Find your next favourite story now
Login

G
Anniversary

"A couple celebrates their wedding anniversary with a surprise."

1
1 Comment 1
1.5k Views 1.5k
793 words 793 words
Competition Entry: Stories Space Anniversary
I woke up on a bright Saturday morning to the birds chirping and the sun shining in my face. Today is our wedding anniversary and I have something to tell my husband of one year. My gift to him is one he’ll never expect. I look up and see my husband carrying a tray with food for two into the bedroom.

“Happy Anniversary, babe,” Jayson, my husband, says to me.

“Happy Anniversary, darling,” I respond, kissing him.

“I have a surprise for you later on tonight. I’m going to start with giving you breakfast in bed: Greek omelet with feta cheese, turkey bacon and cranberry juice.”

“MMMMM, thanks, honey.”

“You’re welcome.”

“I have something for you later on tonight as well.”

“I can’t have it now?”

“No. you get it when you give me my surprise, Jay.”

“Alright. There’s breakfast for the both of us, coffee for me.”

I said a prayer before we ate, and I can’t believe that we started off as roommates two years ago. The next thing I knew, we became live-in lovers to having a quickie wedding at city hall, followed by a three-week extended honeymoon in the Bahamas. I moved into Jayson’s two-story ranch home in the Chicago suburbs, and left the condo for use as his office. I began freelancing as a writer part-time so I can stay at home and help Jayson expand his business. So far, it’s expanded from designing websites to photography to shooting video for local bands to post on their sites and social networking sites.

After breakfast, we packed an overnight bag and took a trip to a resort in Wisconsin. Our room was a honeymoon suite; complete with a California king size bed, whirlpool bath tub, double-head shower, and champagne on ice. I was tired from the drive, but Jayson had plans in store for me. We explored the town and ate dinner at a little restaurant. After dinner, we went to a dance hall to mingle with the locals there. A song came on and Jayson asked me to dance. I couldn’t resist his schoolboy charm. Nestled in his arms, we danced to slow tune after slow tune. I looked up at him; he looked down at me, and smiled at each other. “Let’s go back to the suite. I believe we have something to give each other.”

Not wanting to leave, we headed back to the inn. We got to the door of the suite when Jayson picked me up in his arms and carried me over the threshold. Putting me down, I was able to look in the overnight bag for my satchel that had his gift in there. Taking the satchel into the bathroom, I changed out of my clothes and put on a pink satin number Jayson hasn’t seen me in before. I bought it for Valentine’s Day to wear, but he ended up with the flu and I was expecting a bundle of joy. I miscarried at work six weeks later. This time, I get to tell him that I’m with child. I came out of the bathroom, and Jayson had a smile on his face. “Happy anniversary, Jayson,” I say to him as I climbed in the bed next to him.

“Happy anniversary to you too, Mon Cherie,” he replied, kissing me on the lips. Jayson pulled out a ring box and gave it to me. I opened it, and it was my engagement ring. With tears in my eyes, I said, “Oh, Jayson. This is wonderful. Thank you.”

“I had it resized and the stone replaced. The last one was hideous, but you loved it anyway. May I do the honors?”

“Yes, you may,” I answered, and he placed the ring on my finger in the same manner he did the night he proposed to me.

“I have something for you, too. I wanted to tell you yesterday, but we also have something to tell you. I’m expecting.”

Jayson pulled me close and kissed me. “Sharon, this is the best news ever. First the business expands, now a baby on the way. How soon will our child come into the world?”

“The doctor says sometime around Thanksgiving. The first week after you recovered fully from the flu was when it happened. We have to start decorating and getting everything together.”

Putting his hand on my abdomen, Jayson says, “We will, Ebony Girl. First, I want to enjoy the rest of this weekend with you and our child. We’ll get started on everything on Monday.”

“What can top this anniversary?”

“I don’t know. Guess we’ll have to see what the future has in store for us.”

Published 
Written by ladysharon
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments