb looked Billy over carefully as she put on a pair of surgical gloves, she talked aloud, "Bad infection starting." Billy coughed, she took her stethoscope and listened to his heart and lungs, took his temperature. She was not talking to Kaye, not talking to anyone, in particular, she just continued her examination of the dog. Barb began to remove Billy's collar. As she undid it, Billy let out a series of whines and tried to get up, but was unable to gain his footing on the stainless steel examination table. Barb held him down soothing and patting his head while whispering,

“It's okay fella, there now, there, you just relax and let me look you over." Barb said

Barb continued her examination “His neck muscle may have damage, that is a deep bite. Barb's hands ran over his legs and the dog flinched. Something's going on with his left rear leg, sprain maybe or possible fracture.” She felt down the other legs. “Bad puncture wounds, teeth I suspect." She turned around to Kaye. “Poor thing has been attacked by something another dog maybe really hard to tell trough all that hair.” Barb said.

She turned back to the dog. Barb's hands went over the side where he had been kicked by Sammy. She started feeling his rib cage. When she pressed in with her fingers, Billy began trying to get up again and let out another whine louder this time. The dog's soaked hair was still defrosting leaving a trail of muddy water dripping from the examination table onto the floor. Barb whispered again, patted his head and stopped the examination.

“Hand me one of those towels please Kaye.” Barb asked. She began wiping the animal down with it. Then once again returned to her examination of the dog. "Possible broken ribs as well."

"Well, he has really had a bad few days by the look of him, Kaye. I would love to have who ever did this in front of me for a couple of hours. I hate to see animals abused like this. Barb stopped talking, just wanted to get to the next phase knowing Kay would not want any part of it.

“I'm going to put him down, Kaye." Barb said.

She went to the dispensary cupboard and unlocked the door. She took a couple of syringes and held two small bottles in her hand before turning around. "I don't want you to do that Barb," Kaye said shaking her head. “That's not why I came here.”

Under different circumstances, Barb would have talked to the dog's owner after going over options. Normally euthanasia would be the last resort. But this was different, the dog wasn't Kaye's and she knew their funds were limited.

"I'm not going to charge you, consider, it a gift if you like. It should be done, the little guy is in a lot of pain." Barb turned and smiled kindly. "It's for the best. I hate doing it. We just can't let him lay here like this."

Kaye walked over to the table where Billy lay. She knew Barb was right. The dog looked in her eyes, his tail wagged again as she ran her hand along the dog's forehead. Kaye lifted his head, Billy licked her hand softly a few times and whimpered and tried to get to his feet. She bent over him picking a few of the hitchhikers from his coat. Looked into his brown eyes her finger ran over the top of his muzzle. She whispered to him “It will be okay sweetie.” She turned toward her friend.

"I don't want you to put him to sleep. I want you to help him, give him something for the pain. If it's about the money, or me not paying you, I'll find a way to pay.” Kaye said.

Barb needed to talk to Kaye not just as a friend but as a professional. She knew Kaye and figured this was coming when she first began to inspect the dog. Barb had met Kaye on her farm about three years ago when she first came to town. It turned out they were from the same city and even knew a few of the same friends and just hit it off. She was in awe of Kaye giving up her career to be a farmer's wife. There was nothing wrong with being that, but Kaye was so smart and gifted she would have done very well for herself had she continued her career. Barb also knew that her stubborn streak matched her IQ and the next few minutes were about to turn ugly.

"Kaye Smith,” Barb began. "This poor thing is just about dead already." Barb counted with her fingers as she named off the dogs issues. "He needs stitches to his neck. There is a real good chance his leg is fractured. The puncture wounds, God knows how much blood he has lost. He has cracked ribs. Has an infection, pneumonia and his feet are cut all to hell and not to mention the frostbite in them. Now I'll let that sink in that pretty little head of yours." Kaye held her hand up as if directing traffic, and her words shaped clearly and very precise.

"I know Barb, but I can't let you do that. I can't let you just do that. I want you to help him. I know he's not mine, I do have a moral responsibility. He's not mine, or yours to be just put down either. He should be at least given the chance. Just do whatever you need to do.” Kaye pointed at the dog as she was speaking to the vet and not her friend.

“I can pay the damn bill if that's what is bothering you, just do it. Do something, Okay? I do have money you know. You have to try at least… please, Barb... just try, it's all I'm asking? I'll let that sink in your pretty little head."

Barb closed her eyes and sighed, “For Christ's sakes! I am trying to help him, trying to help you. You're looking at 400 maybe 500 dollars maybe more, and he's not your damn dog. Just let me do the right thing here, Kaye." Barb said.

The right thing again echoed in Kaye's mind. The same right thing that she had argued with Ed about at home, when the dog was shivering in her dooryard, it irritated her more than a little.

"He needs your help Barb, just see what you can do, that’s all I am asking. Just do that for me, please." Kaye crossed her arms, gave Barb her meanest look. The debate was over and she knew the next person that spoke would loose. Barb was tired it had been a long day and for some reason her friend was getting the blunt of her days frustrations. But she was also trying to look out for someone she considered as family. Barb looked down at the bottles and the two syringes in her hands.

"Okay, Kaye… Okay. Fine, I give up, but I can tell you one thing. He needs more than that miracle you mentioned when you came through the door tonight. Maybe more help than I can give him. But I will do my best, I promise." Barb said.

She took in a deep breath, slowly exhaled she turned placing the bottles and syringes back in the cupboard.

“ Kaye.” Barb said turning, that was mean and uncalled for. I know you would pay. I never thought otherwise, money is tight right now for you, hell everyone around the area has it tough, and you sure as hell don't need this tacked on to your Christmas. By the way save that look of yours for your husband, because it sure as hell doesn't scare me, Kaye.” Barb said.

“Your right, I'm sorry, things are tight for us right now. I take it back Barb. It was mean of me. You have always been a great friend. You have always been there for me when I needed you. I know you would never think that I am just tired I guess. Everything has hit us all at once. The feed, the repairs, taxes, and they all want it 30 days ago. I know I can't fix all the wrongs in the world, but I have to try and fix this one, there is a reason he came into my yard. There has to be a reason for him finding me. I just feel it.” Kaye said.

She turned looked at the collie lying on the examination table. Billy was looking in her eyes. Kaye rubbed Billy's side.

“Just see what you can do Barb, there's something special about this little guy. He has a lot of heart and needs a friend. I know somewhere out there he must have had a good home, an owner that is looking for him and if I can help I am going to." Kaye said.

She was glad the standoff with Barb was now over. She hadn’t enjoyed the argument that had just taken place with her best friend. But regardless, there was no way anyone was going to put any dog down just because it was not theirs, not Barb nor Ed would have been able to move her on the matter. Barb was still a little ticked with Kaye for not taking good advice. She would have regretted the euthanasia, but she new Kaye's financial situation right now too. Farmers had it tough all over and this vet bill. Well, Kaye was Kaye and Barb had known before she started, she was going to lose the argument. Kaye would find the money somewhere. The clinic was hurting as well. Everyone was being affected by the recession that seemed to have lasted far longer than any of the financial analysts had predicted three years ago. The outbreak of mad cow disease all but destroyed beef sales. “What can I do to help?” Kaye asked.

“I just need to be alone with our little friend here, if I need you I will give you a call. Why don't you make some tea and relax in the waiting room. Kaye, I'm going to be a while” Barb said. Kaye smiled at Barb touched her arm.

“Thank you.” Kaye said.

As she was leaving the examination room, Kaye stopped turned. “Barb my look... it didn't bother you... scare you?“ Kaye asked.

Barb shook her head. “Not one damn bit; so save it for your husband, not your friends. Now make us some tea and let me get to work here, I would like to go home at some point this evening.” Barb said.

“I'll have to work on that, I guess.” Kaye said., as she left the room.

Billy had been watching Kaye's every move as if saying, please stay with me, don't go. Kaye winked at him as she closed the door softly behind her. Barb turned back to Billy and smiled at him. She ran her hand over Billy's head. Her fingers combed through the little collie's soft hair around his ears.

“You have a good friend there, dog. You had better be worth it, that's all I can say.” Barb said

She went back to the cupboard, took another syringe but a different vial. This time, she filled the needle with the amount she wanted, walked back to the dog, parted the hair on the dog's hind leg, wiped it with alcohol and gave the dog the needle.

“There now you just sleep and I will try and fix you up," Barb said. The end of the dog's tail moved a little, he felt a prick in his hind leg, then slowly faded off to sleep.

Published 
Written by aidan
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments