Find your next favourite story now
Login

13+
The Strange White Man 51

4
3 Comments 3
1.3k Views 1.3k
934 words 934 words
With Holly back home Brother Sebastian returned with his trunks of research materials to the rail car as there was still the puzzle of the formula he had decipher. Carpenter returned to visiting him every night where his mind was sent racing backwards in time.

He saw himself returning to the cave where he had burned the wizards body and gathered the ashes. He then ventured deep in the woods until he found a place by a stream where he had played as a child, it was quiet and peaceful.

"May your spirit find rest here," he intoned as he scattered the ashes.

As he headed back to the castle, he crossed the path of another guard that was in the process of fleeing. This one had been part of the guards when his Father sat on the throne. There was the momentary fear on the guards part as he came face to face with the dead Prince and instinctively drew his sword..

However, after the Prince spoke to him, he realized that he was not in danger. He placed his sword back in its sheath and dropped to one knee in the bow that they always made before the royal family.

"Prince Karl," he intoned.

"Please stand and there is no need to address me as such. You're called Much?"

"Aye, I am surprised you recall may name. But then like your Father you always made it a point to learn all our names," he responded.

You are leaving? You always said how much you like it here."

"True enough, when your sainted Father still sat on throne, but this new King is mad and I will no longer serve him," Much responded.

"I understand and there is no shame in your thinking. I pray you have a safe journey."

"Be warned that they are searching for your hiding place day and night. The King has become obsessed with that thought alone."

"I will take care," Carpenter said as they parted.

Carpenter returned to the castle and stayed hidden in the secret lair. When he heard them in the outer passageways he would use the many spy holes to watch them.They would occasionally stop to bang and push on the walls to see if it concealed a secret hiding place. Carpenter only smiled at their efforts.

The wizard had told him that the mad genius that had designed the castle had built in locking devices on all the hidden entrances. There was also a lever to prevent the torch holders from opening the hidden doors. He showed him these things and made sure that he could work them.

He spent his nights reading from the massive library that the wizard had amassed. When he grew tired of reading and needed some diversion he would appear in the Kings sleeping chamber and taunt him.

"You will never find my resting spot," he hissed at his enemy.

The King summoned his guards who were right outside his door, but they were never quick enough to catch him as his speed was beyond explanation. They fired arrows at his fleeing shadow but the arrows never found their target.

It was about two months and three weeks had passed since the death of the Princess and the wizard that an army appeared at the main gate. It was King Thom, the Father of the Princess.

"Murderer. it was you that killed my daughter,"he yelled up to the King that had been summoned to the wall.

"You have been misinformed my friend. It was the undead Prince that did it," the King yelled down.

"Liar," came a response from another voice in the middle of the mounted warriors. It was then that the former Captain of his guards moved his horse forward and stopped next to his new King.

"Surrender yourself for punishment or suffer the consequences," King Thom yelled.

"Never," he responded and ordered his guards to fire on the army and they returned fire and the war commenced. The residents of the town cowered in their homes while many prepared to flee. Carpenter watched with great sadness as the peace of this sleepy town was being shattered by war.

It was then he decided to turn the tide. He waited until well past sundown before he left the castle and headed to King Thom's encampment. Hiding in the shadows he watched and waited, soon he discovered the tent of the Captain.

He entered without announcing himself. When the Captain looked up and saw his former student and Prince standing there he rushed to embrace him.

"So you made safely it to King Throm's kingdom."

"Aye, it was a long journey, one that I had not planned on making," he responded.

"What changed?

"I changed. The knowledge that he was going to get away with killing the Princess ate at me. So I changed my direction and headed to Throm's palace and begged for an audience with him.That is when I told him everything."

"Everything? He knows about me?"

"Have no fear, he is a wise leader and not a superstitious fool," the Captain answered.

"I fear this war will not end quickly. Your army cannot gain entry and ours cannot really hurt yours,"Carpenter intoned.

"What do you propose?"

"Delivering this mad King to you bound and gagged. It will not be an easy task as we need witnesses to his confession. Will King Thom listen to you and order his troops to retreat back into the woods?"

"That he will."

"Good, ask him after I leave. I will begin to make preparations."

Published 
Written by The_Count
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments