Find your next favourite story now
Login

G
The Strange White Man Part 22

"Cousin Jasper arrives."

3
3 Comments 3
1.3k Views 1.3k
743 words 743 words
The man who had been Aunt Lilly was now Cousin Jasper Sloan. Shortly after he arrived at the hotel he combined two of the trunks he brought with him into one. Before switching disguises he contacted the desk clerk who arranged to have that one trunk taken to the train station where it would be shipped to the train station near his home to await being picked up.

 It was tall dapper looking gent that arrived on the Thursday morning train and Marcus was on the platform waiting for his arrival. Marcus thought him a dandy by the cut of his clothes and the way he talked, but as he was open and friendly this was overlooked. He told Marcus that he was looking forward to spending time in the wild west. Marcus smiled to himself, all Easterners think that anything West of the Rockies is the wild west.

He was stayed at the ranch house long enough to store his truck before he requested a mount and rode into town to have lunch at a local eatery. He was an accomplished rider and it was an effort to look clumsy as he rode up and attempted to hitch his horse to the post, it was the sheriff that assisted him.

"You new in town?" the sheriff asked.

"Yes, I am visiting my cousin, you know him as Mr. Carpenter."

He invited the sheriff to join him and over their coffee, they chatted. Sitting across the table the sheriff was unable to see any of Aunt Lilly in the face of the man he faced.

"Your cousin is kind of strange," the sheriff stated.

"How do you mean?"

"He is not seen much during the day."

"Oh that's because when he was traveling in the tropics he contracted malaria and now the sunlight hurts his eyes."

"Yeah, I heard about that disease."

He lingered in town until just before dusk before he returned to the ranch to wait for his friends. It was shortly after the sun had set that Carpenter and Holly appeared, and though they had just parted company a day ago the meeting was filled with hugs and laughter.

Holly was once again stunned at the how Lafayette looked in this new disguise as there was no resemblance to Aunt Lilly or his normal self. The three of them sat on the porch enjoying the cool night air where they talked. After a bit he asked Holly to stand up and slowly turn around and he studied her face and figure and made mental notes.

"You will need to give your foreman some instructions," Lafayette said to Carpenter.

"What do you need done?"

Friday arrived and the ranch hands were up and busy tending the cattle and horses. Marcus had been instructed to take a post in the upper portion of the barn with a spyglass and keep watch. When he saw a cloud of dust on the upper road he descended and went straight to the ranch house door where he knocked.

"There's someone on the road," he said through the closed door.

"Thank you," came the response in Holly's voice.

Stiles was up on the main road and had a spyglass of his own trained on the back door of the ranch. Now to see if that old woman had told him a fib. Just then the door opened and Holly stepped into the bright sunlight carrying a basket of clothes. Stiles took the spyglass away from his face and rubbed his viewing eye before he looked again.

It was the girl all right. He saw the long tan colored skirt hugging her rounded hips and the white blouse barely contained her generous endowments. He kept watching as she moved from the washtub to the clothes line, the sunlight glistening off her long golden hair.

"This cannot be, " he said aloud to himself as he kept watching. Some of the ranch hands shouted and waved at her as they moved past the house and she in turn waved back and blew them kisses.

"This simply cannot be" he said aloud to himself again.

She had literally leaped across the table in an attempt to attack him when she saw the blood from his arm and now here she was standing in the bright sunlight unharmed by the powerful rays. He kept watching until she finished with her laundry and reentered the house.

Disgusted he headed back to town.

Published 
Written by The_Count
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your imaginative stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments