Find your next favourite story now
Login

G
On Falling

5
7 Comments 7
1.3k Views 1.3k
363 words 363 words
The toddler falls, but he's made of rubber and bounces back up and learns, even if he cries.

The tree falls and a new and stronger one grows in its place. A hawk flies at a dove, which is overwhelmed by fear and falls, and falling saves the dove's life. When the sun falls, rain falls, a leaf falls, the temperature falls, it's all part of the balance of everything. Nature is in endless cycles of rising and falling, like breathing.

I dream of falling and fear terrifies me into waking up.

There's a scattered way that things fall, not exactly random, but within a pattern of sorts.

I work extra hard so I don't fall. The stock market falls and everything gets so difficult. The man falls out the window because he lost everything. I wonder if he found anything at the bottom. I don't want to find out for myself. The man who doesn't fall out the window, falls from grace and changes. That's the humbling way adults fall, except when they fall in love, then pride doesn't matter anymore.

"I saw Satan fall as lightning," the Kaaba stone, and the center of the Temple of Diana in Turkey, which was one of the seven wonders of the ancient world, are all ancient references to falling stars that religion obsessed upon. That's how gods fall.

I have a handsome and rich friend who has spent most of his life in ivy league schools. If it weren't for his misfortunes, we would never have met. I could build a temple around my stellar friend to worship him, because he's not from my world. There's something very intriguing about something way up there, that is now down here. I touched a moon rock once.

When an old person falls they break something. Sometimes they fall because something broke. If the gray haired ones weren't fragile, they would work until they die. They would never get their day of rest to sit and think of their lives, before the step into the eternal world. I don't know if the dying fall, but the fear of death and falling are similar, until you pass through.

Published 
Written by fallingdove
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments