Find your next favourite story now
Login

G
Avatars

"analyzing avatars"

6
6 Comments 6
1.5k Views 1.5k
850 words 850 words
As I have perused the profile pages of our membership I have often wondered why people have chosen to use the pseudonyms and pictures they have decided on.

So I have decided to do an analysis of this phenomenon. To be fair, I shall begin with my own.

Rascal

I chose this alias because this is probably the tamest of the considerable number of names I have been addressed by, many of which I can't put down in a social site of such prominence as this. Suffice it to say many of them were not complimentary, even if true.

The picture I chose, those cute adorable puppies, I admit has very little to do with my persona. Some time in the past someone told me that to meet women, carry a puppy, works every time. That is a complete canard. I haven't had a single comment on them. Maybe women have figured out the puppy gambit and no longer fall for it.

Am I cute? Unfortunately, no. Adorable? The closest I could come to that is when one of my one year old great granddaughters will smile at me as long as I'm not directly facing her. Or maybe she has gas.

I do have brown eyes and so do the puppies, even if theirs do show more intelligence.

DirtyMartini

This seems to be an apt name and picture. He admits that he tipples and certainly this picture is more appealing than his actual one. As an avatar it seems quite apt as he seems to be a bon vivant type of chap. I have picked this fellow for an important warning message I have for him.

Have you no sense of your mortality, sir? Don't you realize the ingredients you have in your glass can be quite deleterious to your health? You must replace those salt infused olives with an onion immediately! I'm sorry that I have to be so harsh, but it's for your own good. Think of your blood pressure!

Magnificent1rascal

Hah! Possibly this should be changed to maleficent one. Have you seen the Editors Pick awards she's hoarding on her stories? There are other authors here that are her equal in skill, although I know of none that surpass hers, and I fully admit that she deserved them, but I know of one male author on here that I think deserves one, too.

Cute picture though. A charming raccoon. I'm sure you know that raccoons are notorious thieves, don't you? Well, 'nough said.

El Chupacabras

Seems a odd picture to choose. Why would on want to be pictured with half of you a horses' ass? I don't know if this is to convey a hidden message. No accounting for taste.

Do you know that a chupacabra is a supposedly mythical animal? There have been reports of sightings though. They are mean, bloodthirsty beasts, by all accounts. If this is a true characterization of this member I glad he's way down there in South America. You members that are down there should maybe be careful.

ranting senior

Another appealing picture, a cute little honey bee. As an ex beekeeper I can give you some important information about them. They are very beneficial little creatures, it's true, and can be cute when pollinating your rose bushes and vegetables as is this member when he submits his witty stories and poems But I'm warning you, when you threaten their home or livelihood they can be malicious little devils. I'm not saying this member is malicious, but why would he choose this picture? Hmm

The name gives me pause for thought. Ranting? The dictionary says “ to speak or declaim violently.”

When combined with what I have told you about bees, could it be he is hiding an affinity for violence if threatened?

Nicola

Ah, the mysterious one, the originator of this site, I believe. She gives one very little information to make a judgment as to why she would choose an ancient male name, although it is now used by both sexes. Could it be her actual name?

The picture again conveys mystery, the lurking black cat, the image of the dark areas of life, silently stalking. Better I don't conjecture too deeply. I may call a curse down upon myself, such as being banned from this site.

Gypsymoth

What a beautiful picture, a serene pond showing the reflection of wonderful summer sky. Does this depict the anima of the member? By her poetry it seems that one could assume that, but her stories elicit a more varied picture, from the sweet to the supernatural examination of death itself.

The name again brings in competing views, from a pretty little soft insect, to a ravening plague that has defoliated huge areas of woodland. What are we to think of this?

Oh my, I just realized how tremendous a job I've taken on. As I was analyzing these few members avatars even more people joined. At this rate it's impossible for me to finish. I'll have to rest and think about this, and maybe narrow the field somehow. Any thoughts?

Published 
Written by Rascal
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments