Find your next favourite story now
Login

13+
Distortion

"Our eyes can be deceptive when viewing oneself"

3
4 Comments 4
678 Views 678
209 words 209 words

I have been at war with my body for as long as I can remember. My mind always asking the body, "Why can't you just be what I want?" and my body asking, "Why can't you love me as I am?"

If this was a relationship between two people, it would be seen as abusive. The endless diets, overexercising, pills, corsets, and body wraps is my punishment for the reflection in the mirror. Only to cry tears of sadness, to have a mind riddled with failure, a body injured.

Avoiding mirrors and taking pictures like some kind of shameful creature. The soul asks,"Do you not see the love in your eyes?  Or the amazing power in our heart? Or the beauty in the curve of your hip? Or the strength in your muscles? Do you not have gratitude for the ease that your body moves through the world? Are you listening to yourself?"

A reclamation of the body is not enough. The mind and soul must join the body as one. It takes many deaths to kill what we've been told to believe. It takes many deaths to reclaim what was taken from our innocence. It takes many deaths to simply be who we came here to be.

 

 

 

Published 
Written by Gypsygyrl
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments