Find your next favourite story now
Login

13+
The Castle Part 8

2
2 Comments 2
1.2k Views 1.2k
899 words 899 words
Two days later the Baroness summoned her staff to her private sitting room after breakfast and gave them all explicit instructions.

"I have a guest staying in the room across from mine. She is the daughter of an old friend of mine and she is not to be disturbed for any reason."

"How long will she stay?" one of the maids asked.

"As long as she wishes."

"What about meals and cleaning her room?" another inquired.

"Not necessary for the moment. She had a very active social life that will keep her out all night and she will dine while she is out," the Baroness smiled to herself as she said this.

"I will assume that she requires money?" her lawyer asked,

"If she has a need. That's enough questions for now. Please return to your duties," she said and dismissed them all. Her lawyer however remained.

"Something you need?" the Baroness asked coldly.

"I understand that there is a strange man arriving here every night," her lawyer stated.

"Quite so. He is not a strange man, he is a teacher from the city and is assisting her with her studies."

"Can one assume that we are paying for this tutoring?"

"Not we, me," the Baroness responded fixing him with a stare.

The lawyer knew this was a dismissal and giving a slight bow he took his leave. Her personal physician arrived for his weekly check on her health and was amazed, she seemed to have made improvements. Her blood pressure was better than it had been in years and she seemed even more alert than the last time he checked her.

Every evening the Queen visited her after the Sun had set and they sat talking for hours. The Baroness divided up her ancient ancestors education between the scholastic and personal. She was taught all about grooming using the new devices that the Queen found in her room as well as how to dress for this time.

The Queens mind was like a sponge and it soaked up all the knowledge imparted on her very quickly. In less that three months she had mastered the English and French languages and her nightly conversation with her Granddaughter became a pleasure.

On the days that the teacher wasn't scheduled to appear she used the desktop to surf the web and bring herself up to date on the world.

"Do you know that I almost destroyed myself on the first day of my rebirth?" the Queen said one evening.

"How so?" the Baroness asked.

"I had lingered in town too long and was returning to the castle just as the Sun peeked over the mountains."

"What happened?"

"The rays touching my skin caused me great pain as small fingers of flame appeared. I ran and hid in the first structure I saw, it was an old barn. I covered myself with anything I could find and the burning stopped and I fell into a deep sleep."

"When I awoke, the horrible thirst was upon me and I sought to slack it. As I threw back the items that I had used to cover myself an old man shuffled out of the shadows."

"Your majesty," he said while bowing.

"He then placed a large bowl in my hands. It was filled to the rim with blood and I drained every last drop."

"You have done me a great service. old man," I said as I tossed a gold coin to him.

"It is my pleasure to serve you," he had said bowing again.

"How are you called?"

"My name is Delmont, your majesty."

"I may need to use your barn again, Delmont."

"If you desire you may hide in my cottage, it has a deep root cellar."

"You are not afraid of me?"

"No, my Queen.I may even be of assistance if you allow me the honor of serving you."

"I gave this peasant a look, of what possible assistance could he be to me," she told the Baroness.

The Queen discovered that he had taught at a university in Vienna and was a learned man. He retired here after his wife passed away. He owned the land and paid his taxes without failure. He took me into his house and they spent the evening discussing her condition.

"According to my books, the rays of the Sun will burn you. The longer you tarry, the more damage they will do and it could destroy you," Delmont explained.

"From where did this blood come?" the Queen asked.

"From one of my cows."

"Did you know that it would suffice?"

"No, that was a risk."

"What if it had not worked?"

"I was prepared to defend myself."

"How so?"

"I would rather not show you, it will cause you pain."

"I implore you to show me," the Queen asked.

In the twinkling of an eye, he produced a crucifix from the sleeve of his tunic. At the sight of it, the Queen turned her head and held up her hands as if to ward off the power emanating from the small metal object.When the old man hid the crucifix, she was able to face him again.

"There is much I need to learn," she said simply.

"That there is, majesty."

"I shall return tomorrow after sunset for more instructions if that is acceptable."

"Until tomorrow, your majesty," he said giving a bow.

Published 
Written by The_Count
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments