Find your next favourite story now
Login

13+
Blood roses after dark Ch. 2

8
8 Comments 8
1.3k Views 1.3k
1.9k words 1.9k words
Light shined brightly into my face, disrupting my peaceful sleep. Funny… I thought this was a windowless room. Opening my eyes just a crack, light flooded in, blinding me for a moment. I wince at the slight sting, my eyes squeezing shut. It faded away quickly and I reopened my eyes; this time prepared for it. The door was open just slightly enough for light to seep through. There must be a window out in the hallway.
I felt well rested after that much needed sleep. I shifted to get comfortable, but then I was spontaneously reminded that I still should not move around. Gloom hung over me like a thick black cloud, I had desperately hoped my wounds would magically heal overnight. I pause… Why would I expect that to happen?
An image flashed before my eyes; just for a brief second. Bleach white walls surrounded me in a bleak, barren room. Abruptly Ronan burst into the room a wide smile on his face. I blankly stared at him; the remnants of the image shattering in my mind. He sat down on the cot beside me.
"Good morning, Akiko! Did you sleep well?" I could've just flat out lied to wipe that smile off his face, but he is trying to help. Instead I just nod as to not give him more satisfaction than he deserves. He offered his hand meaning to check my wounds. Delicately I raised my arm and rested it in his palm.
"Good. Today we're going to focus on getting you to look alive again." No words came to me on how to respond, I wish I could come up with a sardonic come back. The linens were secure and Ronan gently scooped me into his arms like I was weightless. I felt so helpless in his arms; I hated the feeling, I hated being in this position, I hated the fact I can't remember how I got in this dilemma in the first place.
He carried me out of the room and to the end of the hallway. He placed me down on wobbling feet; keeping a supportive arm around me. There was no strength in my legs and the strain was impossible to manage as pain seared through them. A cold shiver ran down my spine, how did I lose the ability in my legs? I know I was running before I collapsed.
"You lost an extraordinary amount of blood and it shouldn't be surprising if you feel weak. This is to build your strength back up in your legs." He released me and I grab the wall to hold myself up. He walked over to the other side of the hall. "Come to me!" I looked at him skeptically.
"Again, I'm not a dog." I considered on trying to dart for the other direction. Ronan would catch up to me of course, but it would be interesting to see him freak out. I took one hesitant step forward despite my own protest. "What are mechanical soldiers?" I asked, concentrated on stabilizing my feet to the ground. I felt his hesitation, he clearly didn't want to tell me.
"Focus on walking for now, darling girl. You'll find out soon enough about… them." So he wasn't planning on telling me, or more likely didn't assume I would ask. I took a step forward and stumbled to my knee. I held up a hand to halt him. I don't need his assistance, I will never need his assistance… I stood back up and took another step using the wall for support. I pushed through the pain, gritting my teeth with each step. I crept to him, but eventually made it. He smiled satisfied.
"OK, now to clean you up!" He led me to another room. This one had faded floral wallpaper and tiled floors. A large tub was located along the far wall, a toilet beside it and a sink on the adjacent wall. The room was dingy and needed a miracle to look descant again. There is no way I'm touching the basin. The sink had a deep crack running up the side of the bowl. The mirror above in was cover with grime and dirt, warping the image of a girl with dirty hair and two pale eyes; one blue, one green. Ronan was there behind me.
"The water is a bit frigid. So I must apologize, I could always heat up some in the oven." I look at him confused. "Wow… you know it's kind of sad that you don't know anything… I guess amnesia can be that extreme." I returned the comment with a glare, he's mocking me, I know it.
"Excuse me?" My voice thick with a sinister tone. He backed away a few paces.
"I didn't mean any offense."
"I bet you didn't," I sarcastically muttered under my breath. I saw a switch and examined it for a moment. It was located right beside the crooked door frame and cobwebs covered it. I reached out to it and flicked the switch up. Nothing happened, what's the point to have something laying around and not have a purpose.
Ronan flipper the switch back down. "There used to be electricity, but that was a very long time ago… Or so I've been told." I waited for him to elaborate, but then he passed me and started the water. He lit a couple of candles I had missed that were situated on the sink and back of the toilet. It cast the room in a dim golden light, it didn't benefit the room in anyway; actually it might of made it worse...
The tub filled up completely and Ronan began to unwrap the linens. A dense feeling, like lead, filled my stomach. What the heck is this guy doing! "Get away from me!" He stopped.
"I highly doubt you're capable of washing yourself in this condition, so relax. You're injured and I'm just trying to help." He wasn't smiling and continued the unwrap the linens. I take a step back offended and uncomfortable.
"Who gave you the right to decide if I am capable or not!" My voice filled with a hidden loathing. A stunned silence fell between us. I was shocked about how fiercely defensive I was against this guy who is only trying to help and his puzzled expression revealed how perplexed he was of the situation. I sigh irritated and slipped off my shirt. "Don't you dare try anything funny."
He smiled and held his hands up in defense, "I'm a gentleman, Akiko. I wouldn't dare." I wasn't comforted by his promise, but what choice did I have? He removed all the linens from my arms and legs; the grotesque stitches running up my legs like a poorly sewn doll. I etched my fingers lightly around them; the pain contained within my heart more unbearable than any physical pain ever caused. The wide gaping hole in my head obscuring my memories evoked fear; something caused this.
"Ronan… how did I get so hurt?" He didn't answer again, gosh this is annoying."Answer me!"
"When you're better." He snapped and help me into the water. We scrubbed off the dirt and grime that caked my hair and skin. My skin was pale and clear underneath and the cuts didn't look as nearly as bad as before. My hair was shocking and Ronan fell backwards in response. It was a turquoise blue and naturally curled into neat, luminous spirals.
"… Did I dye my hair?" That seemed logical and seemed to fit. I felt that to be the truth for some unconscious reason and finished up. He handed me a towel; well, what was left that has yet to be unraveled. I dried off and re wrapped the linens and slipped back on the clothes I worn before. I smiled in the mirror briefly, gazing into the eyes of a now familiar stranger. Such sad, dark eyes that belong to one person.
My head felt instantly light and my body felt dense. I lost my balance and stumbled into Ronan's arms. I felt immensely tired too, but I had just woken up. I shouldn't be in this situation.
"we must have exceeded the limits of your strength..." Oh, now you inform me of this! If I had ran before, what could've happened to me? I kept these thoughts to myself, didn't want to be rude. He carried my limp body back to my room and placed me in the cot. "I'll be back in a few hours, then we'll have something to eat." He left me alone again. Grr, at this rate I'll never find out the answers to my questions.
Okay, I am stronger than this; I will get my answers one way or another. My finger twitched, ha progress! I focused my energy and rose up to a sitting position. Won't be long now, this will be over in a matter of moments!
I felt another snap in my head and blacked out.
A warm sloppy tongue aroused me from my sleep this time. I opened one eye to see the muzzle of the dog. It whined and licked me again tenderly. I shakily slid my hand over and stroked its furry head. I wonder how many days I will be stuck here. how many countless hours waiting for the truth to dawn in my mind.
With wavering strengthen I managed to stand up. I will not wait any longer. With renewed determination strength returned into my legs completely and I made my way to the hallway.
The beckoning aroma of baking pizza drifted to me causing my stomach to growl. I followed the smell down the other way; away from the bathroom and bedroom. The dog shadowed me and stayed close to my heels.
I came to an open door and peeked inside. There was Ronan tending a fire and checking a pizza. I glance at the rest of the room. It had faded red walls and white tile flooring. A few counters covered with dishes, ingredients, and a large square bag. There was a stool off to the side, I took a seat and watched Ronan at work.
He turned around and jumped. "Oh, God!" He also nearly dropped the pizza. "Akiko, don't scare me like that! Shalt are you doing out of bed and walking around? You could get seriously hurt." He reached out for my arm but I jerk it away.
"I want some answers. Right now." He smirked a little and set the pizza on a plate.
He slid it in front of me, an attempt to distract me. "I'm sorry, but I don't know the answers to your questions or I can't explain them." I clench my jaw and take a bite of the pizza with a sudden intensity of annoyance. He grabbed a slice and sighed. "You are feeling better, I presume." I stiffly nodded. He smiled and took a bite of his slice.
The dog laid on the floor giving us peculiar glances, constantly hopeful of food. I ignored it for the most part, but tossed the crust to it.
Ronan then drew my attention away from the pup and helped me, quite unwillingly, back to the room. "OK, Akiko. I promise tomorrow I'll show you around town." I grumbled under my breath, but I'm pleased, now that can finally get out of the building for once!
Oh, why does tomorrow seem so far away!
Published 
Written by Anonymous
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments