Find your next favourite story now
Login

Recommended Reads

Stories and poems that have made it into our recommended reading section are hand picked by our staff. They have been identified as exceptional pieces of writing, which warrant separate recognition.

Stories that are part of a series, or novels that have made it into this outstanding series section, are nominated by our staff and awarded by a select panel. These stories have been deemed superior as complete works and have garnered special recognition.

You are almost certainly guaranteed a good read, if you've selected a story from these offerings!

Sketching Snowflakes

She was seeking something in the frigid flakes

Snow danced and swirled, driven across the lake by brisk winds. Jenn looked out her cabin’s window and sighed. She put more wood on the fire. The cabin was small enough that a wood stove was sufficient for heat. Sitting at a table by the window, Jenn leaf...

It may be fifty years since we got married, but it only seems like yesterday. Half a century has gone in the blink of an eye. Five decades of happiness and woes, triumphs and failures, laughter and tears. Memories come and go, but one day I will always re...

Long Game

I am returning to my animal nature.

My neighbors, I imagine, know me as that guy who stands in the middle of the street for no apparent reason. Is he okay? they probably wonder. Perhaps someone should call 911 Okay. It’s a little embarrassing, but I’ll take the hit Trees block our windows;...

Score 27 27
19
307 Views 307
364 words 364 words

I am running Running as fast as I can Heart pounding, lungs burning Scurrying through the undergrowth Frantically dodging and stepping I am frightened Oh, so frightened For they are close now So close Seeking me out But then Then there is a second A breat...

Score 18 18
16
306 Views 306
188 words 188 words

I think I get caught up in others To avoid my own reflection. When self-doubt and depression smothers I’m called for decompression. I think I get caught up while they swim in despair While tears fall steady and slow And not all moments should be shared Wh...

Score 13 13
13
290 Views 290
208 words 208 words

Unrequited

Young man hopes are inspired by sight of lovely lady

If I could write a poem, I’d celebrate her style How roses blush in envy, At the radiance of her smile. As I sit in awe, just watching Her form, aglow in silken white. Now she waits, in peace and loveliness For her chosen, loving knight If I could write a...

Score 26 26
18
276 Views 276
290 words 290 words

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

In exhausting dreams, There is no solace, no peace In unconsciousness, There is no escape; fears release Thoughts morph into demons, Stalking, Watching, Preying, Panic sets inAs courage weakensWalking, Running, Sprinting As claws dig into flesh No turning...

You may think me a friend From the moment I started But my wonderful gift You just took for granted You wish me away At times of great sorrow Put off from today The things for tomorrow With each passing moment The stronger I get Only when I’m gone Do you...

Impossible

Hopeless dreams

Imagine, If you can. A place where you can hide. Safety in anonymity, Rather than, Reveal yourself where you reside. Peace, Sought yet rarely found. Comes in the smallest doses. Like cat’s feet in grass, It comes with nary a sound. Just a click of the doo...

Score 25 25
20
315 Views 315
82 words 82 words

The Interview of Invocation and Invitation

As if Compassion were a Storefront with a Sign that says Inquire Within or Help Wanted. Every Being is dealing with more than you know. Be Kind Always.

Peace be upon you; And also with me - -- and all within me Imagine being many A pantheon of souls A galaxy born from a stray dream An idle thought turned semen seed and grown Expanding facets of self -- blossomed to full And flowered to flesh of mind Matu...

Consequences

Penny Lambert sat wallowing in misery after a serious road accident. If only it hadn't happened...

Penny Lambert sat in the darkest corner of the bar, nursing a glass of Orange juice. She checked her watch... again! Still only ten o'clock. She had never felt so lonely and miserable. In fact, the whole week had been miserable. Only one week before, she...

Score 12 12
15
2.7k Views 2.7k
3.0k words 3.0k words

Shot Through The Heart

Does the mysterious lady hold the key to cheating destiny?

At first I barely felt the bullet pierce the low-slung cocktail dress and enter my heart. It seemed impossible to consider death real, despite the warning minutes earlier from the mysterious lady with the black eye shadow alongside me. I always thought I'...

Save The Last Dance For Me

War is always full of surprises, but none quite like this one!

“Halt! Who goes?” “Relax, private. It’s Major Jessop.” “Password – Sir!” “Seriously? You know I’m your CO, right, Private Tyson?” “Yessir, I know – but I still need the password. Sir!” I smiled, “’In England's green and pleasant land,’” I quoted, “And wel...