Find your next favourite story now
Login

13+
The Strange White Man 58

2
2 Comments 2
965 Views 965
1.1k words 1.1k words
Styles rode at a breakneck speed toward the old Delgatto mine because he knew that a posse was forming and would soon give chase. The mine entrance was on top of a hill and there was only one road leading up to it. From this vantage point, he could see if anyone tried to approach.

He remembered seeing it when he first visited Springwood. Due to its location and the fact that the entrance faced to the East he knew it would serve his purpose. Before he rode into town, he had stopped there and took the time to drive a six-foot tall post into the ground in front of the entrance.

He then shaved, cut his hair and donned the steel neck protector he had made. He then dressed in his normal attire and headed to town

"You are making a big mistake," Holly told him.

"I don't think so," was all he said.

Back in Springwood the doctor had just finished patching up the Sheriff and his Deputies when a rider appeared. He had followed Styles as he fled and now returned to inform the forming posse where he had stopped.

A dozen men soon headed out of town toward the mine leaving Carpenter and Brother Sebastian behind.

"We have to get to her, he plans on exposing her to the Sun," Carpenter said as he struggled to control his temper.

"Do not worry my friend, nothing will happen to her or us," the Monk said softly.

Carpenter could only stare at him in disbelief.
"One of my gifts to you was the discovery that we no longer have to fear the sunlight."

"What are you saying?" Carpenter said in disbelief.

"I found this information in all the notes and papers you collected. We can walk in the sunlight again without injury," the Monk continued.

"Nonsense. I've felt the rays of the sun on my skin numerous times and it burned," he informed the Monk.

"But you did not burst into flames did you? Had you remained in the light the pain would have lessened."

The Monk slid the sleeve of his robe up and Carpenter saw the arm had a slightly red tinge to it, the beginning of a tan.

"Holly will panic and probably kill him," Carpenter responded.

"Then we must be there to stop her before she does."

Meanwhile at the entrance to the mine Styles had lashed Holly to the post using the heaviest rope he could purchase, he then took a seat and waited for sunrise. Holly tested the rope when he wasn't looking, they were pretty strong, but she was sure she could escape. It was what Styles would do if she did that concerned her.

He could wound her to the point that she would be too weak to escape and her need for blood would be overwhelming. She would attack him and it would be hard to explain a torn out throat, so she did nothing and waited for Carpenter to come.

She knew he would have a plan to save her from this madman and the rays of the sun. She willed herself to calm down.

The posse soon converged at the bottom of the road leading to the mine and attempted to storm the hill. A hail of gunfire turned them back. Carpenter and Brother Sebastian soon joined the group of men at the bottom of the hill. Carpenter approached and stood with the men as the Monk stood staring at Holly.

"Mister, you are in big trouble. If in you release the girl you will be spared the hangman's rope," the Sheriff yelled through cupped hands.

"I ain't releasing her until sunrise," Styles yelled back.

"Sheriff, this is foolishness. We don't need any more of your men shot," Carpenter said.

"That madman is liable to kill your new bride," the Sheriff responded.

"He may, but a stray or ricochet shot surely will," Carpenter responded.

The Sheriff was starting to hurt from where the Doctor had removed the bullet from his leg. He was hungry and thirsty. He ordered the posse to cease fire and to move further back down the hill. A campfire was set up and soon coffee was on.

Meanwhile, Holly had closed her eyes to contemplate her next move, when it happened. She heard the voice of the Monk inside her head. She concentrated and summoned her night vision and looked down the hill and saw him standing there.

"Miss Holly, can you hear me? Just nod your head and I will see it," the Monk's voice said.

Holly nodded her head.

"Now this will be difficult for you to understand, but do not fear the sunrise. It cannot harm you."

Holly almost screamed aloud. Was this man crazy telling her not to fear the thing that could destroy her?

"Holly, look at Carpenter," the Monk's voice asked.

Holly turned her head and once again narrowed her fantastic vision. She saw Carpenter's face clearly as it was only a few inches away. She saw him smile and nod his head, that was all the assurance she needed.

"There is still the problem of cresting that hill," Carpenter said to the Monk.

"I don't think that will be a problem if this Styles is the showman he fancies himself," was all the Monk said.

The night passed slowly for the posse and the men grew impatient. The Sheriff extracted his pocket watch and flipped it open.

"Sunrise in about ten minutes," he said to all.

"Hey Sheriff, can ya hear me?" Styles yelled down to them.

"I hear ya. What do ya want?"

"If you and your Deputies leave your six shooters on the ground, you can come up. Bring her man and the Padre with you as they need to see this," he responded.

The men dropped their gun belts and slowly trudged up the hill with Carpenter and Brother Sebastian with them. The Sheriff looked at Mexican Bob, one of his Deputies and nodded. The man nodded back. What Styles didn't know was that Mexican Bob was an expert knife thrower and that he had two throwing knives hidden on his person.

They were about a foot away from Styles when he ordered them to stop.

"In about two minutes you will see that everything I tried to tell you is true," was all he said.

Published 
Written by The_Count
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments