Find your next favourite story now
Login

G
Shaving

4
3 Comments 3
1.1k Views 1.1k
957 words 957 words
I inspired myself. It was so weird, looking at a forum topic, named “what’s your passion?” And being inspired by it.

Well, I shall tell you my passion: Shaving. I know it doesn’t seem like it, when my face is all fuzzy, but I do enjoy a good shave. Usually, I like to keep a wee goatee and shave the rest. I also shave other parts of me, but you don’t really need to know that, so forget I said that.

What could impassion me about shaving? A lot of men find it a chore, but I like it. I’m currently letting my facial hair grow for the winter. Keeps the moosh nice and warm, you see. I like everything about it. I shave traditionally with a double edged safety razor (DE, from here on out).

I picked one up at random one day, and never looked back. My first one was a really cheap Wilkinson Sword one. It came in two pieces, was mostly plastic and gave a really close shave. The only thing about it was that it was flimsy. I had to be careful when tightening it, so that it didn’t break. Unfortunately, that’s what happened one day. I tightened it too much and the thread that keeps the blade in broke, rendering it totally useless.

During my time with this razor, I used shaving gel from a can. Nasty stuff, I found, so I looked into other alternatives. I didn’t really find that there was anything that suited me, but I did find my favourite blades - Merkur Silver Platinum. They’re made in Germany and are stainless steel coated with platinum. They just work for my skin.

After my Wilkinson Sword razor broke, I went on a research kick. I drove myself and everyone around me nuts. Eventually, I settled on a one-piece Timor razor, with a swing top - imagine a DeLorean, the way the doors open, that’s how my razor opens. It’s too damned cool! It worked a charm, but the first thing I noticed, was that it wasn’t as keen as the Wilkinson Sword. This triggered more research, but this time into shaving lubricants.

I used shaving soap, combined with a cheap, synthetic bristled brush. It worked well for me, until I discovered shaving cream. Not the canned stuff, though. Remember I said I don’t like that? My skin hates it! I believe it’s the propellants in it. I found Palmolive shaving cream worked really well, but then it started to dry my skin out. More research, then.

I can’t remember the brand, but I wound up with some really nice shaving cream, scented with sandalwood. Combined with a badger haired shaving brush, it’s just luxurious. Now that I’ve tried a badger brush, I won’t ever go back to a synthetic one.

I don’t know how badger brushes are made, and it seems a lot of people don’t know, either, but I do know that I love the softness and the lather you get from them. I don’t see it as a waste of an animal or cruel because I’m using the animal. If it was just killed and left alone, yeah, that would be a waste, but the fact that it is used for something useful, that’s okay.

Anyway, I sort of speared off in another direction there. So, I’ve got my equipment: DE razor equipped with a Merkur blade, badger haired shaving brush, sandalwood shaving cream and a magnifying mirror. The magnification is essential for precision.

The next thing that I need is the shower. I leave it running, so that the steam rises and opens my pores. Whilst that’s going on, I work up a really good lather with my brush and cream. I then put the brush down and wash my face, getting it all nice and wet, then I lather up with the brush. By this time, my mirror is somewhat steamy, so I clean it, then grab my razor.

Slowly and carefully, I drag the razor across my face. I feel the hair being removed. I listen as it makes its soft scratching noise, then sluice the razor. I take another drag and watch as my face becomes almost virgin again. I smell my shaving cream and a feeling of calm comes down as I drink the scent in. I never shave against the grain, that hurts and opens the face up to infected hair follicles, razor burn, cuts and stuff like that. Always with the grain. I feel my face with my hands, and then shave again, if need be.

I take my shaving as seriously as I take my tea, and you know how seriously I take that. There’s just something wonderful about the feeling of a nice, clean face.

When my brother starts shaving, I’m going to teach him how to do it properly. I never learned from my dad. Well, I sort of did. I learned how not to do it, as is the way I’ve learned a lot of things from him, sadly. There is one thing you’ll never catch me using, though: An open razor (aka cut-throat) or a shavette (disposable open razor). I’m not manly or brave enough for that, and I don’t trust myself with it. I’ll stick to the relative safety of the DE, thanks. I may, at some point, get a proper open razor shave from a professional.

Oh, I forget to mention! I got 55 razor blades for £20. That’s pretty damned good, and shall keep me going for a while.

Kittylove
Andrew =^.^=
Published 
Written by Circle_Something
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments