Find your next favourite story now
Login

G
Ancient

8
10 Comments 10
1.2k Views 1.2k
383 words 383 words
"I am old," said the sea. "I have been here for millions of years."

The mountain rumbled, "I am older than you. Before you, there was me."

"Ha!" laughed the star. "It is I who am oldest. All time has been lost for me."

"But I was the bringer of life," said the sea. "Without me your lands would be but arid wastelands. Useless and uninhabitable."

"And I am the sustainer of life," roared the mountain. "It is I who cradles your shores. It is I who provides the sustenance of mankind. It is I who provides the ships that sail your seas."

"All true," whispered the star. "Each of you has been around a long time. Each of you played your roles in all you have said. But.." the star said softly, "it was I who watched you being born. It was I who guided your ships across your seas. It was I who was worshipped and praised by mankind and held in the company of gods."

"I have been around since the beginning of time. I died before each of you was born. Yet my light still holds forth. The life you have given looks to me to light their paths, to offer hope, to dream of greater things."

Then the star wept softly as it said, "Without me there would be only darkness and the emptiness that comes from loneliness. Without me there would be no love."

The sea moaned, "Your light reflects on me. I will keep love alive."

The mountain shook as it spoke. "I am highest. Your light reaches me first. I will keep love alive."

"Sadly," cried the star, "neither of you has a heart. Only a heart can keep love alive. Only a heart can see the light coming from a long dead star."

"That," she said turning over to face me, "is the worst story I ever heard." I brushed the hair back from her face and kissed her softly. She giggled and said, "You are losing it old man! Where do you get this stuff from?"

I laid back on my pillow in the darkened room. "Well," I sighed, "I've been around a long time."

She was quiet, then I felt her hand on mine as she whispered, "I still see your light."

Published 
Written by Dreamcatcher
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments