Find your next favourite story now
Login

13+
The Strange White Man 54

3
2 Comments 2
1.1k Views 1.1k
905 words 905 words
So in the year of our Lord, 1700 Carpenter saw himself and Elise make the trip to London. They arrived about a day later and sought a real estate agent for a dwelling to purchase or rent. The papers provided to her by her King stating that she was an emissary were a big help, as was the money Carpenter had provided. A lavish house was purchased on fashionable Wimpole street.

Servants hired to keep the place clean and cook. Each member had a small room to themselves which was unheard of for that time, usually two girls shared one room and one bed. They were well fed and paid, the only rule was to never enter the Master's private chamber unless the door invited in and not to discuss the habits of their employer.

Carpenter purchased horses, carriages, built a beautiful stable to house them and hired a man to care for them.

Elise appeared at a bank that had been established in the late 1600 and deposited a large amount of cash in Carpenter's name. She explained to the bank president that her Master was a bit on the eccentric side and slept during the day as he enjoyed all that London's nightlife had to offer. 

The bank president expressed a desire to meet her Master and shortly after sundown Carpenter met the president of the bank at a restaurant and was taken around to the numerous gentleman's clubs and introduced to those in charge. Membership was offered and accepted and he soon became a regular at many of them.

Elise and Carpenter were seen together at many of the finest restaurants to and they had reserved the best seats in the house at the numerous theaters. Alone at night he explored the oldest graveyards especially the ones that were allegedly haunted and searching for more of his kind. What he encountered were mindless walking corpses that either ran from him or tried to attack him.

They resided in Germany and in Paris for a short time. Carpenter's mind soaked up the language at such a fast pace that even he was astounded. In less than six months, he could read and write both languages. He attended the night lectures when the topic anything about the supernatural and purchased many of the books recommended by the professors.

He visited his home many times over the course of the years and the King and Queen were always overjoyed to see him. It was never an easy journey due to having to travel at night. He had a map that he and Elise made on their first trip that showed caves and abandoned structures. He hid himself there during the daylight hours.

They had offspring of their own and introduced him to the Prince and Princesses as a distant relative with a direct bloodline to the original King. Carpenter was shocked at how much his friends had aged.

It's been over five years since you first left," Michaud told him over a glass of wine.

"It seems like just yesterday," he responded.

After his friends retired to their respective bed chambers he visited his secret lair. It was pretty much as he had left it although a little dustier than he remembered. He now began the task of preserving the books and artifacts against the ravages of time using the new skills he had acquired.

It took him a week to accomplish this and was satisfied with the results. The door open mechanisms were oiled before he took his leave and returned to London. Elise was happy to see him, but she seemed sad at the same time.

"What ails you?" he asked.

"Tis not worth speaking of for I fear it would only serve to anger you."

"There have never been secrets between us, speak your mind, "he said firmly.

"I have met someone and we have fallen in love. There has even been some talk of marriage for all the good it will do me, she responded.

"You are not a slave. If he is worthy of you then you are free to go," he responded and forced a smile on his face.

"He is a barrister and a damned fine one at that. We met at Lady Baltimore's dinner party while you were away and have been seeing each other almost every day but I will need the King's permission to wed and yours as well.," she continued.

"You have it, but you must never reveal what I am to him or anyone else."

"I will take your secret to my grave," she responded and gave him kiss on the cheek.

Carpenter met the man Elise spoke of at one of the gentleman clubs and they shared a table.

"I am quite taken with your servant," she admitted.

"She is not a servant. She elects to travel with me and assist me and is well paid for her efforts, but I have no real hold on her," Carpenter responded and stared at the man.

His smile brightened and his eyes lit up when he heard this. Carpenter had discovered that by concentrating he was able to feel someone telling him and untruth or being totally honest. This man was totally honest.

"As a King's emissary she will need his permission to wed," Carpenter informed him.

"So she had said."

"If I were you I would waste no more time thinking about it and act."

Published 
Written by The_Count
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments