Find your next favourite story now
Login

13+
Innocence - Chapter 4

"A story about a girl without memories from her past."

1
1 Comment 1
1.4k Views 1.4k
1.4k words 1.4k words
“We have to dare to be ourselves, however frightening or strange that self may prove to be.”

--May Sarton

It was typed-written on a buff-colored tissue paper. The other pieces have different passages too, but this one got me. The rain had finally died down, but I’m still waiting for Chloe inside a coffee shop near the meeting spot we had agreed to. A few minutes later, a black car stopped in front of the shop, rolled down the window at the back, and suddenly Chloe’s face appeared.

“Sorry, I dozed off.” She said. Then a man in a black tux swiftly got out from the front and opened the door where Chloe was. “Let’s go Sam. Hop in.” I did what she said. Then the man closed the door for me and sat back in front. The man on driver’s seat was also in a black tux, and black sunglasses.

“Charles will be late. He has a meeting he said.” She pouted. “Tasuki was not there when I ran off.”

“Tasuki?” I repeated.

“Oh yeah… the guy we’re meeting. I’m currently living in his house. He’s my childhood friend too. He is not that friendly, though. But he’s my--- and Charles’ close friend. So don’t worry about it. His name is actually pronounced ‘Taski’, but it spells ‘Tasuki’. Oh I’m not used to Japanese names anyway.” She chuckled as she looked at me.

“Why?” I found myself smiling too, and gave her a puzzled look. “What’s so funny?”

“I can’t believe you’re actually wearing that.” Still giggling. “It looks fun. I like it.”

I was wearing a plain black pair of leggings with not-so-tight denim short, white sneakers, plain green sweater, and pony-tailed my shoulder-length auburn hair. While she was wearing a dreamy vintage dress crafted in what I think was cotton featuring a round neckline with row edge, short puff sleeves, four buttons front plackets, a side invisible zip closure, a belt with tassels drawstring, multi-layered mesh skirt with blue mesh lining hemline and nude heels.

“Mine’s simple. I like yours.” I complimented.

“Just a casual…” she looked outside, fazed. “You had your hair cut…” She scanned my face. “It’s good--- Better.”

Could it be that Chloe wanted to be simple? May be even rich people have their own perplexity. I don’t know, but it felt like it. I could feel my face flushed, as I adjusted my eyeglasses.

The house was so big. A mansion, surrounded by tall gates, green lawn…but what actually amazed me was the number of men guarding the residence. They were scattered everywhere. All wearing the same thing. Sunglasses, black suit, black tie, black shoes. They’re like clones. Both hands at the back, not moving, expressionless, very much like statues. The inside was quiet, gloomy, caliginous, and spacious. Chloe led me to the living room.

“Is there something you want to drink?” she asked, I shook my head. She made a gesture I didn’t catch, and that’s when I realized there’s a maid waiting far behind me. She bowed and walked away. “Why don’t we talk about you, Sam?” She asked, sitting comfortably on a couch, checked her phone, frowned, and then she placed it under the pillow beside her. “There’s nothing to do in here. It’s five already and they’re not yet here.” She sighed. “What a good plan this is... That Charles. He was the one who planned this. He’s really a pain. Really!”

“There’s nothing to talk about me.” I dismissed the idea with a flick of my hand.

“I… I’ve been staying here for five months now, I think.” She started. “I actually ran away from my family back there in Carmelo---”

Carmelo? I asked myself. I was trying to register where it is. I remember it was mentioned in a series grandma used to watch. The one about fashion, I think.

“—You see… My parents keep bossing me around. They were arranging my marriage behind my back. Thrice.” She continued, raising three fingers, and then she sighed.

“I can’t believe there are still people doing that… I mean--”

“Exactly!” Her pitch was a little too high and a little too loud, nodding. “Those guys were not even good looking…I finally snapped and decided to go here when mom demanded me to meet the fourth guy.” She chuckled, scratching her temple. “Lucky, for you… you can do whatever you want.” She looked down to her knees. “They don’t know I’m here.”

A man in a suit came with the maid earlier. The maid placed a glass teapot with a large metal infuser chamber inside, and two small cups on the table. “Rooibos tea, ma’am?” Chloe nodded. When the old lady looked at me, I shook my head. The suit guy lowered his head to Chloe’s ear, whispering something to her. Chloe’s eyes rolled, and then nodded. The suit guy took a step back and just stood there. Not moving.

“He’s---” she was interrupted by the sudden angry burst of ringing from her phone. “It’s Charles” she said and stood up. “Hullo Charles?”

“Uhm, where’s the comfort room?” I asked the maid. She looked at me and told me to follow her.

When I got out from the comfort room, the maid was gone. I lost myself in a maze of corridors. Where was it again? I couldn’t remember. What the hell? The place was murky, so I started panicking. I heard a soft clatter, then a grumble. Following the sound, I found myself standing in front of a door. Is this it? I thought.

I could hear someone breathing hard inside, like hyperventilating, and then a clinking sound. I knocked. There was no answer, but I could still hear some groaning. Knocked again. Still none. Opened the door, it was not locked, so I barged in. It was dark, only a reflection of light from the moon lit the room. A large window was wide open. An outline appeared. A person? I asked myself. The shadow seemed like it was bent over a tall table. The person inhaled abruptly and then exhaled, grumbling as he straightened his back. It sounded like a man.

“Excuse… me… I got lost… and--” A wave of nausea surged through me as I stood in the room. Then an orange-colored small light was suddenly prominent. I didn’t notice it earlier. It lifted and its color flared. “I got separated from Chloe... .” He puffed and a stream, thick white smoke popped downwards. Then it scattered, hiding his silhouette. I couldn’t see him now. There was another clinking sound of glass, and I said “I’m sorry. I’ll leave now.”

When I was about to turn, he grabbed my hoodie and slammed me to the wall. He’s fast. I didn’t even sense him near me. He was like meters away earlier. He lifted me, grabbing the collar of my sweatshirt then whammed me to I-don’t-know-what, and something fell. A sharp, ear-piercing, shattering sound resonated in the room. He swung me again. Hundred or thousand pieces scattered on the ground glimmering as the moonlight reflected them.

Finally, half of his face was revealed. I could see his eyes. They were gleaming, like it was glowing. Like cat’s eyes in the dark. They’re yellow. Like yellow. Must be the effect of the moon’s light. His eyes were lifeless, dead. It was frightening, yet I felt sad. I was amazed. He was grabbing me still, looking at me. I could feel the pain now. He was strong.

Not this again, I thought.

I realized I was shaking. Maybe I bit my tongue, or my lip---I’m not sure---but I could taste blood. My back. My shoulders. My arms. The impact. Everything happened so fast. He was glaring at me, not blinking. My glasses were gone. It flew somewhere. I had no time to think about why I could see this guy so clearly without my glasses. Maybe, I had become a cat too, since cats can see clearly in the dark. My eyes were closing. I guess my head hit something and my head swam with stars.

Published 
Written by Liezl15
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments