Find your next favourite story now
Login

G
Once More Unto the Breach

"Stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood"

19
18 Comments 18
1.4k Views 1.4k
582 words 582 words

One journey came to an end today. Just a short trip out and away. Getting some time to myself and smelling the desert air. I arrived home after a ten-hour drive from Abilene, Texas.

 

I do miss the feeling of the desert where I grew up. It has never seemed lifeless and barren as some would have you believe. It is full of growth, of hope, and of redemption.

 

I'm home now. Ready to begin again. The fight continues.

 

As I recounted here last year, my body has been dropping the ball. I've had to have two parts removed. My prostate in February and one of my kidneys in August. That should have been the end of it. But it's not. In the past two months, I've discovered that the renal cancer has returned. It has invaded some lymph nodes.

 

We've finally laid down the plan of battle. I will be learning how I will proceed to fight this on Tuesday of this week. But before that happened I just wanted to get away. I took myself off, all alone, and went down into the Chihuahua desert of south New Mexico and western Texas.

 

I spent some time walking near Carlsbad Caverns National Park. I didn't go underground. Not interested in that this time. I just wanted to feel the land and its imprint on me. I moved on into the Guadalupe Mountains and stopped at the national park there. So many butterflies were spinning around in the air. There were a few remaining flowers to tempt them this October.

 

I'm still learning the names of plants. I've seen so many but never knew what they were called. Saw some sotols this time, as well as some Apache plumes. The Texas Madrone tree was wonderful to look at there along an intermittent stream bed. And the air was clean and clear. One could see a far distance while gazing up at the Capitan Reef rising up to the west.

 

Tuesday we have a training session. My wife and I along with the team put together to help me on this new journey. The two of us will learn how we are to handle this battle. It's good to know I have her help. The chemotherapy begins on Friday.

 

My sister will be coming up to give some aid and comfort soon. I'm still in rehearsals for a play in December. I'm dancing in The Nutcracker: A Kansas Ballet. At least, I hope to keep rehearsing. I've tried to schedule the chemo in such a manner that I can still do the play as well as continue my ballet lessons on Thursdays.

 

We'll see if I can maintain that. I haven't a clue how hard this fight is going to be. I just know that I have help with it. I'm not alone. My wife of thirty-four years is here for me. My sister will try to be of help.

 

Isn't it always the case that the ladies, may peace be unto them, are always the ones to take charge and keep the fight going for as long as they can. I do want to let them all know that I will surely need their help. And I will cherish it for as long as I can do so.

 

Anyway, please know I appreciate all the love that has come my way. I will return it as I much as I am able.

 

So, once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more.

 

 

 

Published 
Written by Survivor
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments