Find your next favourite story now
Login

13+
Blood Sacrifice

"true friendship means sacrifice"

2
2 Comments 2
1.6k Views 1.6k
4.2k words 4.2k words
Carol was extremely uncomfortable as she sat at the small corner booth. She had every right to be, sitting alone in this bar full of amorous young men.

She was an exceedingly attractive young woman. She was medium height but could be described as buxom and curvaceous. She had shoulder length, light auburn hair with blond highlights. Her facial features were just a slight bit awry from perfect, but it only added to her charm.

She thought,“Where is she? Does she always have to be late? I don't know why she always wants to meet in a noisy bar. I'll give her five more minutes and I'm leaving. Oh no, here comes another one.” as a flashily dressed young man approached her table, grinning as if this was certainly his lucky night.

He leaned over, placed his hands on the table and thrust his face close to hers and said, “Hi honey, need a little company? My name's Tod and I'm as lonely as you look.”

She looked up and said, “No thank you, I'm waiting for a friend.”

“Oh, come on, you've been sitting here for almost three quarters of an hour, they would have been here by now.” as he slid next to her, trapping her against the wall.

Carol lost her temper a bit and snapped, “If you've been watching me that long you must have seen me brush off all those other creeps too.”

He reached out and grabbed her hand while putting his other arm on the booth back and leered, “Yeah, but they weren't me.”

Carol jerked her hand free and tried to shrug his arm off that he had lowered to her shoulders and cried, “Get your hands off me and leave!”

Tod purred, “Don't play so hard to get.” as a large hand dropped on his shoulder.

A large, older man stood there, and in a low deep voice spoke, “I think the lady would like you to leave her alone. Why don't you?”

Tod looked up and snarled, “Who the hell are you, her uncle? Why don't you go away, old man?”

As the man slowly tightened his grip on Tod's shoulder he intoned, “I don't think I will, but you will.” and tightened even more.

Tod winced and groaned, “ Okay, okay, let go.” and, shamefaced, rose and left.

The man asked, “Are you all right miss? Do you need anything?”

Carol looked up and scrutinized the man. She hadn't even seen him approach the corner until he spoke. He was tall, and though slim, imparted a very fit figure as he must be to have convinced Tod with just a squeeze. His full, black, swept back hair showed gray streaks at his temples. His pale, mature, though line less face, showed no expression. But his dark eyes seemed to convey deep hidden emotions. He was dressed in a slightly old fashioned black or very dark blue suit.

Carol uttered, “N.. no, I'll be alright. Thank you for getting rid of him, I was just getting ready to scream. How did you know I was in trouble, I didn't see you anywhere near?”

With that, his garnet lips parted in an attractive smile, showing his dazzling white teeth as he chuckled, “I was right over there.” and waved his hand in a vague gesture. “It's dark in here and you must have mistaken me for a coat rack.”

“Well, thanks again, I don't think my friend is going to show, so I think I'll leave.”

“He smiled again and offered, “If you have a car, would you like me to accompany you to it, or the bus stop?”

“No, I will.......Yes, actually I would, if it's not too much trouble. I don't want to take you from your friends.”

Another smile lit his face as he disclosed, “I haven't any friends here but you. I may consider myself one of your friends now, can't I?”

“You certainly can.” as she extended her hand and revealed, “I'm Carol Anders, and you?”

Another smiling answer, “I'm called Victor Drackley in this country, most people can't pronounce my real name correctly. I'm very pleased to meet you Miss Anders.”

As they left the bar Carol asked, “May I call you Victor? And you must call me Carol if we're to be friends. You have no accent, Victor, where are you from?”

He evaded a definite answer by saying, “It's a small unimportant eastern Europe country. I've had plenty of time to lose my accent. Are you a native of this city?”

“No,” she said. “I came here after my parents died and I had no reason to stay there, I had no relatives and wanted to see how I would do in the big city.”

“Oh, and how have you?”

She thought and then imparted, “At first I had to struggle, but now I think I'm doing pretty fine, I've a good paying job, and I've made a lot of friends. Yes, I'm doing very well. Here's my car, Victor, thank you.”

Victor hesitated a moment, “You're very welcome. I don't want to seem forward Carol, but may I call you? I don't know anyone here and I'd like to take you to dinner. Would you come?”

Carol gave a big smile and said, “How could I turn down my saving angel, Victor? I think I would like that very much.” They exchanged phone numbers and parted.

That evening, while preparing for bed, Carol thought about the evening and the man she had met. She was intrigued by Victor, not in a romantic way, but very curious about him nevertheless. He was certainly fascinating with his old world manners and good looks. Her dreams that night were mixed with periods of intense pleasure and unidentified terror.

After a few days Carol was at work quite late when her phone rang. She dug it from her purse and answered . “Yes, I'm fine Victor, just have to catch up on some work, how are you?”

“I'm fine too, Carol, would you like to go to dinner tomorrow night? There is a very fine restaurant not too far from where we met. Would that be convenient for you?”

“Yes, that would be fine, what time would you like? The next day I have to get up very early so it would have to be an early meal.”

"I'm afraid that wouldn't work for me, I have a commitment. I was thinking eight o'clock, would that work the following night?” And would you like me to pick you up or would you be more comfortable just meeting at the restaurant?”

“That sounds very nice, Victor. I think for a first meeting we should meet there, from there we'll see.”

When Carol arrived at one of the most expensive restuarants in the city she was feeling a little overwhelmed by the luxurious accommodations. She gave the maitre d' her name and he escorted her to a table where Victor was already sitting. When he saw her he quickly rose, gave a little bow, and held her chair as she sat. She was almost overcome with his manners.

They had a wonderful dinner and then went to a local bistro for a few drinks. Carol was enjoying being surrounded by Victor's attentiveness and lively, interesting, and humorous conversation. The thing that puzzled her was that she couldn't figure out his approximate age. One minute he was expounding on ancient literature like a professor and the next on current rock bands.

Then a very large, muscular young man approached and said, “Carol, what are you doing here? I've never seen you here before.” while eying Victor in a very suspicious manner.

Carol looked up and uncertainly said, “Hello Sid, that's because I've never been here before.” and turned away.

He didn't take the hint, “Why don't you introduce me to your friend? I don't remember him either.”

As Carol was introducing them Victor rose and stood with a rather odd small smile, and when Sid reached out for a hand shake, took it and let the smile widen just a bit. Carol grimaced as she knew Sid to be a bully who would crush Victor's hand. For the seconds the handshake took Victor's smile remained but Sid's slipped away. Then he looked strangely at Victor and left.

As Victor sat he asked, “A friend of yours, Carol?”

“No, not hardly, an acquaintance is all, I don't care for him, he's a terrible wolf and always trying to get me to go out with him.”

At the word wolf Victor's head snapped up and for a moment he stared at Carol, then said, “ That's a bit of an anachronistic word, isn't it? Next you'll be calling him a masher.”

“I suppose it is, but it's what came to my mind. I have to see him at work but I don't like him there either.”

Victor smiled and agreed, “ I didn't care much for him either. I think you're showing very good taste and I'd like to warn you to stay as far away from him you can. You may think it odd that I would say that on the basis of just a minute or so of meeting him, but I have met many others like him. They are not good people to associate with. Will you promise me you will?”

Carol laughed and said, “If it means that much to you I'll be glad to. If only all of my other promises were that agreeable. I have no intention of fraternizing with Sid.”

The rest of the evening was very enjoyable and when Victor walked her to her car and opened her door for her he declared, “I had a wonderful time, Carol. Would you be agreeable to doing it again? Or maybe going to the theater? Or maybe both?”

Carol sighed and admitted, “Victor, I think you're very attractive and I like you very much, but I want to be honest with you. I value your friendship but it'll never go any further than just that. I'm very sorry if I have led you to think that it could.”

He silently stood there for more than a few moments, expressionless, staring at her, then said, “Have I led you to believe that I wanted more? Have I given you any indication that I lusted for you? I am a little disappointed that you think I did. I am a lonely man and value your friendship more than you could know. Not your love, not your body, only your company. I don't have many friends, and none here. Does that answer any qualms you have?”

Carol cried, “Oh no, Victor, I didn't mean to insult you, please forgive me. I only wanted to clarify things between us. Please believe me, In the short time we've known each other I've come to consider you as more than just a friend, but a very close one. I admire you and appreciate you more than I can convey with just words.” and stepped forward and hugged him.

He softly kissed the top of her head, then gripping her shoulders, held her stationary as he stepped back and broke out in a brilliant smile as he told her, “Thank you for your honesty then. Does that mean you'll go to the theater with me?” They both laughed as she entered her car and drove away.

The next weeks they got together at least once a week and enjoyed eachothers company at theaters, movies, dinners, and even went boating one rainy afternoon on his boat that wasn't quite a yacht but was quite a few steps up from a day sailer. He started to pick her up in his limousine, a beautiful black European model of some brand Carol didn't recognize. It was not anywhere close to new but immaculate and looked in new shape.

During this period, at work, she was having increased harassing from Sid. He would put his arm around her and she would shrug it off just as quickly. It advanced to patting her on the butt as he walked past, and then to brushing her breasts as if by accident when he could. Then one day he cornered her in her cubicle, pushing himself against her and rubbing his groin to hers while saying, “When are we getting together, Carol. I'm getting tired of waiting for you to make up your mind.”

“Sid, get off me, I made up my mind the second I met you. We're never getting together and if you don't leave I'll scream. He put a hand across her mouth and started rubbing her breasts. Just then their boss walking by glanced into the cubicle.

“What the hell is going on?” she yelled. “Get off her, Sid and explain yourself.”

Sid smirked and said, “Just a little lover's quarrel is all.”

Carol cried, “The hell it was, Miss Davis, I think he was going to rape me,” and dropped into her chair and sobbed.

Miss Davis roared, “I've had enough of your crap, Sid! You're fired, clean your stuff out and get out! I don't care who you know, I caught you red-handed and you're gone!” and she went over to Carol and consoled her, “ It's close to quitting time, honey. Why don't you take off, go home and rest. Sid won't be around to bother you any more. Those reports can wait.”

Carol responded, “If you don't mind, Miss Davis, I'll just sit here 'til I get over the shakes. Someone is going to meet me here anyway.”

In a couple of minutes Sid suddenly appeared in the doorway with his arms full of his personal effects, “So you got me fired. This isn't over, bitch.” and was then pulled away by the security guard that was ushering him out.

At quitting time she met Victor in the lobby. He had a stern look on his face as he escorted her to his car. After they had settled in he turned to her. He told her that Miss Davis had filled him on what had transpired. She then told him what Sid had said on his way out.

Victor affirmed his concern for her, “Carol, you have to be doubly diligent in your caution. Be aware of your surroundings at all times. Sid, I believe, is a viscous animal. Promise me you'll be careful.”

A few evenings later Carol opened her fridge door and exclaimed, “Darn it, I forgot to stop and pick up breakfast things. I'll just have to pop down to the corner store, it's just down the block, what could happen?”

As Carol left the door to her building she stopped and carefully looked all about. Seeing no danger, she proceeded towards the small mom and pop store on the next block. Suddenly, about half way, someone threw a bag over her head and she felt herself being dragged backward to what must have been a gangway between two buildings.

A voice she didn't recognize wheezed in her ear, “It's time you paid your penalty, bitch. I don't think you'll like it though,” followed by some weird giggles as they went deeper and deeper into the dark.

She couldn't scream, and probably no one would hear her through the bag anyway, and could barely breathe from the arm around her neck and the tight drawstring on the bag. Then, with no warning, she was roughly dropped to the concrete walk. As she tried to loosen the drawstring she heard some scuffling, followed by the sound of a garbage can being knocked over. The fracas noises faded as they retreated.

She finally was able to remove the bag, but couldn't rise, as she tried to regain her breath. Then some unseen hands helped her to her feet. She tried weakly to resist until a quiet voice said, “Shh, you're safe now, it's over.” and she was helped towards the street.

When they reached a little light she looked up and exclaimed, “Victor, what are you doing here? Have you been stalking me?”

“ Not I, Carol, but you have been stalked. I've been following and trying to guard you. Could we go to your apartment? I think we need to talk.”

When they reached the apartment Carol had a chance to look Victor over and asked in a worried voice. “Oh, are you hurt badly, Victor, your shirts all bloody!”

He calmed her, “No, I'm fine, it's not my blood. Let me find you something to drink and we'll talk.” He rummaged in her small kitchen, found a dusty brandy bottle and poured her some.

After she had taken a few sips and calmed herself he took a deep breath and asserted, “I've not been completely honest with you, I hope that what I tell you doesn't upset you too much and ruin our friendship. What do you know of vampires?”

Carol giggled a bit and asked, “You mean those blood sucking undead? What does that have any bearing on what you're saying?”

He intoned in his deep voice, “I am a vampire, Carol. Not like the venomous ones you read about in popular fiction, but a vampire nevertheless. Bram Stoker is the one who started all that foolishness about evil beings who prey upon the innocent. Most of it is distortion to frighten unruly children.

Carol sat there pensively for some time and finally said, “If I believe you it would explain some of the things I wondered about, but it's pretty hard to swallow, can you explain some more? What is the truth? I don't believe I am in any danger from you, no matter what you tell me.”

“No, Carol, certainly not, you need have no need to fear that. Alright, here's the truth. As you can see, I'm not dead, but not alive either, in the way you think of life, it's a different state altogether. I do not sleep in a coffin, in fact, I don't sleep very much at all, only when bored. I don't prey upon the innocent, I have no need to.”

“What are your limits, Victor. What can and can't you do?”

“I can go into the sunlight, although strong sunlight is slightly uncomfortable because of my pale skin, which is why we went boating in the rain. Do I need blood to sustain my existence? Yes, I do, but there are countless animals butchered every day and I have an abundant supply. I admit, human blood is more sustaining and more like ambrosia to creatures like me, but humans don't feed constantly on only the choicest foods either. Your unfortunate attacker found that out tonight, and no, he's not dead, but he'll have a very sore throat for a whole.”

She sat and thought again, then asked, “Who do you think he is, and why did he attack me?”

“Ah, Carol, that brings up another subject you may have a hard time accepting. When I first met Sid I immediately recognized him as a werewolf. He wasn't sure about me but I disturbed him. But when he tried to crush my hand and couldn't I'm sure he realized what I was. I have found out he is the pack leader here, and like I said, he's a vicious animal. Your assailer tonight was most likely one of them, set on you by Sid. You must be extra vigilant, I'm sure he's not done with you yet.”

“My God, what should I do, should I move away? Where would I go?”

Victor warned her, “I doubt it would solve your dilemma, Carol. If he wants to he would find you, your scent is strong in his nostrils. He's a beast in many ways, and tracking you would be child's play to him. I think you're stuck with seeing a lot more of me until I figure something out.”

“I don't think that will be a burden at all for me, Victor. I enjoy your company” and after a moment's thought, “But what do you gain from this? Why were you drawn to me in the beginning?”

“Carol, I'm a lonely man. My amorous instincts and desires are for one of my own kind, and I haven't met one for well over a hundred years, but I do enjoy the company of an intelligent young woman and you appealed to me when we first met. Since then I have grown to love you very much, although in a more platonic way.”

“Victor, I mirror your feelings. I love you too, maybe like an older relative, and from what you've said, that fits perfectly as you're certainly older,” she laughed.

Victor kept as close a guard on Carol that he could manage, but there were times it was impossible. Although he had the ability to make himself not invisible, but unnoticeable, he didn't think it right to follow her to the washroom or into the shower, or even into her bedroom as she slept, but he kept close vigilance.

One night they returned from a play and, as usual, he followed her to her apartment. When they entered he started checking the rooms as he always did before leaving to take up his watch outside.

He had just entered the bedroom when the closet door burst from its hinges and Sid leapt upon Victors back. This was not the Sid we have seen before.

He had been transformed into a half wolf, half man. Instead of paws he had retained his hands, although now with heavy claws instead of nails. His shirt was shredded from where the powerful muscles had split it, exposing his furred body. His legs were fully wolf, where the strong sinews for leaping appeared through his ruined pants. His head was the most ghastly as it was fully wolf, from the bloodthirsty eyes to the long snout which growled to reveal long sharp canines.

Carol tried to pull him from Victor's back, only to receive a wicked backhand that sent her across the room where she fell, semiconscious. It did allow Victor to free himself to go face to face with Sid, which was the last thing she saw before the blackness overwhelmed her.

She awoke to hear one of her neighbors beating on her door and yelling, “What's going on in there, are you alright?”

She shouted back, “Everything's okay, it was just the dog going nuts and banging things around.” to which she heard him retreating, mumbling something about noisy neighbors and wild parties. She hoped he didn't know she didn't have a dog.

She pulled herself to her feet and went looking. She found Sid in the living room, fully wolf now. With his throat torn out. She staggered into the guest bedroom to see Victor on the floor, face down, breathing very shallowly and gasping, with gaping wounds everywhere she could see. She quickly knelt and turned him to his side to see even more horrendous damage where the claws and teeth had ripped and torn him.

After a few moments he opened his eyes and with a weak smile said, “Well, I don't think we have that little problem anymore, do we.” and then went into a coughing spasm and coughed up blood.

“Oh, Victor, what can I do? You look so weak, what can I get you.? She cried as the tears rolled down her cheeks.

Victor couldn't speak for a while as he slumped even lower, then, weakly, “He was even stronger than I thought and did too much damage to me, there's nothing you can do. Without sustenance I'm afraid my long life is finally going to end. Don't be sorry for me, I've had way more than my share of life, don't you think?”

Carol knelt there and sobbed, “No Victor, no, there must be something.” then suddenly she straightened and said, “ You said sustenance. For you that means blood. I have blood. Take what you need, Victor.”

“You don't know what you're saying, Carol. I didn't save you to harm you. Don't be foolish”

“Would I turn into a vampire too? If it meant saving you, I would.”

“No, you wouldn't, but it would create an unbreakable bond between us that would last as least as long as either of us is still living. I don't have the right to do that to you.”

As Carol laid herself beside him she whispered, “But I have the right to offer it freely, and do so. Besides, we already have an unbreakable bond as far as I'm concerned.

A few days later, as they left the building on an overcast but bright day, they stood on the stoop and inspected the street. Victor looked as he always did, pale but very fit and full of life. Carol also was a little pale with a scarf around her neck to hide a rather large bandage.

Then, both of them smiling came, arm in arm, down the steps.

Published 
Written by Rascal
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments