Find your next favourite story now
Login

G
My Worldly Travels

"Really!! Just climb into the front seat?... You have got to be kidding me."

7
8 Comments 8
1.1k Views 1.1k
1.0k words 1.0k words

My Worldly Travels

My adventure starts here

Ohio, here I come....

My friends from our Army days were going to Ohio to visit family. Roger and Sandy went home several times a year and asked if I would like to make the trip with them as my hubby was overseas. I love traveling so of course I jumped at the idea. Off we went in their station wagon, loaded down with snacks and sodas, since Roger would only stop for gas and potty .

Things were going well. I was sitting in the back seat, Sandy in the front seat with Roger, we were laughing, talking on the CB radio and just enjoying life. It was getting late when Sandy decided she wanted to lay down in the back. Even though she was hefty and only 5'1", she just scooted right over the back of the seat. Good thing we gals were wearing jeans. She told me to go ahead, sit in front so I could talk on the radio. I was thinking, Roger is surely going to stop so I can do this, but he said, "Just climb over the seat, Cheryl."

"Really!! Just climb into the front seat?... You have got to be kidding me," I retorted.

Before I go any further I have to tell you a little about myself. I am 6'1" tall, weighed over 350 pounds at that time (thank the Lord I lost 217 of those), and could not see how in the world I was going to accomplish changing seats. It was all I could do to move out of my girlfriend's way, much less get where I could climb over the seat.

Being I am one that never says die, I started the process by turning around backwards. Then I slid my left leg over the seat, was ready to start the right one over when a deer ran in front of the car. Roger swerved, we were all over the road and I fell forward, my right leg caught on Roger's neck. My behind fell in between the dash and seat. I was stuck and couldn't move. 

"Cheryl, move your stupid leg, you're killing me!" Rog screamed.

"I am stuck!" I hollered back.

"What is stuck?"

"I can't move my behind because I am wedged in the crack!"

"Get your leg from around my neck," he yelled, "you're choking me!"

We were all laughing so hard I couldn't breathe but was finally able to gasp, "Tilt your head to the side and maybe I can get my leg free."

Finally after much ado, I got myself free and managed to sit up in the seat. We were still laughing when all a sudden we heard voices. It was then that we realized everyone on the CB was trying to find out where we were, what was happening to me and did I need help. We all stared at the radio. I had keyed the mic when I fell and the world had heard it all.
Truckers going east and west bound were asking, "Where is she? Honey, do you need help? Lil gal, are you all right? Do we need to call for help, the State boys or medical help?"

This only made us laugh harder and then Rog said, “Cheryl, tell them you are OK.”

“No way am I getting on that radio."

“They're worried, Cheryl — tell them you are alright.”

I pick up the mic, keyed it and said, "Breaker-Breaker, this is Lil Stinker" — that was my CB handle, but that is another story for another time — "and I am fine."

Of course by then they were all talking on top of each other wanting to know what happened, so I told them the whole story and they cracked up.

Several truckers asked which direction we were headed. I said eastbound and a couple of them said they were westbound but if I would stop at the next truck stop, they would turn around. They wanted to meet this person I had told them I was. One of the guys said, "No way with that sexy voice you weigh 350."

"Oh, but I do," I replied. "I just have that sweet, southern sound, as I am from Arkansas."

After much chatter we decide to stop at the next truck stop, so we got off the Interstate. Five or six drivers were there waiting and we all went in for coffee. Surprisingly each one had a different reaction to what they heard or thought they heard. A couple thought I was being attacked, another thought my husband/boyfriend was beating on me and I was in real danger, others thought I was having a lot of fun, but each one wanted to find out what was really going on and to see if I really did look like what I had described earlier.

I was totally surprised at some of their thoughts, especially when a couple of them thought things that I could never talk about in mixed company.

We all were laughing so hard it was hard to talk and people were looking at us like we must be drunk or crazy or both.

We soon parted ways but I talked with a couple of them for several years as they passed on I-70 through Kansas where we lived at that time. My husband, Mike, was stationed at Fort Riley. (He was active duty Army for 33 1/2 years.)

Many times over the years, we would meet them for coffee late at night. They were awesome guys. We also met several wives who traveled with their husbands.

Sometimes the nicest memories just happen for no rhyme or reason and they turn out to be ones you can never forget. So, thanks fellows for being out there, for caring and being such great folks. You brought a lot of joy into my and my hubby's life. We came to love the CB and all our late night friends. Like our computer friends, we may never meet but we have shared plenty and have meant a lot to each other...

Published 
Written by Cheryl
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments