Find your next favourite story now
Login

G
The Strange White Man Part 15

3
2 Comments 2
1.3k Views 1.3k
1.1k words 1.1k words
Holly departed the following night leaving Carpenter to sit and ponder his next course of action. He had dealt with the hunters many times over the years and he had no qualms about killing if it meant survival, but this was the first really intelligent one he had ever encountered.

Keeping a federal marshal as a partner was a brilliant move on his part so there could be no crude attack on him and everything had to be carefully planned. Having a marshal was a witness meant that his word would be taken seriously.

He had enough gold ready to be turned into cash and his bank account in the territorial bank had plenty of available funds. This little town was in for a growth spurt when the rails were laid and the trains started running West to California on a regular basis, that meant that statehood was not far behind it.

He longed to see it happen here as he had seen many such towns over that past hundred years of his time in America. This however would not happen unless the problem of the hunter was addressed as soon as possible. 

As he walked his grounds at night his mind wrestled with this problem and would often see one or both of these men watching him from a distance. He gave no indication that he had seen them unlike the Lakota that had attacked him these men were very noisy.

They followed him always at a distance and continued watching until he entered the house. Once inside he lit the lanterns for their benefit as he needed no light to see and waited until they vanished before he retreated to his place of safety deep within the cave. The idea came to him one evening and after careful consideration he decided to put into action.

He would need some assistance but that wouldn't be a problem.If everything went according to plan there was no way any suspicion would be on him.

Chief Puma was surprised again by the appearance of this strange white man at the entrance to his tent the next evening, it had been some time since he last appeared in the village. Once inside and after the pipe had been lit and smoked Carpenter addressed the Chief.

"I have seen trespassers in your burial grounds," Carpenter said.

"This is not good," the Chief intoned.

"That is why I am advising you."

"When have you seen them?"

"Always at night."

"We shall deal with them"

Carpenter rose and bid the Chief good night and disappeared. Chief Puma went to the tent of Red Owl, his medicine man, and told him of what he had learned. Red Owl began to prepare himself to enter their holy grounds at night.

A small band of the bravest warriors had been selected by Chief Puma to accompany them. They were gathered in the great lodge by the medicine man to be blessed and issued charms to protect them.

Night fell and Dr Vincent and Mr. Faraday readied themselves for another night of keeping and eye on this man called Carpenter. They rode to the top of the ridge that overlooked the Indian burial grounds where they tied their horses and slowly crept down the hill and waited behind some shrubs.

About an hour later they saw the man exit the house carrying what looked like a body wrapped in a blanket in his arms and head toward the fence.

"Is that him?" Faraday asked.

"Gotta be."

"Who is he carrying?"

"Probably that young girl that works for him," Doc Vincent said.

They ran down the hill and full speed in an effort to intercept him as soon as he jumped the fence. They were in the middle of the burial site when they encountered the small band of painted warriors that had entered from the North side unseen.

Faraday drew his weapon and and about a half a dozen arrows struck his chest. The Doctor turned to run when a hatchet flew through the air and buried itself in his back and he fell in mid stride.

Three others gave chase to the third white man that turned and ran, but they never saw him again. They returned to the two fallen bodies and Angry Horse drew his knife ready to take their scalps but Red Owl stopped him.

"No, drag them to the entrance and leave them. There has been enough blood spilled here tonight," he commanded

As soon as the party of Indians had gone, Carpenter lightly dropped to the ground from his hiding place high in the trees still clutching the large black tarp. The tarp had been used to conceal two logs held together by cloth so it bent and gave the impression of being a body.

Carpenter's speed defied the human eye to follow and he ran for a few yards where he dropped the logs and leapt with all his might upwards. He then used the tarp to cover himself, it was a needless worry. So intent on following the path that the braves saw him take that they never looked up.

The following day the bodies were discovered by the sheriff during his Morning ride. The presence of the Lakota arrows in them let the townsfolk know what happened. These two men were probably discovered trespassing on the burial grounds heading toward the mine and promise of all the gold there.

"Well they were warned," the sheriff intoned.

The undertaker prepared the bodies for burial in Potters Field. In the meantime the sheriff got the key to the Doctors room hoping to find the letters of identifications that he had been shown during their first meeting as well as someone to contact, but found only his clothes.

"I don't understand it, this table was full of papers and books," the clerk said.

"Are you sure?"

"I saw it when I delivered his dinner," the desk clerk responded.

"He musta' hidden them someplace safe."

Just before dawn Carpenter returned to his ranch house bearing all the books and papers he recovered from the Doctor's room. He had headed there just after the Indians left the cemetery and since the room was empty the rule about being invited in was not in force.

He placed the books and papers in a strongbox and carried it to the cave. He was certain they would make interesting reading and help him in the future when he encountered other hunters. He then allowed himself to relax as his secret was safe for the time being.

The following Evening he telegraphed Holly and told her to expect him on the following night.

Published 
Written by The_Count
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments