Find your next favourite story now
Login

Musings Stories

Our Musings category focuses on speculation, reflection and deep thought, covering everything from self-contemplation to humorous views on life in general.

This is the place to submit your thoughts on spiritual matters or philosophical subjects and to share your feelings on any topics you’ve ever pondered or wondered about.

From the larder of my portmanteau. I address the coming of the beast. Rocking the wooden horse, wearing shoe lifts from Abercrombie & Fitch. Beating a brass spittoon with a gewgaw in the asylum of my mind's cabaret. Scratching at my feet of raven clay, ta...

Score 0 0
0
77 Views 77
157 words 157 words

I had a dream last night. It was a silly dream about a class reunion. I couldn’t remember my classmates' names and they were trying to make me guess. I went to get my yearbook to help me. I remembered all the classmates who had died and I thought for a mo...

Score 4 4
5
115 Views 115
116 words 116 words

Geez, I Wonder Why

Snowmobiling for gullible dummies…

“You know the trails? You have GPS?” Done and done. On that fateful day, I broke one of my cardinal rules: Do Not Ride With Strangers. But we were new to the area. He wasn’t. He had GPS. We didn’t. Sure, just like everyone else, my iPhone had Google Maps....

Score 5 5
2
173 Views 173
1.5k words 1.5k words

In the lazy daze days of Junebugs, swinging on an old used tire hanging from a tree. The dust would kick up from the dried red clay. The Peanut Man would come along, singing something about, "Old fools..." My shoestrings were full of knots, but I paid it...

Score 2 2
2
85 Views 85
134 words 134 words

On boulevards of broken dreams where the sidewalk ends touched again by memories only to end as a fantasy with a broken heart and wrinkle nose from the incense, I suppose, knowing how this symphony ends on boulevards of broken dreams

Score 0 0
0
97 Views 97
41 words 41 words

Evermore forever the rainbow no darkness between my feet only the sun and memories to rejoice your voice from crimson fields of your lips and mascara shade of your smile beneath the willows of butterflies dreaming

Score 0 0
0
186 Views 186
36 words 36 words

Solar whoa

When the lights go out

Our power went out this morning. We received a text from a friend asking if we had power. No, ours is off. The friend said his went off mid-perk on the coffee pot. I said to my husband, "he has gone solar; how is he out?" My husband asked, getting the rep...

Score 3 3
2
106 Views 106
61 words 61 words

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Brother Sun And Sister Moon

The elusive effect the Sun and Moon has on our lives

Oh brother Sun your radiant rays, they warm and cheer in many ways, to brown the skin and strengthen bone, our bodies crave for you alone. We need to see you in the sky to reassure us hope is there, when clouds hide you we do despair. Your essence is a po...

Score 4 4
3
142 Views 142
287 words 287 words

In comes the wind and Illuminati touching my skin sleeping naked in unadorned metaphors echoing serenity no time for gauchos or cowboys on the Pampas escaping the whispers of makers and takers and near-illiterate listening to the sounds as the coffee drip...

Score 3 3
2
148 Views 148
61 words 61 words

Staying Alive

Aging man reviews life's chances

Hospitals have always made me uneasy, and that was only when visiting. Now, here I was, a patient, and breathing easy. Not allowed to get up yet, though. They don’t half fuss over me. “You’re a special case, Mr Fuller,” the nurses keep saying. Doctors, wh...

Score 5 5
2
230 Views 230
2.0k words 2.0k words

So, I heard the news. It's not the best one to know but maybe the hardest to digest. I knew this would happen, just not this soon. Not now. I have built an invisible wall between us. I made it thick and strong. I ensured nothing will ever break it, not ev...

Score 3 3
4
230 Views 230
419 words 419 words

A silent promise Never to be told Eyes that stare In the winter morn As the winds sing A gospels prayer To feel your touch That I am not alone Learning each day And stronger than before To believe a little more

Score 4 4
4
269 Views 269
42 words 42 words

Magic is a smile Magic is a touch Magic is faith and birth The magic of love The magic of tomorrow The magic of forever and us Magic is believing To give things a chance Magic is everywhere It happens everyday When one starts to believe The more magic we...

Simply the Best

A rose is forever

Moving into our bungalow over thirty years ago we found that the front lawn had a variety of standard willow as a centre piece. For the first three years, the tree developed vigorously, its head getting wider and wider. No flowers, just musky green leaves...

Score 7 7
7
288 Views 288
532 words 532 words